Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Grand Piano for sale
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:37 am 

I've decided to sell my Baldwin 7' SF-10, with artist bench. It has satin ebony finish. Any interested parties?

Post subject: Re: Grand Piano for sale
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:15 pm 

I guess I didn't fool anyone with my lame April Fool's day joke! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
I guess I didn't fool anyone with my lame April Fool's day joke! :roll:

You fooled me! I read this last night and was a little shocked. But I was on my way to bed and so I planned on responding today.
Good one, Eddy!!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:49 pm 

Quote:
I guess I didn't fool anyone with my lame April Fool's day joke!

Haha! When I first saw this, I didn't think it was April fools because where I am (still Beijing) it isn't April 1st! But my first question was why, as the piano depicted in your recordings sounds very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:54 pm 

Fooled me too, the thought that you were joking never crossed my mind, even though it struck me as odd, because you gave no reason for wanting to sell. One doesn't want to ask, you know, in case it's something really awful, like your going deaf, arthritic, or bankrupt. You would probably disclose it in your own good time, and one would just have to wait patiently until the time is right.

There again, you might have had the good fortune of unexpectedly inheriting a real piano, you know, something a bit less mediocre.

:shock: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN, MEDIOCRE?", :arrow: Relax, that was a joke. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:53 am 

[WARNING: the following is personal. Please don't be offended and don't feel that you have to post any reply. This post is now more of a "group session" for me: "Hello, my name is Eddy, ... and I have ... practice aversion."]

I guess that my joke above was born in a bit of darkness in me. I've been frustrated for some time in that my drive and dedication to practice got derailed by Life Interrupted. From Oct 2010 until November 2012 I felt unstoppable with my need to practice every evening after work and on weekends and I was regaining my technique and advancing in preparation of repertoire for the first time in more than 20 years. PS was very helpful to me. Then I determined to change my work (and I'm much happier with my current situation) but it was an enourmous 10-month interruption that literally took the wind out of my sails. My patterns now aren't the same and though I've been settled for 6-months, I find it difficult to regain/rebuild that drive and hunger that I had before. Now I feel that I look for occasions to do my duty to practice. I believe God gave me talent and opportunity, and I received enviable training, and what do I do ... just let it get stale. Shame on me. Before I was dreaming of programs and playing; now I distract myself with some other valuable things and some other less lofty things.

Well time's up. Don't worry; I'm not suicidal or anything. :) But I bet I'm not the only one with this "problem."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:49 am 

I completely believed you... I just thought you were upgrading to a better instrument...!
(I know very little about a piano just from the make/model number -- I have to play it to know if it's a good one)

Wishing you well in the midst of your life transition.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:33 am 

Hi Eddy,

Good grief, I'm glad it was only a joke! When you said you were selling your Baldwin SF-10, my jaw probably dropped four inches!

I think you're probably in a temporary funk where practicing and playing seems more burden than pleasure. It will pass.

We all have pauses such as yours, although probably not nearly as long. Lately I've been relearning some Rachmaninoff preludes to get them out of the analog world and into the digital realm. Relearning them has been as difficult as learning them the first time decades ago. There have been moments of discouragement, especially if I fall behind in my recording frequency. On top of that, I spent some time trying to find beautiful music of the the contemporary Russian neo-romantics, the heirs of the Russian late romantics. So ugly!!! Was that ever discouraging. I have to stick to Rachmaninoff through June, until I get the piano tuned and get a recording day while my wife is out doing errands. The one month seems like a year away.

So what keeps me focused? After the next Rachmaninoff recording, I'll be surprising people here with unexpected music. Can't wait!

You have a wonderful piano there, Eddy. It should inspire you. While you're reflecting on your relationship to the piano and music, why not prepare two or three easier short works--perhaps from Grieg or Schumann? If you can achieve a modest goal like that, it might be just enough to rekindle your interest and to get you back on track again.

David

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:20 pm 

Thanks David. Good to hear from you!