Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Introducing my piano compositions
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:55 pm 

I liked your songs very much. Do you know George Winston? Your compositions have a style similar to his. I partially agree when people say it's not very attractive to buy the scores and learn the music, because it's very repetitive and makes people loose interest. However, there are pianists and pianists. I confess I'm not THAT inclined to learn these musics, but if I had the score here with me, I'd try once in a while, because they're beautiful. OK, they're like to be played in a romantic dinner and so on... but what if we want to achieve that?

I works like yours greatly valuable, as I so consider George Winston as well. I'd buy you CD if I saw it in a store here (but I live in Brazil, it's kinda difficult, I guess).

I don't wish you good luck, because you don't need it. You job is great enough not to need this. So, good carrer.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:11 pm 

It doesn't have enough dissonance in it to hold my interest. The way the phrases resolve reminds me of nursery rhymes. I don't mind repetition in music if there is a gradual momentum or metamorphosis which this doesn't have. It's not repeating phrases the way Philip Glass does with complex rhythms and subtle changes.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:05 pm 

Hi Perrotta

many thanks for your kind words on my music. I have heard of George Winston, but am not really familiar with his music - I will have a listen.

I havent published any sheet music as yet, but will do one day. Ive already had a few enquiries despite it still being very early days in terms of getting my music out to an audience.

The repetition clearly bothers some people, but others have said they feel I strike a good balance between stating a theme enough times for it to be fully absorbed, but moving on - with some sense of progression - before the phrase becomes boring.

Of course, different people will have different thresholds for this. For many people, classical music can seen almost schizophrenic in the way it is constantly changing, for others electronic music can seem interminably dull for the way it is so repetitive.

I guess I fall somewhere between those two schools.

My music doesnt seem to be a big hit with classical piano players, but there seem to be enough people who like you, find it beautiful, so I will certainly keep playing and recording.

Thanks again for your support

Rich

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:00 am 

Rich Batsford wrote:
could you expand more on what you were saying here about tone, colours and textures, sounds interesting and a good opportunity for learning for me if you wouldnt mind. If you can point to any particular examples in Glass' piano work, even better, as Im starting to get to know it a little.

by the way, I see youre in Adelaide, theres a significant chance I might be moving there in a few months, so maybe we may yet have the opportunity to chat about this over a long black.

Hi Rich,

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier! I don't know Glass's piano works all that well, I was actually thinking of his orchestral textures, particularly the three "portrait operas". For piano writing, it might be worth looking at early works of John Adams (when he used to be minimalist): China Gates and Phrygian Gates.

Certainly I can help you find good coffee in Adelaide :-) Drop me a line by PM or via my web site if you do end up moving here.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:49 am 

Hi Alexander

thanks for this. Ive been crazily busy lately recording my new album (my first of songs), but Ive made a note to follow your recommendations up at a quieter time.

Im wondering if some of the issues of tone and texture are ones that I dont currently explore due to my particular pedalling technique. My default pedal position is down (sustain pedal I mean of course) - lifting it up very quickly only to change chord.

This creates the effect of an ongoing swathe of sound which I personally find very satisfying, but to the pianist looking for the range of tone you can get not using the pedal, it may seem limited.

My girlfriend has just got a temporary job here in the UK, so we'll be staying for a while, but we will certainly be at least visiting Adelaide again before long so she has a chance to catch up with friends and family. I'll drop you a message then and look forward to a coffee, thanks.

Rich

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:33 pm 

Rich Batsford wrote:
The repetition clearly bothers some people, but others have said they feel I strike a good balance between stating a theme enough times for it to be fully absorbed, but moving on - with some sense of progression - before the phrase becomes boring.
Rich

It's not the repetition that bothers me but that what you are repeating is too simple.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:44 pm 

Why make like complicated?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:28 am 

Rich Batsford wrote:

To stop it getting boring! Put it this way: if you just repeated the note middle C over and over again, and nothing else, not many people would be interested. You need a certain amount of complexity to hold people's attention. As for how much complexity, that's a matter of taste, and you'll never please anyone...

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:47 am 

hanysz wrote:
Rich Batsford wrote:

As for how much complexity, that's a matter of taste, and you'll never please anyone...

nail - head :)

Rich

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Rich Batsford wrote:

Oh yes indeed. Simple short motifs, repeated over and over again, are what the modern music lover wants :P :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:57 pm 

that would certainly seem to explain rock and roll, pop, the blues, krautrock, electronica ...

Rich

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Rich Batsford wrote:
that would certainly seem to explain rock and roll, pop, the blues, krautrock, electronica ...

Not all of the above, probably. It certainly sums up the poppy drivel that goes for music on MTV and TMF.
I hope it's not going to sum up your music... If repeating simple themes over and over again is your game, there is IMHO
little hope for you in classical music. Unless maybe you are a Glass, Reich, Adams, or Ten Holt, and know a trick or two
how to make things interesting from within the repetition.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:21 pm 

Im not in "classical music", just "music" and I write what seems good to me. I am strongly influnced by classical music tho and thought, for that reason at least, that my work might be of interest to others on this forum.

Rich

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:05 pm 

Regardless of classification, I do think your work is interesting. It may not have the characteristics of a genuine classical piano music, but it has its beaty and is surely appreciated by many people (including me).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:03 pm 

thanks Perrotta - I appreciate your kind words.

Rich