Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Fantasie for Orchestra in G minor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 am 

Hello there!

First of all, I' must present myself.
My name is Ken Sukkar, I'm 21 almost 22.
I have much passion about classical music (listening/composing on my piano or computer/recordings)
I'm a student in France, working all days in music when vacations, otherwise i'm in my 2 or 3 years to obtain my diploma to start giving piano lessons. Next september I'll have Jazz courses.

Here is the composition I'm working on for now (work in progress), while waiting to show it to my teacher: http://soundcloud.com/ken-sukkar/fantas ... ra-g-minor

Good listening.

Last edited by SRKen on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Fantasie for Orchestra in G minor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:18 pm 

Hi Ken,

Your piece sounds nice, maybe a bit too short at approx. 1 and a half minutes, but this is a fantastie for orchestra! Maybe we pianist composers could pick it apart, if only you produced a score of this work, no doubt in piano reduction !

Sorry, but you have brought your piece to the wrong place. You might try brightcecilia or composerforum for better feedback. the pianosociety composing chapter is more a forum for people to critique piano recordings.

Best luck,

Riley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:24 pm 

Hello Riley.

Well its a short part of what I'm attending to do with this piece, that's why I called it a Fantasie, I'll show it to my teacher in september then see the direction he'll give me.
First of all I writed it on a music paper, then decided to test it on my computer. I don't have any PDF score, but yes, the firsts steps was on my piano!

I though it was ok for piano society about midi/audio productions, well it's no problem but I'll give the final version when I'll finish this piece, and maybe the score (PDF).

I was about today to record myself playing a piano piece and post it, but didn't have the time! Maybe next week.

I'll check those two forum you listed.

Thanks.

Ken.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:58 pm 

Hello.

I think I'm done with this composition, I mean it's achieved: http://soundcloud.com/ken-sukkar/fantas ... ra-g-minor
Is it still not enough long for a Fantasie?
I need your critics (even though it's not a piano piece :roll: )!

Thanks,

Ken.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:25 am 

Hi Ken,

Quote:
Is it still not enough long for a Fantasie?

If you want my opinion, it's a little on the short side. ~4 minutes is better than 3, but you take a piece like "rhapsody in blue" by Gershwin. A typical performance is 16 to 20 minutes long, depending on the interpretation of the tempo. Why look at rhapsody in blue? It's written in rhapsody form. And it's a beautiful piece, isn't it? At any rate, a Rhapsody is like a fantasie (also spelled fantasy), compositionally speaking. Both are for the most part free-form works. But why do people like rhapsody in blue? It's because there is some method to Gershwin's madness! There is development and with the score space allotted, he did a nice job of organizing his musical episodes and having them fit together cohesively. I wish I could say the same about your piece, but I feel there needs to be more development. To master writing for large scale, I think one must master smaller scale. Have you written for piano? Getting good at music composition means putting in your 10,000 hours. Just like piano, or whatnot. That's my thinking, anyway, FWIW.

Good luck,

Riley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 am 

pianoman342 wrote:
That's my thinking, anyway, FWIW.

FWIW?

Hello Riley.

I noticed that it's missing some developement in my "Fantasie" (I shall change it's name). That is my first large scale/orchestred work, so I kinda like it the way it is. :lol:

Yes, I've composed some pieces before this orchestred piece, on the piano, and actually uploading one of them, just check the new topic in some minutes.

Thanks,

Ken.