piano competition

General discussions, error reporting, and feature requests.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Site Admin

Re: piano competition

Postby pianolady » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:31 pm

88man wrote:Alfonzo is right, Monica, I didn't know VC Foundation also had an Amateur Competition as well. I was referring to the Professional Competition. By all means, go for it if you and your friends are up to it!

Yes, I thought you were talking about the VC Amateur Competition. That is what the documentary, "They Came to Play" is based upon. And really I don't care about 'regular' competitions at all. I don't watch them, I don't care who wins, etc.... To me, amateur competitions are much more interesting because of the people involved.

88man wrote:On the other hand, a part of me wants to excel, not by competing with anyone else, but to compete within myself to see what I can achieve. I am at a point in life where I am secure, have more than I need, so I have nothing to lose if I enter. In retrospect, I feel my musical run was cut short because of education, career, time, etc. Perhaps a competition might provide the incentive to work towards the goal of completing the larger works from where I left off years ago... If I were to play for 2011, I'd have to start now to rebuild my former repertoire in order to play near 30 minutes, let alone 60 minutes. I wish had your vast repertoire-on-demand.

Well you hit the nail on the head - competing with myself is exactly the approach I took. I admit that I strayed from time to time and actually had some grandiose ideas, but really I needed to prove to myself that I could do something like this. That I would have the guts. Also, I just wanted to see what it was like to be in a competition. And yes - there certainly is no better practice motivating factor than knowing you are soon going to be playing in a competition. I practiced my heart out these past few weeks. And because of that, I got some of my pieces into much better shape than how I had played them before.

88man wrote:You see that my feelings are mixed either way. I don't have the time necessary to prepare for a competition, 1-2 hrs a week won't cut it. I don't want to make a promise that I cannot keep. If I work at it, and if I have enough pieces ready to enter before the deadline, I wouldn't mind entering the competition. But, that's a lot of "if's." Perhaps, it might at least give me an incentive to practice towards it. I will inform you if I make any headway towards 2011, if not perhaps 2013?...

Ok, if you enter, then I will too. I'll just keep it a secret from my husband for awhile. :lol:
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Re: piano competition

Postby 88man » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:08 am

OK, Monica. I am on vacation next week, so I'll think about all this more clearly. You know, if anything positive comes out of mounting a long term effort such as preparing for an amateur competition, it's fulfilling a dream of performing pieces that I never quite finished. I have lived by the motto that it is better to try and fail, rather than to prove that it can't be done... :)
"Nobility of spirit has more to do with simplicity than ostentation, wisdom rather than wealth, commitment rather than ambition." ~Riccardo Muti

Return to “General”