Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Jan 2008 statistics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:12 am 
I saw the january download statistics last time 5-6 days ago, and I remember a number of download
of "my" files between 10000 and 11000. Now I see they are about 8500....
For example, I remember perfectly that "Ciaikovski - seasons- June" was about 250 and now it's 58.
Schubert D959 I movement was more than 300 and now it's 43. The only file that maintain the same precedent levels is Chopin 48-1.
The 4-5 days ago values were the same of the average download of my file in the last months, the actual value is about one half. Which is the correct value (actual or last days/months)?
Thank you and all best,
Sandro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:24 am 
Site Admin

The statistics program has not changed for quite a while. But Robert has recently implemented rules to ban auto-downloaders and other suspicious clients, to we'd expect the numbers to go down, and - hopefully - be more realistic. Not sure what you mean about these two valued being different.

As for the Tchaikovsky Seasons June, maybe they're all downloading my version now :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:01 pm 
>The statistics program has not changed for quite a while. But Robert has recently implemented rules to ban auto-downloaders and other suspicious clients, to we'd expect the numbers to go down, and - hopefully - be more realistic.

Only I find curious that , in the first 4-5 positions of the list, the only who diminuish the daily average download is myself. In other words, about half of the downloads of my recordings ( as listed one week ago) were done by "auto-downloaders and other suspicious clients" , and Breemer,
Alianello and other ones in the first positions were regular and continue about at the same download rythm.

>Not sure what you mean about these two valued being different.

In the last 4-5 months (and also in janury data as read from me one week ago) the average downloads of "my" files was about 1000 a day.
No one of my files had that high number of monthly downloads (6,7K or more) that cause the suspect of "auto-downloaders and other suspicious clients". Now, with the values that I read today, the daily average download of my files become about 500 a day. I find this strange (considering, I repeat, the fact that others in high list position preserve their daily average download as in old values ), and the question was if I have to consider correct this values or the "old" ones.

>As for the Tchaikovsky Seasons June, maybe they're all downloading my version now

This is only a demontration of good taste. But remain that about 200-250 downloads of this
file (in my version) in the ststistics of 6 days ago and the actual value of 58 make me curious.

All best,
Sandro.

All best,
Sandro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Sandro Bisotti wrote:
Only I find curious that , in the first 4-5 positions of the list, the only who diminuish the daily average download is myself. In other words, about half of the downloads of my recordings ( as listed one week ago) were done by "auto-downloaders and other suspicious clients" , and Breemer,
Alianello and other ones in the first positions were regular and continue about at the same download rythm.

Could well be. Certain recordings are especialy popular and get downloaded massively, mostly by the same few clients (we suspect they have it looped in some web media player).

Sandro Bisotti wrote:
In the last 4-5 months (and also in janury data as read from me one week ago) the average downloads of "my" files was about 1000 a day.
No one of my files had that high number of monthly downloads (6,7K or more) that cause the suspect of "auto-downloaders and other suspicious clients". Now, with the values that I read today, the daily average download of my files become about 500 a day. I find this strange (considering, I repeat, the fact that others in high list position preserve their daily average download as in old values ), and the question was if I have to consider correct this values or the "old" ones.

Yes, I see your point. Haven't looked at the stats recently, but I am not sure this can be explained in any way. Maybe things will stabilize now that the filtering is in place.

Sandro Bisotti wrote:
This is only a demontration of good taste. But remain that about 200-250 downloads of this
file (in my version) in the ststistics of 6 days ago and the actual value of 58 make me curious.

Hehehe, i was only joking. I'll have a look. Not sure I can explain it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:20 pm 

*trying not to look suspicious* I certainly did not hack Sandro's page ... I'm appalled that you'd even accuse me of something like that! :lol: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:46 pm 
nathanscoleman wrote:
*trying not to look suspicious* I certainly did not hack Sandro's page ... I'm appalled that you'd even accuse me of something like that! :lol: :P

Mmmm. Excusatio non petita.... (When someone justify himself without being accused...)
:) :)

All best,
Sandro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

nathanscoleman wrote:
*trying not to look suspicious*

But not doing a very good job of it... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:15 am 
Site Admin

I cannot really explain everything either but I try to summarize some changes.

At 2008-01-11, the front web-server was changed from Apache to lighthttpd to handle load better and to provide better filtering abilities. This has proved very successful with no performance problems since then and also, the hotlink protection really works with lighthttpd while in Apache, it could easily be tricked. Many Chinese sites did build their own applications around the recordings on the site and stole the bandwidth. Also, some people did build up playlists and then forgot them on and kept them looping the same recordings over and over again. Hopefully, the new protection against this works better than before. I think that after 11th of January, we will have more reliable download statistics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

The date of the stats is changing, but not the numbers.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:50 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
The date of the stats is changing, but not the numbers.

That's because Chris needs to do some reprogramming. I will do dirty fixes once a week or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

I have fixed the stats program so that at least the statistics for the current month are kept up-to-date. For the moment these can be found in the "Cumulative Statistics". The logic of my program needs to be revisited now that the logs are split, zipped, and renamed. I will do that when I have some time to spare. Interesting statsfor this month... there seems to be a rabid Mazurka lover out there :shock:
And of course Joffrey's Mondschein is an evergreen as always.