Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Improvisation No 5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:57 am 

Hi Folks

Hope all are well. Heres a new piano improvisation I recorded which Ive put together with some artwork from a very talented lady called Hasret Brown - she manages to create art which is both organic and elegantly structured, something I aspire to with my music.

Here it is on youtube, I hope you like it :)

http://youtu.be/lbLiGj-npqE

Post subject: Re: Improvisation No 5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:31 am 

Rich, I had a listen to your piece. Though the improvisation was quite simple harmonically, I really enjoyed it, and the way you played it. I think with simpler pieces, compositionally speaking, there is more an opportunity to exploit the expression-range of the piano and also tempo variation. This music is easy to hear and has a relaxing ability that I don't take for granite. And the artwork accompanying the piece is fantastic. What a great combination. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:25 am 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
This music is easy to hear and has a relaxing ability that I don't take for granite.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:37 am 

thanks Riley for the kind words.

Yeah I have a tendency towards keeping things relaxing and flowing naturally - to my taste I find a lot of music purposefully experimental rather than being content to simply go with what works best.

That said, some of my improvisations have a few harmonic twists :)

warm wishes

Rich

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:00 am 

Hi Rich,

I've been a member here for a while, but have been on a bit of a hiatus because life happens. Anyway, I'm working on getting involved in the site again, particularly in the Audition Room and here. I know that it has been a while since you posted this, but I'm ready to throw my 2 cents in for what it is worth.

I listened to your Improvisation No. 5 and found it quite interesting and enjoyable. I usually cringe when I see an "improvisation" posted. Yours has a good flow and several good musical ideas that I believe that you could exploit and turn it into a composition.

While listening to it and after thinking about it after the end, I sort of hear 3 distinct sections. It reminds me a bit of a movie underscore where the music changes as the mood of the scene changes. Although the ideas may flow together seamlessly, in the end it is only truly successful with the movie playing in front of you. (I generally dislike the movie soundtrack recordings for this reason.) You do develop an idea a bit in its section, but once you abandon it, it never returns. At the very least, I would like to hear the first musical idea return (BTW this contains a reference to a hymn, I can't think which because it is the end of the phrase and not the beginning), possibly between the second and the last. You do have some textural contrasts. These should be exploited more. Like I said, you have some great music ideas. I would like to see you take them and apply some intentional structure to it. Repetition is an important structural component -- not just immediate repetition (whether in the form of an exact repetition or a sequence), but throughout the whole form. So if we called your form ABC, I would propose exploring playing with at least ABAC... Listeners need something familiar to hold onto. Your first section, being the first thing that they hear begins that familiarity (like the first person that you meet at a gathering of people that you don't know.) When it is re-heard, it sounds a bit like an old friend (like that person in the gathering who introduces you to other people) and so the new ideas don't seem as unfamiliar.

Well, that's my 2 cents.

Scott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:22 am 

Hi Scott

many thanks for your kind and thoughtful comments. Ive been thinking over what you said. I do make use of structure in my composed pieces, I agree its very important and I find I quickly lose interest in composed pieces that seem to meander without any progress or purpose. In my composed pieces I love it if Im able to develop a theme and then go somewhere else, before returning to it.

I hadnt thought of trying to consciously bring in that kind of structure to my improvs, other than to build to a climax somewhere and to bring it to a natural and hopefully satisfying close. Your suggestion strikes me as a good way for me to develop as an improviser, so I might see if I can pull that off next time.

warm wishes

Rich