Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Medtner: Skazka in F minor, Op. 26 No. 3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:23 am 

I happened upon a recordable situation on campus tonight in a space I can't normally get to, with great natural reverb. Faced with a choice between relieving an annoyingly full bladder and getting something worthwhile recorded, I went for the latter. All things considered, it sounds decent to me.

Would have liked to get Ophelia's Song down too, but nature wouldn't stop calling!

Medtner: Skazka in F minor, Op. 26 No. 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:06 am 
Site Admin

That was beautiful. I love the drama.

What is a skaska? I do not know this term. Is like a dance piece like Chopin's mazurkas? Are they all relatively short pieces?

(And you should be glad that I am holding my tongue regarding your 'situation' at the piano. Many jokes are running in my head.)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:22 am 
Site Admin

A very good recording indeed, even if the sound is a bit swimmy (could be because the bladder thing hehehe....) I can't really think of anything to change, it is obvious you have lived with this piece for a while, and are totally besotted with it. As far as I could hear it was note perfect too. Class job !

I bet you were frustrated about someone making thumping noises during the last measures. People can be so bloody insensitive sometimes. Luckily you were not perturbed.

Pianolady: Skazka (plural Skazki) is the Russian term for Fairy Tale (or rather Folk Tale as Medtner preferred to call them). The page I created for the Skazki explains some about it. Go read it now :P

And BTW happy birthday, I kept forgetting to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The page I created for the Skazki explains some about it. Go read it now

Oops. Okay Boss. :)

Quote:
I kept forgetting to say

Thank you. My day is complete. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:08 pm 

Thank you both, glad you enjoyed! Chris, I've no qualms about this one being posted on the site. Monica, if you'd like to have the sheet music to this and Medtner's several dozen other skazki, a good birthday present for yourself would be Dover's edition of the "Fairy Tales" (the most common English translation of the word). My birthday's a week from today but I've already got all the Dover Medtner books, so I'll have to think of something else to get myself. :-p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

schmonz wrote:
I've already got all the Dover Medtner books, so I'll have to think of something else to get myself. :-p

I can recommend the Bach WTC :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
My birthday's a week from today

Ah, another Aquarius (aquarian?).

Personalities: Aquarians are interesting and attractive people. They can be shy, sensitive, gentle and patient; or enthusiastic and lively with a tendency to be exhibitionists. Both types are strong willed and forceful in their own way. Very opinionated with strong convictions, they fight for what they believe in. They will argue vehemently for what they believe to be true, however, if you can show them facts to the contrary, they have little trouble altering their opinion.

Does this fit you? I wonder if there is any music related the zodiac signs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

My experience with Medtner is limited but I cannot believe that this recording was anything but very very good. It sounds relaxed and as you are confident with your playing as well as with this piece. The piece itself is really good. I should listen more to Medtner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:51 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Personalities: Aquarians are interesting and attractive people. They can be shy, sensitive, gentle and patient; or enthusiastic and lively with a tendency to be exhibitionists. Both types are strong willed and forceful in their own way. Very opinionated with strong convictions, they fight for what they believe in. They will argue vehemently for what they believe to be true, however, if you can show them facts to the contrary, they have little trouble altering their opinion.

Does this fit you? I wonder if there is any music related the zodiac signs.

Sure, it fits, though the other signs probably fit too. I for one am still grumbling that Holst never did get around to writing "Asteroid Belt" or "Oort Cloud." Music involving the signs of the zodiac? Not that I know of, but I don't know of terribly much.

robert wrote:
The piece itself is really good. I should listen more to Medtner.

Yes! A thousand times yes. IMO you should consider this urgent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

schmonz wrote:
Yes! A thousand times yes. IMO you should consider this urgent.

Why, you have a thing about Medtner, schmontz ? Not that we have noticed :P

This one's up the site. If you'd gone to the loo before getting out your Edirol we might have had Ophelia's song up here as well now ... You going to record its companion as well, the Song of the Paladin ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:22 pm 

Eventually, yes (because I'll want to keep making Medtner recordings until the music runs out); soon, probably not, because I've decided my next Medtner project is to fill in the six gaps between Sonata-Reminiscenza and Alla Reminiscenza and do the whole Op. 38 set. That should occupy me for a while!

An out-of-town friend emailed me to say that he's got more Medtner for me to hear when I see him next, but he won't say which it is! I know he's been working on the second of the Sonata-Triad (the D minor) and the famous B flat minor Skazka... so it's something besides those. But what?!?! Anyway, if we're lucky, maybe he'll record something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:45 pm 

Excellent. We have differing views on this (I like the middle sections faster) but this is a great recording. Would like very much to hear your Ophelia's Song, that's a rather cryptic and elusive and elusive piece but I'll bet you make perfect sense out of it.

What kind of piano was this? My guesses are 1) New York Steinway "B" or 2) Yamaha, whatever their corresponding model to the "B" is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:30 pm 

Thanks for the kind words. You're right about Ophelia, it's not as simple as it looks. I'm not sure I've got it fully untangled but I'll give it a try next chance I get. The piano was a baby grand Yamaha (actually, a bit out of tune, particularly apparent in the RH just before the climax), don't know the model exactly. How did you narrow it down to those two? I'm curious how one can identify pianos that precisely!

How did your recital go? And, how's the Idyll coming along? :-) :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:24 pm 

schmonz wrote:
The piano was a baby grand Yamaha (actually, a bit out of tune, particularly apparent in the RH just before the climax), don't know the model exactly. How did you narrow it down to those two? I'm curious how one can identify pianos that precisely!

How did your recital go? And, how's the Idyll coming along? :-) :-)

This is my new game, " what kind of piano is that?" :D I've been pretty good at it so far, although Steinways and Yamahas are hard to differentiate. The Yamaha is an unashemed copy of the Steinway after all. I guess I've played a lot of pianos, and they all produce a different sonority.

Recital went ok, I'm doing it again in two days. I'll be getting my piano tuned soon and will be doing those recordings properly in March. The Idylle's going well, I might post that sooner.