All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Royalty free piano music
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:43 pm 

Here’s some royalty free piano music, http://taylorhayward.org/freemusic.htm
Hope this is what you’re looking for!

Post subject: Re: Royalty free piano music
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Nope, I don't think this is what we are looking for. It's all very pretty and amiable, as ambient music should be, but there's little of interest for the classical listener/musician. I sampled a bit of each track and it sounds all the same - depressingly so as I progressed thru the album. I think you might be better off in some other forum.

Post subject: Re: Royalty free piano music
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:20 am 

Mr. Hayward,

I took the liberty of sampling some of your "piano music." I really like how you restate phrases in a subtle way, though these pieces do not strike me as classical.

Notice how I write 'piano music' in quotations, you write on your website you have been composing piano music for 17 years. Yet, I do not see any scores for these pieces, and I assume they were improvised in real time during your recording sessions? And if so, can you really call them "piano music" ? :?

I have a rather straightforward question for you: do you play classical piano? And when I say "play classical piano" I mean pieces by Chopin, Bartok, Kodaly et. al?

If you are trying to grow (in other words, improve) as a composer I suggest you take a listen to some pieces on the pianosociety main site of J.S. Bach. He is usually ranked, year after year, as one of the most influential composers, if not the most by musicologists and music scholars. I am not an ingenius composer by any means, but I have benefited from listening to his fugues, chorales and a number of other pieces by him. I am actually currently working on one of his inventions which is a lot harder to play well than I originally thought.

If you are happy with the level of composition your are currently at, then I don't want to give you advice you don't want. From my personally experience, I use to be a beginner of the first order. I realized I wasn't measuring up to the music of really good composers and so I (no pun intended) faced the music :lol: I am now practicing more often and can tell my music writing is improving from the time I picked up the hobby. That's my two cents.
Hope this helps,

edit: additional thoughts and grammar mistakes

~Riley