Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Grieg Recordings
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:25 am 

Hello everybody! Long time no see! As a Norwegian pianist I have to make sure there are enough Grieg Recordings on Pianosociety :lol: 2007 is his anniversary year (he died in 1907), so I've recorded 15 pieces. I have some of them on this site already, so I'll start with the other ones. Here are 3 early pieces by Grieg: Humoresque no 1: tempo di valse, Sonata 1st movement and Funeral March for Richard Nordraak. I hope you like them.

Grieg - Humoresques Op.6 - 1: Tempo di Valse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:31 am 

Sonata 1st movement.

Grieg - Sonata Op.7 - 1: Allegro Moderato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:39 am 

Funeral March for Richard Nordraak (the poor thing died very young)

Grieg - Funeral March in memory of Rikard Nordraak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Yes, long time no see indeed ! Yes we need more Grieg indeed - and not just the Lyric Pieces. So these are very welcome.

I had never heard or played that funeral march and am pleased to make its acquaintance. A powerful and original work, powerfully played as well. It easy to hear how high Grieg held Nordraak in esteem. Whar's with the EG177 number ? I know this march has no opusnumber but did not know there was a Grieg numbering system. Does it follow the opusnumbers ?

The Humoresque is very nice too. I like this set a lot, it is much better than the Op.1 and Op.3 sets where he was still struggling to find his own voice. Seems like here, he found it. A great performance, the ending particularly exciting.

The Sonata is a strange work. Grieg was never a man for the large classical forms but he does his best here, and so do you. There is much to enjoy even if it is not the most convincing of sonatas.

I like your energetic and unsentimental performances. Seems like this is a tradition with Norwegian pianists. How's lessons with Havard Gimse going ? I guess they're masterclasses rather than 'lessons'.

I'll put these up the site right away. You sure they are not copyrighted by your recording company ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:23 am 

I'm not really sure how the EG numbers are arranged, but I do know that the funeral march is an early piece by Grieg. I'll see if I can find out. The lessons with Håvard Gimse are going just fine. I wish I could visit him more often though. They are infact real lessons and so far I've been at his home. He has a good Steinway in his basement and we have a good time each time :D

These recordings are just mine. I'm not recording for any company, so this is a self-financed product. I will however print it and sell it after concerts and so on, but I still want them to be available on Pianosociety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Piacevole wrote:
The lessons with Håvard Gimse are going just fine. I wish I could visit him more often though. They are infact real lessons and so far I've been at his home. He has a good Steinway in his basement and we have a good time each time :D

That is what lessons are all about ! If you can't have a good laugh and a great time with your teacher, something is not right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

These are all up the site now. Please check if everything is in order.
Thanks for submitting them !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:13 pm 

Thank you for posting them, it looks right. Alright, here are two more! This is from the collection "Pictures from everyday life." The first piece "Fjellslått" or "Mountain Dance," I've already submitted on pianosociety, but this recording is much better soundwise and I also think it's alot better pianistically. The second one is the famous "Bridal Procession" - I struggled with this one, but it turned out ok. This is not on the pianosociety, but it really should be being one of his most popular pieces! I hope you like my performance.

Grieg - Pictures of Country Life Op.19 - 1: On the mountains

Last edited by Piacevole on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:20 pm 

Bridal Procession. In norwegian: Brudefølget drar forbi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, thanks again !
I've always considered this one of Grieg's greatest compositions. The first certainly sounds much better than the one on the site. And the bridal march as you say, deserves to be among his most popular pieces. Great playing. And the piano sound is gorgeous. You say these are your 'own' recordings, but surely they were made in the studio ?

I've put them up the site. If you have any suggestions for the text on that page, and/or perhaps a
specific image, I'd be much obliged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:08 pm 

Thanks for the compliments! I'm very satisfied with the production. I bought something called Mbox2 with Protools LE. I also bought a set of Røde NT5 microphones. Along with my laptop this is 1st class recording equipment. It's not even expensive. However, for this recording I rented a high-tech surround mic (top class). I also used the concert room at the conservatory here in Trondheim (with a Steinway D). On top of that I brought my recordings to a recording studio and did some things: We used a program for adding.. how do you say in english? Room? Space? Reverb? We basically put the recorded sound in a concert hall in Berlin (with a computer ofcourse) and mastered the recording. The result amazes me.. It's not difficult to get professional sound nowadays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:39 pm 

I have a bunch of lyric pieces too ofcourse. I'll start with Lonely Wanderer which, surprisingly enough, isn't on the pianosociety yet. I'll also upload to "slåtter" which is complete on the p.s., but in quite different interpretations.

