Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 15
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:41 pm 

This is from one take. I was nervous as hell making this recording. Please don't put this one on the site yet. My piano is also in need of tuning, I forgot to put reverb and I haven't gotten the hang of playing for the Edirol. When the novelty of the Edirol wears off and my nerves calm down, a better take will follow. BTW, I don't plan on making re-submitting a habit, I just wanted to break the ice here.

Pete

Chopin Prelude op. 28 No. 15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:11 pm 

thanks Pete, Getting used to the recording yet??

I liked your first interpretation of prelude, but when comes to loud section (FF) , It stood out pretty strong and it made me laugh, I mean laugh by means of comparsion to my playing and others, No one has everdone this kind of originality. I think this makes the wrold difference, otherwise, everyone its the same and borning.

good work regarless of your FIRST TAKE.--highly talented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:17 pm 

About my interepretation, that's not quite what I meant to say. :lol: I'll do a re-take when my piano is tuned and I'm not so flinchy with performance anxiety. Anyway, it's a start. I'm glad you like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:22 pm 

too bad I am in Australia, otherwise, I would tuned it for you for FREE. I do mine when it starts to out tune more than 1 keys. And I fixed it up straight away. and it would stayed for 3 to 6 months.

So you know whats like doing recordings....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:37 am 
Site Admin

At last the long awaited PJF debut ! Not the most original choice perhaps ... but a very good performance, lovely touch, tempo, and dynamics. Nothing much wrong with the piano tuning IMO. Sure you can probably do better yet but it's good already, and I see absolutely no reason why this should not go up the site.

Only thing that irritates me is your pronounced and rather persistent left-before-right habit. That's a bit old hat really.... Is it a choice you make or does it just happen ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:48 am 

Very good debut! I very much like the feeling you put in. Also the FF passage, the left hand parts comes out deep and sonor.

I agree with Chris( yes, this happens sometimes :lol: ), that the lh and rh don't come together at the beginning of a measure irritates me too. If it would be part of hand independent rubato (so that the other notes of a single hand follow the own separate rhythm within a phrase) I could understand, but here it happens only on the beginning notes. So if it is intended (I am not sure), you should make it clearer what you mean with that.

Really good work, why not put it up the site?
Now you can roll on with all the Beethoven sonatas and Chopin Etudes (referring to ChopinMusic) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:14 am 

Thanks everybody! Yes, the left before right thing is not something I normally do or like to hear. That was nerves. Also, I overloaded the recorder, making for some irritating static at the loudest parts. I want to make one more submission of it, before it goes on the site.

Olaf, I didn't say how well I played all the etudes and/or Sonats....but they're going to get put up eventually. I'm off to tinker with my new toy.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:49 am 
Site Admin

So good to be able to hear you now, Pete. I really liked this. Your pedalling was very good and your tone nice and gentle, except for the middle section where I liked the deep, strong, left hand. Tempo was perfect too. Overall, great job.

About the Edirol - A piece like this with the greatly contrasting dynamics will be hard to determine your volume setting. Go much softer than you think. Most times, I use between 12 and 17 volume.
And the silliest thing I ever did was placing the machine all over the place, including inside my piano in an attempt to get the best sound, when I finally discovered that on a chair right next to me on the right works best. And I can reach it easily. Have fun.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:52 am 
Site Admin

PJF wrote:
I want to make one more submission of it, before it goes on the site.

Just the one, then ! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:25 am 

Quote:
So good to be able to hear you now, Pete. I really liked this. Your pedalling was very good and your tone nice and gentle, except for the middle section where I liked the deep, strong, left hand. Tempo was perfect too. Overall, great job.

About the Edirol - A piece like this with the greatly contrasting dynamics will be hard to determine your volume setting. Go much softer than you think. Most times, I use between 12 and 17 volume.
And the silliest thing I ever did was placing the machine all over the place, including inside my piano in an attempt to get the best sound, when I finally discovered that on a chair right next to me on the right works best. And I can reach it easily. Have fun.

Why, thank you, Monica.
About my pedalling, in the recording you can hear the dampers swooshing up and down. It gives you a sense of my timimg. In my next submission, there will be no damper noise or other piano action sounds.

Wow, I had the edirol vol. on at 30, hence the static covered peaks. I learned alot of what not to do, that's good. My piano is a few cents sharp, that's why it sounds out of tune to me. My perfect-pitch ears are maddeningly sensitive. It can only get better from here. :D

TGIF

Pete

Last edited by PJF on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:00 pm 

You know what, Chris why not put it up on the site? I'm being perfectionistic. I have to be careful not to let my compulsive nature rule me. So, I'll make that my final submission for this prelude. It has its blips and that's fine with me. :D I'll redo it next summer.

Once, I nearly lost my mind doing take after futile take; my New Year's Resolution is to not be obssesed with improving pieces I already know.

Besides, I've got bigger fish to fry. I feel an etude comin' on :twisted:

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Fine with me, as I said right away. I''l put it up over the weekend but I need you to mail me your bio and photo.

As somebody once said, "Don't be a nut about success. If you don't succeed at first, give up" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

You're up the site now Pete ! I will update your page when I have your bio info.