Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: J.S. Bach Toccata D minor BWV 913
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:23 pm 

Hello to everyone!

Here is J.S. Bach Toccata D minor BWV 913. I prepare it for my spring concert. I wish You patience when listening: the whole piece is lasting just a bit over 10 minutes.

Bach - Toccata No.4 in D minor BWV 913

Post subject: hey how do u record with d best sound quality?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:30 am 
hello

hi pls can u tell me how you have been recorded with the best sound quality pls?

10x very much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:41 pm 

Leonald, again a great contribution here. Clean and precise played. Regardless whether it is romantique or baroque music, your playing sounds always very good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:12 pm 

Thank You, Olaf! Thank You Stephen!
I do record by a digitalrecorder Tascam 788 and play on a piano Estonia Grand 190.
Bach´s toccatas are not very often played. But in my opinion these are very interesteing grand forms composed by Bach and I do hope that it is interesting for the members and visitors of Piano Society to listen to them. Toccata E minor BWV 914 is on the way..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Yes a very good performance again, though I found the sound terribly dry and synthetic. I was going to ask if this was recorded on a digital (as it sounds different from your earlier recordings). But it seems like it isn't.

These toccatas are strange and underrated works. Among early Bach (which I do not generally care too much for) these certainly stand out, and thanks for recording some. Your Bach playing is tasteful and totally dependable, though I think you could bring a bit more fun and sparkle to these youthful and ebullient works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:26 pm 

Thqnk you, Chris very much for your comments! I never do my recordings by digital piano. This recording as also played by Estonia Grand 190. But the piano was not in best technical condition that day. The cover of the keyboard was taken off and the keyboard itself was torn out for couple of cm-s. The sound, endeed was a bit unnatural. Now the piano is fine again and today i did record another toccata which should be okay by it´s sound.
My friendly regards, Leonald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:11 am 

Amazingly well done, Leonald! I love this piece and you do it justice with a highly original yet restrained performance. No need to apologize for the length. BTW, I'm not a big fan of reverb. I like the exactness of the dry tone, especially here.

Glad to have you here!

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

This one is up the site !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

This is a work from the early years of Bach and a Toccata I admire much, though I have never tried to put it under my hands but one day.....

The Toccata is a solo keyboard "showpiece" where the performer was allowed to do an individually interpretation and make it his or hers and I feel that you do so. But I kind of expected a more virtuoso performance where you took your chances here and there, so perhaps a bit faster (even quite a bit faster). Not saying that I did not like your performance because I did. Your way of creating the melancolique atmosphere and speak through the keyboard. If I could wish something, that would be a little more harsh tone combined with a more steady rhythm. Techincally and note wise, it is perfect so I should not really complain as it is really great that your recorded it ;). Bravo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:16 am 

Excellent again! You're a really good Bach player. You pass the voices in the fugue around like it was a basketball game. 8)

I like your piano, I suspected it was an Estonia while I was listening to the e minor Toccata ( and not because you're Estonian :wink: ) It could use a fine tuning, though. Your piano sounds like it's very humid where you live; I have the opposite problem, living in a desert...