Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Names
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:22 pm 

I don’t know if others have this same problem. On the main performance sites there are sometimes photos of music book covers which usually cover part of the compositions’ and pianists’ names. I often can’t read which compositions are on the site or pianists’ names playing them. Could the names be placed under the artwork?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

John, is your window opened up all the way? If mine has somehow opened up smaller than full size, then the pictures are on top of the writing, but if I click the expand button (upper right-hand corner), then the picture moves over. Although, I have a wide-screen monitor so maybe that's why. It probably depends on your monitor or laptop.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:08 am 
Site Admin

This is unfortunately the way Exponent (our web authoring software) works. You just need to be sure your window is not sized too small. Things are not helped by the right column (which we did not have in the beginning) and the left column (which has gotten wider since the start) so that there os less and less space available for the actual page. But I don't feel like omitting the images, or placing images and text on top of each other, that would spoil the good look of our pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:25 am 

I have a 17" monitor (1024x768), and I have the overlap problem at full size windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:31 am 
Site Admin

This is mostly my fault and we are, as Chris already said, aware of it.
I run at 1920 x 1280 and still on my 15,4" laptop, I think this resolution work well. But I have very good eyes ;). Most people looking at my laptop goes WTF! How can you see anything at all.
Would it be better to skip the right column to save space and put everything in the header? Or perhaps organize things differently? It is not an easy task.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:10 am 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Would it be better to skip the right column to save space and put everything in the header? Or perhaps organize things differently? It is not an easy task.

I have never been a fan of that right column as you know. I don't see why we need it, and if we really really do, why it has to be so wide. Moving all that stuff to the header would fix the overlap problem but not the space shortage. Already now most of the top half of the screen is eaten up by links, ads, buttons, and banners. It would be ugly to add another layer onto that - and it does not look exactly tidy righ now. Perhaps the solution is to abandon the logo banner to create more space...

Post subject: monitor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:35 pm 

Monica, I don't have a wide-screen monitor. I almost always open the window to the max. The pictures still cover the print. When the picture is a dark color, I can't see any of the print under it. I usually can't read the name of the pianists and sometimes not even the complete title of the composition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:00 am 
Site Admin

We can get rid of the right column, move the news feed and other stuff to the bottom of the left column. But as soon as you expand the artists, composers, they will drop down so much that nobody will see them but perhaps that is good enough anyway? It is also possible to rearrange only the first page into resizable columns and keep less information in these columns and rather important news. Hard to describe in words but I can make a test and see how you like it.

IMSLP drive a lot traffic to our site so they are important to keep visible. I have an agreement with Pianoteq to keep their logotype visible until 2007-12-31 so I must do that.

Bidvertiser...I have been running them for September and tested different settings and it is not worth it. It will only provide about $30 per month so I will remove them as soon as I get the time. The ads also makes the load response of each page slower.

Post subject: Names
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:14 am 

I already noticed that you moved the photo to the right on the site page of Bach Preludes, Fantasies and Fugues. Thanks. Now I can see Chris Breemer's name all 23 times. :lol:

Robert, I don't know where you find the time to do all of this work on the site. Please realize that most of us appreciate it very much even though we don't tell you often enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, many of you keep thanking me a lot ;).

On complete sets, we sometimes remove all artist names as it get kind of repetitive. Perhaps we should always do so. I also like the new table look that Chris has introduced here and there. But just the idea of changing all tables of the site. Arghh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:46 pm 

robert wrote:
I run at 1920 x 1280 and still on my 15,4" laptop, I think this resolution work well. But I have very good eyes ;). Most people looking at my laptop goes WTF! How can you see anything at all.

I just got mine to work at 1280x1024 for the first time. That's the smallest it will go.

Post subject: Re: Names
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:29 am 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
I already noticed that you moved the photo to the right on the site page of Bach Preludes, Fantasies and Fugues. Thanks. Now I can see Chris Breemer's name all 23 times. :lol:

Pictures were always on the right side... I can't see what has changed in this page :?:
I will rework the little prelude tables to the new layout so as to get rid of some ofl these names :lol:
And put your Fantasia on the page if Robert doesn't beat me to it.