Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: What software you use to compose music?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:57 pm 
Just wondering what are tools do you guys use to make your music. Like notation software, sequencers, library samples, pencil and paper, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:32 pm 

I use Sibelius. I like pencil and paper more, but it takes too much time.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

I use the piano only. or sometimes compose in my car to and from work (singing). I often record it long before I care to write it down to sheet...if I ever do. Compose on computer does not work for me. It ruins the feeling for me.

When I make a sheet out of it, I use Sibelius or LilyPond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:30 am 
I use pencil\pen also.

I don't like composing with computer because for me it decreases the idea of the composition. It easily goes to just hitting in the notes into computer.
One exeption I have is my very first string quartet wich I wrote straight to Sibelius (alltough the whole piece was in my head before writing down).

I think it is faster to write down to sheet with hands. Nowdays I try to write nicely so I don't have to re-write compositions with computer to make them neat. (usually with bad succes ) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:44 pm 
Finale Notepad is nice program. I recommend www.finalemusic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:51 pm 
Before my computer was destroyed by hurricane Katrina, I used Cubase. The program allowed me to play while it recorded it and when I was finish it would print the sheet music on command. Now, I use paper and pen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:44 pm 

I prefer paper and pen to all of software like Finale, Sibelius, Encore... I can write faster. Really faster. That's a pity I've got keyboard and cable, but my computer "doesn't want" it :P
With a mouse I can write about 2 minutes per hour [symphonic orchestra]. With pen I can write it muuuch faster ;)

I use Finale for uploading scores into computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:29 am 
I really depends where I am. I prefer to write with a pen and paper, because that is more fulfilling as a composer, but the computer is helpfull to make it neat. Also, I seem to write using a lot of chords, and my chord writing is very messy. It just helps for it to be on the computer, so I can see the chords properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:09 pm 

Ive tried Finale, but I like Sibelius the best for notation. But I don't compose in Sibelius, I find that too difficult. Since I don't have a piano at home, I sometimes experiment with pieces with a "piano" on my computer. Then I write them down on paper or in a MIDI sequencer. But I have found Sibelius is very easy to input notes as you think of them because you can use the keyboard, instead of clicking with a mouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:15 pm 
Depending for the genre.
I use initially, for the draft, pentagrammed paper und pen.
After,
1) well-printed papers and 0.8 black ink pen, for acoustic pieces (it's the case of piano), or
2) Cubase for electronic, microtonal, virtually orchestred pieces.

(and excuse me for the very bad english... :roll: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:38 am 

I've done music theory assignments in Sibelius but am finding it tedious for real music. (I can't compose at a computer anyway, part of my brain shuts off.) I'm getting started with LilyPond and it takes some getting used to, but I'm pretty sure it'll be very fast for notating once I get the hang of it.