PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:47 am 
Site Admin

This must be the first time I submit something that everybody knows :D

Bach - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BVW 846, from WTC book I
Bach - Prelude and Fugue in F major, BVW 880, from WTC book II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

I love the C major. You're right in that everybody know this. Probably because it's the first one in the book.

You played it very well. I didn't hear any incorrect notes and it sounded nice and soothing. In my opinion, it could use more dymanics variation. The give and take on bars 5 thru 8 could be brought out more, as well as louder on the ff bar near the end. I think the Fugue sounded perfect. I'm wondering about the rhythm on the last measure, though. Do you show something dotted in the group of 32nd notes? I noticed something similar in the second to last measure of the Prelude, which I definitely heard something dotted or a grace note. It may be just differences in editions.

I don't know, nor have I ever played the F-major. Yes, I know- "the horror..." Sorry.
But I think it sounded great. Reading along with the score, I heard every time the theme came in with both hands.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:23 pm 

Well, that famous C major Prelude and Fugue from WTC1. Does anybody think it is easy to play? Me not, since everyone knows every note and recognizes weaknesses, it is really difficult.

C major prelude WTC1:
You have done fairly well, and I like very much that you play it soft. Also from rhythm evenly, that is almost a "trademark" from you.
However your often praised firm touch is on some places not there in the soft playing. Some notes are missing like bar 6 LH 2nd C, same bar RH last note. On some other bars (19,22,28,32) also some not or almost not audible notes.
Regarding interpretation, this is of course matter of taste. I like your tempo, but I think that this prelude sounds better without sustain pedal. If the LH notes are hitten stronger and firm (since they must long for the complete bar) they give the bottom even without sustain pedal. I wonder why you just play the LH notes that soft, although they should sustain long. In general your playing sounds on this prelude (and only here, it is absolut untypical for your playing style) in conjunction with the pedal a bit blurred this way. Also, I prefer a stronger dynamic climax with the loudest point at bar 29. Let me repeat: matter of taste.

C major fugue WTC1:
Great playing in my opinion, also the voice shaping. Some notes especially in the RH lower voice are missing here and there, no big thing (I think missing is in RH: bar 15 3rd 8th note, bar 16 a G in 3rd last 8th). The trills in bar 18/19 don't sound that persuasive to me, also the rhythm in last bar.
Sorry for the nitpicking, because that tends to make the achievement smaller. But it is not small. Your fugue sounds very convincing to me!

F major prelude & fugue WTC2:
Can't say something whether there are notes missing or wrong, because it's too fast to follow for little poor me, so I trust you that everything is ok :D
I like it, but if you insist on an opinion what could be maybe improved, it is that the LH is always a bit in background in the prelude instead having equal right to the RH.
Great too the fugue. You are a master in the polyphonic playing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

I am not convinced about this C major prelude either. Just wanted to something different... This is one difficult bastard to bring off, I find it one of the hardest of all just because it is so simple and innocent. I still do not quite know how I want it. I like some pedal in this piece but it's probably too much here. You could be right about the ground bass needing more volume. And the touch is not even enough. There lies the main problem for me.

About the fugue, you're right that some notes are inaudible and I rather botched up the trills. Grrrrr. Anything for a Steinway or Yamaha....

That fast F minor fugue is really a Gigue with only a few fugue characteristics. Couple of dodgy notes but I believe it is mostly ok notewise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I think the Fugue sounded perfect. I'm wondering about the rhythm on the last measure, though. Do you show something dotted in the group of 32nd notes? I noticed something similar in the second to last measure of the Prelude, which I definitely heard something dotted or a grace note. It may be just differences in editions.

No not dotted notes, but a missing/inaudible note (in the fugue) and a botched-up trill (in the prelude). And they say I have dog's ears :lol:
Perhaps I should leave out that trill in the prelude. It's not even original, from the look of it.