Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: piano competition
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:58 am 

Pianolady wrote:
Quote:
there is this group of pianists who go around entering competitions all over the place. I had no idea! And I doomed!!! But that's okay - I'm still giving it my best shot and try to remember to just enjoy myself and take in the experience.
Hi Monica, you can't move up if you're looking down. Yes, there is an aggressive group of perpetual competitors, as some have ego's the size of Texas. Don't be intimidated these few who have to show off their "greatness" to others through incessant competitions - it's a form of insecurity. You're not like that. I say find the greatness within yourself by communicating your musical passion through your understanding and creative spirit. By now, don't worry about the notes or infinitesimal particulars of the music... Put it all behind you. Just focus your attention on the clarity of your musical voice/message. Find this voice, and you'll be surprised how many with which you will connect... Don't forget to smile! Good Luck! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:08 am 
Site Admin

Thank you Hye-Jin, Sarah, Theresa, and George. I appreciate your kind words very very much! :D

@Hye-Jin - I play on Thursday June 24th at exactly 11:36 in the morning (my time :wink: ). If everybody could say a little prayer right then, that would be great!

@Sarah - that's nice to know about that teacher. And yes - I aim to have fun (after I'm done playing on Thursday... :lol:)

@Terez - your excuse will not fly. More than half of the competitors have piano performance degrees (see why I'm worried?).

@George - what you said puts things in the right perspective, for sure! And I totally understand and feel those words very deeply. I just don't want to bomb and make a total fool of myself. But you can count on me smiling; at least I don't have to practice that! :wink:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:54 am 

All of the amateur competitions I have looked at said that a piano performance degree would disqualify you, but I have to admit I haven't looked into it that much.

I don't pray but if I am awake at that hour I will play some Chopin for you. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:33 pm 

Hi Monica,

Best wishes also from here -and I utterly second George's advice.

Be yourself (it's not that bad!) :wink:

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:01 pm 

Quote:
@Hye-Jin - I play on Thursday June 24th at exactly 11:36 in the morning (my time :wink: ). If everybody could say a little prayer right then, that would be great!

That is 6:36 pm in Germany! Ok, I'll say a prayer right then :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:06 am 

I will be sure to say a prayer, too. I think it will be an hour earlier here since I'm in the southwest.

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:42 am 
Site Admin

Thank you, Alfonso. Just be myself - ok, I can do that. :)

Hye-Jin and Sarah - you are like angels :) Thank you again!

(can angels cure illness? I woke up this morning with a sore throat and fever. Of all the time! :x )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:21 am 

It usually happens that way; stress weakens the immune system. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Terez wrote:
It usually happens that way; stress weakens the immune system. :(

True. I took a lot of vitamin C pills yesterday and today - also ibuprofen to knock my fever down. I'm still pretty achy all over - especially my arms. I doubt I can get any decent practicing done today. On the bright side, I lost 5 pounds! About three weeks ago I was dress shopping for this event and fell in love with a certain dress and bought it even though it was sort of tight around the stomach area. Now it's looser - I may actually be able to breathe while playing! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 pm 

Hi Monica, this is an opportunistic malady at an inopportune time! I bet you're not getting your essential sleep?! If your sinuses are starting to become affected, I prescribe Augmentin 875/125 to patients, but ask your physician ASAP. Losing 5lbs might sound dandy to you, but not at the expense of becoming dehydrated. Besides losing electrolytes in the process, the body is also trying to clear all the extra vitamin C. So drink a lot of liquids and fruit juices! Again, quality sleep is the key to recovery... The angels have been summoned. :wink:

Get Well Soon!
George

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:37 pm 

Does NyQuil sleep count as 'quality' sleep? :lol: That's what I do when I'm sick. NyQuil at night; Advil Cold & Sinus in the day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi George and Theresa -

Usually my sinuses are the first thing that get inflamed and infected when I'm sick. But this time my sinuses are fine. It's my throat that hurts. If I still have a fever when I wake up tomorrow, then I will for sure go to the doctor to get some Augmentin. And for some weird reason I cannot take over-the-counter cold medicines. If the label says "does not cause drowsiness" - then it does for me and vice-versa. And George - I agree that sleep is extremely important. I think I'll be able to sleep okay the next two nights; that will help my body fight off whatever I've got. I'm worried about Wednesday night, though. I doubt I will sleep at all and that's the night when I'll need it the most! Oh well...I'll live...

Summoning the angels - I like that. :)

p.s. does wine count as fruit juice? :lol: that's what I'm drinking right now. (really, it numbs me)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

I hope you get well soon. Nobody deserves to fall ill at such a crucial moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:12 pm 

techneut wrote:
Nobody deserves to fall ill at such a crucial moment.

Yes, the other competitors! :mrgreen:

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

hhahaha - that's funny because I was sort of thinking that all the competitors will be sitting in the audience and mentally throwing poisoned darts at whomever is up on stage, so now we're even.

The good news is that I don't have strep throat. I went to nearby clinic this morning to get a throat culture and it turned up negative. So what I have is simply a virus that has to run its coarse. I'm just thankful that I have it now and it should be gone by Thursday (at 11:36 :lol: ). There's always a bright to side everything! :)

I do have a question to anyone who has an opinion: Do you think judges give 'extra points' if you play by memory, even if the rules say that you don't have to?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next