Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Piano Competitions:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:13 pm 
What do you think about running mini piano competitions here at the site? In this, we would help Piano Society become more interactive and create more fun and challenging environment. What do you think? There are lots of cool ideas we could incorporate to make the competitions more interesting, such as having Bach Partita/Invention competitions, Mozart sonata/concerto competitions, and many more. It would be lots of fun and would also help expand the repertoire of those who participate (which probably would be a lot).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:42 pm 

To be frank: I don't like your idea, but I also do like your idea. I guess I am in the middle somewhere.

Would it be a success? I really don't think it would be. I mean, I can just dig up an old(er) recording from a not-so-famous pianist and put the CD in the home stereo system and record that, saying that I recorded it at our local church or something. Over the internet competitions are prone to cheaters and scams. Unless, you have a video only. But then you are denying 80% of the pianists because most of us do not own video equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:07 pm 
Nobody here will cheat. If they do, (they won't, but if they do), I don't care. Just opening yourself up to new things is all that matters. Cheaters don't ruin it for others, they ruin it for themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:42 pm 

Here's what we used to do in a little piano club I used to belong to here where I live, so that everyone was involved, but it wasn't a competition. We'd collectively contribute to a large performance project once a month, so each person would each be assigned one movement of a Sonata, or one Chopin prelude, for example. Sometimes these were just performed for ourselves in the group, and other times, the classical radio station would come record and air it.

This kind of thing might be an idea to fill the gaps of needed recordings on this site, but, the problems we had in the group here were that some pianists despised (sorry, Monica! I love F.C. too) Chopin, for example, so didn't want to learn him, or did but then played him poorly, which upset the other group members. Or certain members would feel insulted when they were assigned what they deemed to be one of the easiest of the Preludes, for example. "What! Oh, I see, the leader of this project gave me this piece because he/she thinks that my pianistic abilities are so poor I can only handle THAT piece?!". Ay, Karumba.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:13 pm 
Nice idea--it's separate from the main competition idea, but not bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:29 pm 

I don't like the idea at all!
Raymond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:08 pm 

no.

competition should not be a part of music imo.