Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Halloween
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:56 pm 

As the song went in the Silver Burdett and Ginn book, back in my third grade years, we were taught to sing along and learned how to spell the holiday by the lyrics-- "H - A - Double L O, Double U, Double E - N spells Halloween!" So I spent many years thinking halloween was spelled hallouueen ;P... Well it's been a while since those days, but I've always thought the holiday was great. What other day of the year could you tour the block, and get tons of candy all for ringing a doorbell and dressing up as Dracula?

Here's a piece I wrote for the Oct. 31st occasion. It includes a short plug of a piece by Mendelssohn, his "Andante Religioso"

http://youtu.be/pcLBw1ucMCo

Practicing and finally performing this piece has taught me the organ is tough instrument. If there is an interest for the score, I will attach it later. I hope you can enjoy.

Post subject: Re: Halloween
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

Funny story about how you spelled Halloween!

This is a nice video, Riley! I liked the images and transitions. Is this you playing that organ? It's nice music, however, it did not make me think of Halloween very much. It's too pretty. Anyway, next time I hope you can video yourself playing the organ.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:35 am 
Site Admin

It's not especially chilling ! Although you certainly put Mendelssohn's innocuous little piece through some eerie harmonics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:38 pm 

Chris and Monica,

Thanks for listening. I didn't expect you to listen to this Monica, as I know you don't like the sound of the organ! Not sure why you say it is not scary enough? Question to you and Chris, did you actually watch this video to the end?? Of course, the beginning of my piece (after the Mendelssohn part) is meant to be of light character. But after measure 13, I write "Suddenly..." in the score (about 1:10 in video). After that, I really don't think anybody could call it happy music!

Quote:
Is this you playing that organ?

Well, I could say yes, but I didn't video-record myself, so no proof ! :x :lol:

This is my first proper recording with my new recorder. It's a Tascam DR-07, and I'm quite pleased with the sound quality.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:47 pm 

Quote:
Although you certainly put Mendelssohn's innocuous little piece through some eerie harmonics.

I daresay you're right, Chris. Transposing has it's eerie qualities... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:27 am 

Quite a successful piece, I think. Recording level was a bit quiet; better though to be too quiet and boost it later than too loud and get clipping. More eerie in the second half than actively scary but atmospheric in its own way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:51 pm 

Quote:
Quite a successful piece, I think. Recording level was a bit quiet; better though to be too quiet and boost it later than too loud and get clipping. More eerie in the second half than actively scary but atmospheric in its own way.

Thanks for listening Andrew. That's right, you can always up the volume later, but to record too loud is to clip and lose it all! I am thankful I have a peak light on my recorder, so whenever I peak the light will come on. That's when I'll know the recording is a do over. Nice to know then and there and not after I've loaded the file on to cool edit pro and see the giant lines on the editor! :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:56 pm 

Interesting transition from a solid hymn-like tune to a rather goopy, harmonically grey section, as if the piece soured or something. Great sound from the organ, would like to see you play it too. >_>