Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Suite For Piano And Grand Orchestra
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:41 pm 

Hi guys!

New to the forum!Wanted to share some of my music with you,here are links to the 3 parts of my 'Bulgarian Suite' for Piano and Grand Orchestra in F sharp Minor that is getting published!Would love to hear your thoughts about the piece,here are the links:

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbGxDlNDA14

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_pFw6vLNt4

Part 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbGxDlNDA14

I also uploaded some more of my works!Would be really glad to hear your thoughts/critics about my music,would really appreciate it,thanks!Here's the link to listen to the music:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAtanasov1 ... bGxDlNDA14

Post subject: Re: Suite For Piano And Grand Orchestra
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:35 am 

Victor,
I listened to the first part. I have to tell you that if there's one thing I like even less than digital piano sounds, it's electronic orchestral sounds. It makes it difficult for me to listen, and difficult to understand your intended orchestration. Formally, I found the movement to be too sectioned. It became very predictable when the texture or dynamic or thematic material was going to change. Lastly, I really longed for a leading-tone! You know, the only difference between F# minor and A Major, is the use of E# rather than E. I understand that you wanted the work in F# natural minor (aeolian mode), but I just felt like I missed the power of a genuine dominant chord. Sorry to be critical. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of background and training do you have?

Regards,
Eddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:43 am 

Thanks for the comment Eddy,appreciate your critic,don't mind it at all,that's why I placed the music in here for.The structure of these particular pieces is influenced by the structure of bulgarian national folklore,which is quite different and unique I think.Didn't want to follow the common 'laws' in music,wanted to experiment more with the harmonies.Thanks again for the comment Eddy.

I'm a student at the music conservatoire with piano,studying composition as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:09 pm 

Hi Victor,

I am a composer too and i have to tell you that I liked your music very much. I actually like the modal style an dI do that too in much of my pieces:-)

I like your melodies a lot. It is nice to hear a nice melody in contemporary music as some can be quite harsh to listen too

What is the specific instrumentation?

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:55 pm 

Hi Jennifer,

nice to meet you here:)

Really glad you liked The Suite,glad to hear your appreciation!I love music with a decent melody,harmony,and you're right to say that the contemporary classical music of nowadays is too harsh,too dissonant,seems like the music has disappeared in the noise of it.I believe that music has to be music at first if you know what I mean,no matter if it's been written in the 16-th,or in 21-st century.It should express its composers' feeling,thoughts,religious believes if you want,and a decent melody/harmony should be the drive of it.Of course music should evolve,but I don't think the nowadays avangard is the way to.My opinion though!

Really enjoyed your piano pieces,the one called 'To Scriabin'is my favourite,had a sneak preview on the cdbaby page,quite good,congatulations for it!

Regards!

Victor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:24 pm 

Forgot to mention about the orchestration:

It's been composed for a full symphonic orchestra,some of the instruments vary throughout the separate parts though.It's been composed for sections-Flute(two flute sections in the first part),Oboe,Clarinet in A,Basson,English Horn in Parts 2 and 3,Horn in F,Trumpet in B,Trombone,Tuba,Timpani,Cymbals,Tambourine,Triangle,Gong,Cymbals,Snare Drum,Piano,Violin 1,Violin 2,Viola,Violoncello,Contrabass.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:26 am 

Wow that's a big orchestra! Congratulations on your hard work!

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:58 am 

musical-md wrote:
Victor,
I listened to the first part. I have to tell you that if there's one thing I like even less than digital piano sounds, it's electronic orchestral sounds. It makes it difficult for me to listen, and difficult to understand your intended orchestration. Formally, I found the movement to be too sectioned. It became very predictable when the texture or dynamic or thematic material was going to change. Lastly, I really longed for a leading-tone! You know, the only difference between F# minor and A Major, is the use of E# rather than E. I understand that you wanted the work in F# natural minor (aeolian mode), but I just felt like I missed the power of a genuine dominant chord. Sorry to be critical. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of background and training do you have?
Regards,
Eddy

unfortunately Eddy has a point ...
music in primarily sound ( even though the mind processes it into non-sound signals ) so when you have a rich orchestration the difference between real and virtual instruments becomes abysmal ... to the point that the musical effect is spoiled ...
the harsh reality of life is that with the number of tracks in Victor's suite a high level mixing/mastering job would run at 100 $ per minute, and a human performance by a cheap czech orchestra to 1000 $ ...
personally I learned in time to downsize my orchestration ... still certain pieces that I deemed valid from a musical point of view I had to throw away for lack of a satisfactory mixing solution ...
... try your hand with a solo tenor trombone line !!! whatever you do, it will sound not only bad but rather irritating !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:44 am 

Hi Victor,

I had a listen to your orchestral suite. I think you have some good orchestration, and the pictures are nice, but I confess I did not feel totally drawn in like I am, inextricably, for example, by Brahms 3rd Symphony. That said, not many composers can create something that original for a large ensemble, IMO. I liked your 2nd movement and the crash cymbals in the third section caught my attention :lol:. Your melodies and harmonies do not seem terribly gritty, instead, the opposite. I have a challenge if you want to take it. For your next piece, write a lot of dissonant melodies. Maybe not all dissonants but like icing on a cake, a few good dissonants in a consonant piece makes for a bit of drama that can make a piece sound good IMO.

Thanks for sharing,

look forward to your future pieces,

~Riley