Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: would like to help out
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:39 pm 
hello all

i am quite new to your site but immediately fell in love with it, except of some glitches. by discussing these with chris breemer, i offered myself as a helping hand. he invited me to enter the forum and introduce myself to the rest of the crew.

to not get lost in memories, i'll keep things short here. i'm rather a listener because my own career as a hobby musician is easily overseeable. i also do not play the piano but percussions/drums and tried guitar. however, my love for music was quite borderless up to a point not so far ago when i decided to strive the mainstream from my brain and began to concentrate on classics, avantgarde and folklore. the internet, and especially your site, helped me a lot in orientating. i'm still rather a nerd than a geek when it comes to classics. but i'm a fast adaptor.

my economic career has rather nothing to do with all this. i was an industrial merchant, bored of my fellows, as i decided to study social sciences. system and milleu theory were my most loved subjects. this is probably why i'm so interested in open internet communities. however, the real reason might be my second nature.

i was always interested in technique, had an intellivision gaming console and, later, a commodore 64. the amiga 600, and some tries in composing technos, followed until i got in touch with unix and the internet at university. from this time on i privately studied linux and software architecture. i also wrote my diploma about new medias in social research and was proofed vocally (how is this called?) in "medias in education". to finance my living, i programmed in php4 and sql and did other it-jobs. i think that my experiences are quite advanced, though i don't see myself as a real geek. i always knew some geeks, and they were more focused on certain subjects than i am. i'm rather the multi-talent, administering my own self-brewn linux system and discussing project design issues on mailing lists etc. you will find some older articles at osnews.com under my name. the rest is boring facts, like all the programming languages i already used for some purpose, etc.

however, i did not settle somewhere yet. mainly because i'm not that an evangelist for some specific project. i rather criticise the linux community and today's IT and work on ideas to get out of some dead ends. this will take me some time. until then i have lots of time because i'm also without job at the moment.

chris asked me some questions i want to answer shortly here:

"Don't get me wrong, we could do with some help, both on the technical side (e.g. site performance and tuning, limiting bandwith usage, etc) as well as with the daily management of submissions and site updates. Would you consider doing that as well ? I can see from your web activity that you know a lot about Linux, which can come in handy (e.g. system management, installing software, etc). For example I've tried to install Java and 'Telnet over Http' but failed miserably. Are you well versed in http, php, phpbb, mysql, apache, etc ?"

i'm rather a maintainer and programmer but not the network and security expert. hardening down things is something i still try to learn on my self-brewn linux system. however, installing software and configuring it (to please the user's wishes) is not a problem. because i'm new to this site, i'd not want to overtake anything too important (making you dependent on me and my spare time.) i'm also good for stupid repetitive work because i'm somehow immune to it. for example, i'd like to rename all filenames of the mp3-files, following a more elaborated scheme, to make them more expressive and sort better in file managers and jukeboxes.

awaiting your demands,
dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:58 pm 

Welcome aboard! Will you ever submit a recording of you playing any musical instrument :wink: :P ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:59 am 

I'm suspicious ... it's too easy. Maybe you're an industrial spy from a rival site bent on sabotaging and overtaking the world???

j/k .... nice to meet you, and don't believe anything Chris said about me! :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:39 am 
many thanks for the hugs. no, i'm not a spy, i'm from homeland security 8) while doing my observation on terroristic activities on this site, i detected a hidden forum called 'general'. for clearance: i sometimes only get it listed after a second login. seems to be a roaming forum :shock: action should follow :twisted:

juufa72, possibly i'll upload one of my technos :D though... :oops:

Post subject: is it my nose?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:35 am 
don't get me wrong. i don't worry. will invest my energy into an other project..

best wishes,
dennis