Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 pm 

techneut wrote:
We took it as rather derogatory, and the use of photographs (of Monica, Robert, and me), literal quotes, as well as the dedication to John Robson, are quite out of order.

The dedication to John was really slimy, but to me too the entire video was clearly meant to discredit PS's admins, in spite of the ambivalent setting.

techneut wrote:
Thinking about it, I see no future for Jack Pringle on this site unless he explains, apologizes, and bends over backwards.

I suspect that Jack Pringle 123 couldn't care less about his/her future here, I mean, I can't see how you can prevent the very same guy (or whoever else) from coming to us under a different persona.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

alf wrote:
The dedication to John was really slimy, but to me too the entire video was clearly meant to discredit PS's admins, in spite of the ambivalent setting.

Well put. I locked that thread as I wanted to ignore the thing and prevent long discussions. I did not really expect him to be back.

alf wrote:
I suspect that Jack Pringle 123 couldn't care less about his/her future here, I mean, I can't see how you can prevent the very same guy (or whoever else) from coming to us under a different persona.

We can't. But we'd probably recognize him by his style...

Anyway I am still interested what he has to say, if anything.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:43 pm 
Quote:
Jack, please respond in public too. This forum is not just about the admins. One thing we value here is honesty and openness. You still have some explaining to do, if not outright apologizing.

This issue has been beaten like a dead horse! And I don't think it relates to this subject but I will say it anyways: I originally made the video to tell new, prospective members that the standards are high at pianosociety. I realize now that such a video was not wanted and I was very stupid not to ask before posting it. I apologize for not asking and if I ruined or partially tarnished the reputations of the admins or any other member I mentioned. I also apologize for the dedication to John Robson.

Quote:
We took it as rather derogatory, and the use of photographs (of Monica, Robert, and me), literal quotes, as well as the dedication to John Robson, are quite out of order.

I used all three of the admins pictures as a visual aid to give people an idea about which site it was. As for the dedication to John Robson, my only intention is to honor his memory.

Quote:
The dedication to John was really slimy

In which way alf? I did not have the pleasure of knowing Mr. Robson, but I wish I did. I wish I could have asked for his approval to dedicate the video to him, but I would like to say when I die I would rather my name be remembered rather than forgotten, if such a statement can be forgiven for being very profound. I am insulted that you would call my dedication slimy, as it was made in the best of intentions.

Quote:
I don't suppose we could watch this video?

At this point, I don't want to talk about this video again, not to mention see it, or let others see it. If this issue could be forgotten.

Post subject: Re: reply
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Jackpringle123 wrote:
This issue has been beaten like a dead horse!

It is indeed ! And so it had to be. A horse is not dead until we say it is.
You need to realize that you can't step on our toes like this without getting the full works.

Jackpringle123 wrote:
And I don't think it relates to this subject but I will say it anyways:

No it does not relate to the subject but we think nothing of going wildly OT when needed.

Jackpringle123 wrote:
I originally made the video to tell new, prospective members that the standards are high at pianosociety.

What makes you think that
a) such a thing is needed
b) people would watch your video
c) and if they did, would take it seriously ?

You're talking bollocks anyway. One doesn't have to be an exceptionally gifted pianist to be admitted here. What we expect is musicality, dedication, sufficient preparation, reasonable accuracy, and a pleasant sound. There are plenty of amateurs here who can achieve that without being world-class pianists. I don't think you have lurked around here long enough to see that.

Jackpringle123 wrote:
I realize now that such a video was not wanted and I was very stupid not to ask before posting it. I apologize for not asking and if I ruined or partially tarnished the reputations of the admins or any other member I mentioned. I also apologize for the dedication to John Robson.

Don't flatter youself ... it would take a bit more to ruin or tarnish our reputation.
But I appreciate your apologies.

Jackpringle123 wrote:
I used all three of the admins pictures as a visual aid to give people an idea about which site it was. As for the dedication to John Robson, my only intention is to honor his memory.

That may be so, but that was not the impression it made. I know of al least one other regular PS member here who was quite distressed by the way you went about it, to the point of wishing you gone as soon as possible.

Jackpringle123 wrote:
In which way alf? I did not have the pleasure of knowing Mr. Robson, but I wish I did. I wish I could have asked for his approval to dedicate the video to him, but I would like to say when I die I would rather my name be remembered rather than forgotten, if such a statement can be forgiven for being very profound. I am insulted that you would call my dedication slimy, as it was made in the best of intentions.

Pardon me, but is not for you to feel insulted here. Actually, after the insinuating tone of your video, this dedication added insult to injury, making rather a mockery of John's memory. I accept you probably did not intend it this way, but again, that was the impression it made. For God's sake, will you think before you write something for all the world to see....

Jackpringle123 wrote:
At this point, I don't want to talk about this video again, not to mention see it, or let others see it. If this issue could be forgotten.

Fair enough. I think everything has been said by now. Go forth and sin no more.....

Post subject: Re: Distinction between Classical and Non-Classical Piano Music
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:58 am 

I didn't really feel like reading through all the previous posts, but here's my opinion... "Classical" can't really be defined objectively because it's far too ambiguous and has obviously evolved through time. Now if we get more specific to say... Romanticism or Minimalism, we can say things like "the composition must contain a wide tonic range and explore unorthodox harmonic progressions" or "it must rely on repetitive and conservative structure."

I think the REAL reason the starter of this thread posted this topic was to compare modern "youtube composers" with the ones on this forum or even the legendary ones (I'm not talking skill-wise, but taste-wise). I think we can all point out the difference between the repetitive "1-4-5" type of music that novice composers tend to limit themselves to, compared to... say.. Bach's fugues. I know we've all seen the pianist/composer who just repeats arpeggios in one hand and and bangs out octaves in the other.

This isn't to say that classical music is limited to the elitists, but due to the popularity of predictable and overplayed harmonic progressions from the pop genre often dubbed as "classical," we must draw the line somewhere, else there'd be no reason to discriminate different forms of music under different names, we'd just call it "music."