Grieg - Lyriske Stykker Op.43 - 2: Ensom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:53 pm 

Røtnams-Knut.. halling. I was tired and had to accept a couple of slips. And as you can hear I added some bass-notes towards the end. I couldn't resist..hehe :)

Grieg - Slatter Op.72 - 7: Røtnams-Knut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:03 pm 

Wedding march after myllarguten.

Now this is a strange thing. The metronome mark on this piece is wierd. I play it almost half the tempo.. but if you listen to the harding-fiddle recording, the beat is exactly half of Griegs metronome mark. But the melody is twice as fast. Very difficult. But if you play in the tempo suggested by Grieg, the mood will be completely destroyed. This isn't a happy wedding march, it is a mournful march.

Grieg - Slatter Op.72 - 8: Bruremarsj etter Myllarguten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Aha, that's how the Slåtter should be played ! Now he tells me :roll: Are you planning a complete cycle ?

Very powerful, the Rotnamsknut. The few slips do not bother, but you make a persistent read error. In bar 12 of the slow middle section, you play a D in the LH which should be an E (at least according to my Peters score), and this is repeated 3 times later on. Sounds rather strange. Apart from that, great stuff.

The bridal march is very slow indeed. Not sure if I agree with that tempo but at least it gives you more time to being out all the trills and ornaments. It's only now that I actually read the text and see what you mean about this not being a happy bridal march. Exquisite it is, all the same.

Wonderful introspective acount of the Lonely Wanderer. Would't with for anything else here.

I have added all these to the site. Thanks for all the goodoes, and a Happy New Year to you too :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

I listened to everyone of them and they are all very high quality recordings. Leaves nothing to be wished for and I don't hear any slips at all. On the years I have heard you play, you have really made progress!

I am also very impressed by the dynamics of your sound! Kind of envy you have access to really good recording equipment ;). Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:33 pm 

Thank you very much! I don't think my recordings in general would be this good soundwise, becuase I'll use my own microphones (good, but not like the one I used for these) and I don't have access to a Steinway D 24/7. hehe. But my Petrof piano is not bad at all, I'll move into my office during the week and I'm very excited about trying to record there.

I do have a misread in the Halling from Slåtter. It's a bassline D-E-F, and I play D-D-F. Silly silly silly. I can't belive I missed such an obvious thing. Wellwell. Done is done. The recordings I haven't uploaded yet is basically the lyric pieces I already recorded on pianosociety. "Folkevise, Norsk, Gangar, Klokkeklang, Fra Ungdomsdagene, I Balladetone, Bryllupsdag på Troldhaugen" Do you want me to upload the new ones and replace the one already on the site?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Piacevole wrote:
I do have a misread in the Halling from Slåtter. It's a bassline D-E-F, and I play D-D-F. Silly silly silly. I can't belive I missed such an obvious thing. Wellwell. Done is done.

To have your reading mistakes picked out and rubbed in, you've come to the right place :lol:

Piacevole wrote:
The recordings I haven't uploaded yet is basically the lyric pieces I already recorded on pianosociety. "Folkevise, Norsk, Gangar, Klokkeklang, Fra Ungdomsdagene, I Balladetone, Bryllupsdag på Troldhaugen" Do you want me to upload the new ones and replace the one already on the site?

Well they have been there for a while, you have grown considerably since then, and these sound much better as well. So I'd say let's replace them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:01 pm 

:lol: hehe. But it's nice though. We all need feedback and the possibillity to share different views. Do you know the story behind Bruremars etter Myllarguten? Myllarguten was one of the most famous fiddleplayers in Norway in the 19th century. The story tells that he was in love with a woman, but she married someone else. On the day of the wedding, Myllarguten sat down behind a rock and composed this mournful march. This is why I play it so slowly, but if you listen to Einar Steen Nøkleberg, the guy who recorded complete Grieg for Naxos, you can hear that he's playing it even slower. I think it should be really tender and melancholic..

Alright, let me upload the rest of the recordings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

I have finally put all these up the site. Instead of the separate mp3 links, I'd rather give the link to the page:

http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=235

Great performances again, all of these. I can't see how they could be bettered. Really, many of these pieces are much better than they are given credit for ! Strange that nobody commented on any of these... I guess Grieg is not quite mainstream repertoire for many people, not even the lyric pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Piacevole wrote:
:lol: hehe. But it's nice though. We all need feedback and the possibillity to share different views. Do you know the story behind Bruremars etter Myllarguten? Myllarguten was one of the most famous fiddleplayers in Norway in the 19th century. The story tells that he was in love with a woman, but she married someone else. On the day of the wedding, Myllarguten sat down behind a rock and composed this mournful march. This is why I play it so slowly, but if you listen to Einar Steen Nøkleberg, the guy who recorded complete Grieg for Naxos, you can hear that he's playing it even slower. I think it should be really tender and melancholic..

Alright, let me upload the rest of the recordings.

No idea about this before. Thanks for lettings us know!