Liszt section

General discussions, error reporting, and feature requests.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Liszt section

Postby Anonymous » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:02 pm

please fix your liszt section. follow searles catalog instead of making groupings yourself.

Site Admin

Re: Liszt section

Postby robert » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:17 pm

funper wrote:please fix your liszt section. follow searles catalog instead of making groupings yourself.

Liszt as well as other composer does not fit very well to the hierarchy Composer -> Genre -> Work because he did not compose very much in genres. But I do not understand how to group his work in any other way using a generic structure. Do you suggest we list all his work on a single page in the SXXX structure? That would not look very nice and what should we name the "genre" under Liszt? Liszt's work?

Postby juufa72 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:11 pm

I believe that placing everything on one page following the S.XXX format would be ideal. However, like Mr. Robert said, it would be a mess. Much like's's an eye sore. Therefore I reason that PS should leave it as it is, but merely add in the S numbers to each recording. (As it does with BWV in the Bach page).
Madam, what makes you think that I play with my hands?

Postby Anonymous » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:25 am

Searle ordered Liszt's works thematicly. You should take a look at the cataloge, it is available on IMSLP.

Well I didn't exactly meant ordering all works on the same page. Rather, following Searles structure, and creating pages, like "Piano and Ochestra" (e.g. Concertos), "Original piano works" (Sonata, 5 Klavierstücke), "Works in Dance form" (e.g. Mephisto waltz), "Fantasies", "Paraphrases", "Transcriptions". What do you recon?

Site Admin

Postby techneut » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:23 pm

I see you are a bit of an authority on Liszt and a great contributor to IMSLP, so now I understand your request better.

Having looked at these Searle categories there are not many of them - a great chunk of his work is lumped up in one category. Our categorization may be a bit ad-hoc but is more intuitive and useful, and probably what people are most used to. It always makes sense to conform to standards but I agree with Robert that we should probably leave it as it is - obviousy adding S. numbers wherever possible. Reorganizing it all would be a huge task, and we'd have to do it also for Bach, Mozart, and all other composers with an offical cataloguer.
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer

Return to “General”