Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Fabrizio Fulvio Fausto Fiale -- Annyus Day (2002)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:16 pm 
Hi, this is my first upload, a little, short piece that i was composed in my 29th birthday, the 29th of march, "holy friday" (before easter). From this coming the title: sounding like "Agnus Dei" but in fact meaning "the year" (in italian: 'anno', pseudolatinized in annyus...) like "the day"...

I recorded this with my home piano, an half-tail Yamaha not perfectly tuned.
I excuse for this...
(and for my very bad english... I'm italian... :roll: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:00 am 
Site Admin

I am not sure what to make of this. It's sort of, well, interesting... But I can not honestly say I like it. Could be because I don't much like Scriabin, which seems to be a great inspiration here. The ending is rather unusual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:44 am 
Ok, I will try later to upload something sounding much 'classical'... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:41 am 

This is really avant garde stuff, reminiscent of a Scriabin Tone Poem. I liked its boldness and the vivid imagery it conjured in my crazy brain.

As I listen, I type the words that first come to mind(in chronological order)...Icy bleakness, desolation, struggle, false hope, fierce mockery, resignation, cruelty, uncertainty, judgement.

BTW, I definitely heard some quarter-tones. Your opus could be "The Poorly Tempered Clavier". Just kidding. :lol:

I kept waiting for some semblance of tonality. Of course, there is none. What compositional method(s) did you use, if I may inquire?

There's a storyline in the piece, I really like that. Did you compose it around a preexisting tale or invent a new one? Details! :D

I think I can say, well done!

Lover of all things weird,
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:13 pm 
Dear Pete, in this case I did not use anykind of method... Or maybe, one: starting from two notes ad going forward with the thing that I was imagine better after... It was like an "improvised writing", with harmonies based principally on diminished scales (I must have a sort of feticism for this harmonies, I think...)

Quarter tones??? :shock: I really write some microtonal music, particularly in 16 and 21 equal temperaments.

There isn't a storyline in the piece, but the words that comes in your minds descript efficaciously the bad period in wich I'm written this.

Thanks sincerely for the appreciation, :wink:
Fabrizio Fulvio Fausto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:54 am 

FFF Fiale wrote:
Dear Pete, in this case I did not use anykind of method... Or maybe, one: starting from two notes ad going forward with the thing that I was imagine better after... It was like an "improvised writing", with harmonies based principally on diminished scales (I must have a sort of feticism for this harmonies, I think...)

I kept trying (and failing) to to hear a tone row or some other pattern. The 'melody' sure is random.

Quote:
I really write some microtonal music, particularly in 16 and 21 equal temperaments.

I'd like to hear that!

Quote:
There isn't a storyline in the piece, but the words that comes in your minds descript efficaciously the bad period in wich I'm written this.

Perhaps the story is subliminal?

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:50 am 
Ohhh yess....I think it's subliminal too ...:lol:

About the microtonal pieces, there are some of these in my website (http://fiale.135.it)
in the "juke-box" frame. (and one with videoclip, "alienamente", in the videos page)

Because there aren't pianistic, I was thinking that not post there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Hello.
Never talked to you before, but I just went to your site and watched the alienamente video. I have to say that this was the wierdest thing I have ever seen. Wow. I still can't believe it. I'm almost afraid to watch the other videos. Sure is quite a change after just listening to Haydn. But hey, to each his own, right?
Pete's going to love this.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:12 am 
Site Admin

The in-your-face screaming look of the site itself was already the weirdest thing I'd already seen, and it honestly did not make me want to explore it any further. Regardless of the fact that I had no clue what the site is acually about - certainly not about classical music (but even if it were, its appearance would certainly scare away lovers of classical music as it did me).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:29 pm 

ALIENAMENTE...That really is weird! I agree, this is NOT the site for that, but nonetheless, part of me can't help but love it.

Here's why I like it... (WARNING: The following is not for the atonally challenged! :lol: ) All the classical world is tonal; even most atonal works by the likes of Shoenberg or Shostakovich are tonal in the sense that they constrained by the 12-tone scale. The part of me that loves the weirdness is bored by those twelve predictable tones. My psyche begs for an antithesis.

In the realm of microtonallity, the music is truly infinite, unanticipatable, amorphic, sometimes very disconcerting. It's description as "music" is ironic (as well I believe, inaccurate); perhaps a more accurate moniker would be "anti-music". No negative connotation is implied by that name, just a necessarily contrasting one. I could sum up my feelings of this 'anti-music' with the appropriately oxymoronic description, 'enjoyably unpleasant'.

I like to imagine...what if the rules of existence were changeable...what if the laws of our universe's physics were somehow flexible? I know, they're not; but somehow, this odd, anti-musical form gives us the smallest peek.

Back to Earth now,
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:19 pm 
Here I am back again, xcuse me for the long silence and...
...Thanks for the appreciatings!

Pete, your impression on microtonal world are very evocative.
It's philosophy applied to the music... :)

The 'weird' word is something that in italian I think is difficult to translate, but I think fits very well to me and my way of see the -uh oh...- reality.

Well, I think it's time now to begin to post some pianistic score of mine...
:wink:
See you soon!