Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: New Piano
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:12 am 

Hello
Quite a surprising and random buy for my family and me but, my parents just purchased a Storey (Story?) and Clark Walnut grand piano from the year 1935 for $700. I'm to pay them before it becomes mine, but I'm going to work at it. We'll keep our Kimball, so I'll have three keybaords at home. I'm quite excited about the piano. I'm working more, so that should come faster. While it is old, I've heard that old is sometimes better and when it's that kind of a deal, who could refuse? It has ivory tusk keys, so that should be something kind of valuable.
It is in mostly good condition and I'm excited to hear what it sounds like when it is tuned. I can't wait to post the first recording.
My supervisor at work wants to get an ensemble going with the other faculty which should be fun.

I wondered what you all thought of the Storey and Clark pianos. I also wondered something else my brother pointed out. Seems he's noticed a clicking of the sound on the grand pianos that doesn't happen on our Kimball which is why he likes the Kimball very well. So I was just curious if you knew anything about it.
I also wonder about refinishing the piano to make it look new. Is that a good or bad idea on an antique piano?

I'm pretty excited to have a decent grand piano for the price. I hope, when it's tuned, that you'll agree as well.

Thanks for the input in advanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:48 am 
Site Admin

While I have heard of Story & Clark pianos, I've never played or even seen one in person. $700 is dirt-cheap for a grand piano. What kind of finish is on the piano? Are the hammers, felts, and soundboard in good condition? You must have checked these things out prior to purchasing the piano, right? Yes, we will look forward to hearing it once it is tuned.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:46 am 

We got to play on it tonight. We know of the person who has worked on the instrument. He says the soundboard looks fine and everything. There seems to be a slight problem with the foot pedal, but once that's fixed and it's in tune, she said it should play like a brand new one. Might be a bit of expense before it's all said and done, but it'll be worth it I think. I enjoyed playing on it tonight. I don't know what drew me to it, but something said it was mine, even though it was old. :)
The finish is Walnut. Seems to have a few scratches, but I don't know if we'll refinish it up with anything. I'm wanting to preserve the antique as much as possible.
Part of the reason it was dirt cheap is because the lady selling it is moving to assisted living, so she couldn't bring her piano with her. She said some people don't like to look at old pianos, which is understandable, but if you think of the story called The Touch of the Master's Hand, it seems sort of odd. There is a great dynamic range on the piano. I have a lot of work to do if I want to do all of these things for it. :)

Here's the link to that story. Just because I like it.
http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~tbushey/quote.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Seems like it will be a nice piano for you. I probably wouldn't refinish the entire piano, either. You can just touch up the scratches. Maybe you can take some pictures of the piano and show us?

Post subject: yes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:02 pm 

Yes, will do.

We have to clean the house first before we bring it in. Especially if we have to move the Kimball downstairs.

With my brother's keyboard, my parents keyboard, and kimball, and the new piano, I could almost have a small group class. I'll have to think about that one. :)

Alison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, but I can't open any of your files. I do not have Gmail, nor do I want to open up a Gmail account because I already have more than enough accounts. You'll have to put these up as attachments. And I thought you were going to put this in the Piano Forum...

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:58 pm 

I can't delete these last two messages for some reason, could you help me? I'll move it to the piano forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:49 am 
Site Admin

Ok, done. Don't forget to put up your images and audio clip as attachments.

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:21 am 

OK, got it done. I've got another clip with the lid up, too.