Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:35 pm 
Interesting fact: Bartok used quarter tones in his second violin concerto. Just another useless piece of info that you can amaze your friends with! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:08 pm 

Conor13579 wrote:
Interesting fact: Bartok used quarter tones in his second violin concerto. Just another useless piece of info that you can amaze your friends with! :lol:

OT: Somehow I don't think my friends will be amazed by that information :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Joffrey wrote:
OT: Somehow I don't think my friends will be amazed by that information :(

What kind of friends are those :shock: ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:24 pm 

The ones that think classical music is mainly used during funerals or dramatic scenes in the lord of the rings movies. (most of them)

back on topic;

http://www.sauter-pianos.de/english/pia ... otone.html

I think the microtone piano at the moment has no real use at the moment. It is an expensive and prestigious instrument with no real music composed for it, and as far as I know no musicians that have mastered it to a point where they can play it like they would play a normal piano in any form of ensemble or solo,

(In holland we would say "brandhout". google translate it if you want)

Although it might be useless now maybe the future will bring exciting music where microtonality will play an important role. Music since recorded history has been evolving and maybe microtonality is the next logical step. Be that as it may I Personally don't think that the large public is ready for it, or capable of enjoying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:22 pm 

Unconventional music can activate an entirely different set of emotions than classical. The point of it is to be very different; alien. I love it.

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Joffrey wrote:
I think the microtone piano at the moment has no real use at the moment. It is an expensive and prestigious instrument with no real music composed for it, and as far as I know no musicians that have mastered it to a point where they can play it like they would play a normal piano in any form of ensemble or solo,

Dutch pianist Maarten van Veen did a pretty good job of it as far as I could hear. But of course it is difficult to judge, the sounds being so alien and unfamiliar.

Joffrey wrote:
Although it might be useless now maybe the future will bring exciting music where microtonality will play an important role. Music since recorded history has been evolving and maybe microtonality is the next logical step. Be that as it may I Personally don't think that the large public is ready for it, or capable of enjoying it.

Certainly so. It may well be that microtonality, like other tonal experiments, will forever remain at the fringes of music, and attract no more than a handful of adventurous composers and musicians.