Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: What is the exact title or opus number of this piece?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:50 am 

Hi everyone, I found a very simple but beautiful piece on YT but cannot identify it properly. So could anyone help me?
This is a performance for four hands by Boris Berezovsky and the late Brigitte Engerer who passed away in the last month (That news made me very sad :( )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXM0pypkbc
The uploader (Marinsky Theatre) wrote just that it is a Nocturne of "Ferenc Liszt". After some googling I found "Ferenc" is just the Hungarian lettering of "Franz". But I can find nothing elsewhere about this piece. It's very strange, because I thought at the first listening it is familiar to me, and supposed it is a very famous piece.

Post subject: Re: What is the exact title or opus number of this piece?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Hye-Jin,
Indeed, that does sound familiar, but I can't place it either. Sorry... :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

It's the second of the 3 Petrarch Sonets (Sonnetto 104 del Petrarca). The 4-hand version is a little different, but not necessarily better, than the original.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:23 pm 

Monica, Chris, thank you both of you!
Ah.... Petrarca... It's a bit embarrassing that the title is too familiar to me... :oops:
As you pointed out, Chris, I don't know why this four hand version exists. Just from hearing I couldn't distinguish this from the original. Maybe just to expand the four hands repertoires??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

hyenal wrote:
As you pointed out, Chris, I don't know why this four hand version exists. Just from hearing I couldn't distinguish this from the original. Maybe just to expand the four hands repertoires??

I did not know this 4-hand version either. But I know the original well and noticed many small deviations in figuration and harmonisation. I don't find it an improvement on the original, and I wonder why these artists did not choose some original 4-hand repertoire.
I was not aware Brigitte Engerer had died. Very sad, at an age just half a year younger than me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:51 pm 

Yes, she died before she turns to 60. She had been fighting with a cancer for a long time. Even so she played the Schumann concerto in a concert just for about 10 days before her death. A life which was completely devoted to the art.