Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin Mazurka Op. 33, No. 3
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Everybody. I finally got an Edirol machine, so here my first piece recorded on it. I went for a short mazurka, thinking it would take me a short time to record. Not so. It took all day. I think I have the recorder figured out now, so next time should be easier. Anyway, go ahead and let me have it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:33 pm 

Very good start with the Edirol adventure!

Your Mazurka sounds really good to me!
Especially I like your decent rubato playing on phrase starts, also that delay before the C major part starts again at the end. Also, you play with different loudness in the parts, and have a nice soft ending.
I also did not recognize slips or wrong notes. The first bar in the f minor part (or whatever the key is) sounds strange to me but seems to be played according the score.

I don't know whether I asked already before, but do you play on an Upright piano? It sounds so to me.
Whether or not, since one need something to niggle, I would try to extend the dynamics even more towards loud, but even more regarding soft, and voice the melody stronger. Maybe if you would take the left hand back a bit the melody shines better.

Good recording quality too, but the piano is bit detuned. And the bass sounds muffled - did you play with open lid (if its a grand, it sounds like closed lid to me)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Mindenblues.
My piano is a Yamaha C2 grand. I bought it new almost seven years ago. I may not have as sensitive ears as you do, because I can't tell if my piano sounds good or bad. It's seems fine to me when I'm sitting at it. You are right about it not being in tune. This worries me, because I just had it tuned two months ago and already it's slipping. The weather here has been fluctuating wildly, so maybe that's the reason. But I also wonder if it needs help from a technician, maybe some kind of adjustment. You say the bass sounds muffled, and I would agree with you on that, but I kind of like it. My upper notes tend to ring out a lot, so I placed the recorder away from the piano on the left side. Perhaps because of that, the recording sounds muffled? I do play with the lid all the way up.
Nothing I can do about my piano, but I can change where I put the recorder. I'll keep trying different things as I go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Smart move pianolady, joining the Edirol gang and the Mazurka club in one stroke ! :D

Very good it is, a bit stiff in places but sensitively and competently played. No slips and I could not even spot one reading mistake :x Especially the double-notes in the middle part come off very well, as does the return to the theme, always a bit of a danger spot. A bit more flexibility and a little more dynamic contrast - although you already do pretty well there.

I would not say your piano is off tune, at least not distractingly so, but there's something about the sound, a bit swimmy or something, I find it hard to put a name to it. Did you use any of the equalizer or reverb settings ? I have actually stopped using the Edirol's reverb, the equalizer is always set to 'Classical'. Yes you'll have to experiment with the placing. The balance seem too much towards the right side, making it sound a bit metallic. Could be you are too close to the strings (I had that in my early recordings).

Very nice debut ! No stopping you now, right ? :wink:
I guess this is more than adequate to go up the site if you want that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Techneut. I joined the 'club' with one of the shorter, easier Mazurkas. My other mazurkas are doing what you talked about on another thread. They are getting worse, instead of better. :x

As to the sound, I had the recorder sitting on a glass table on the left of my piano. Maybe that's why the sound is funny? I found the reverb button on the Edirol, but when I connected the recorder to my computer with the USB cable, the reverb would not transmit. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is this why you use one of those editing programs? I'm going to check out one of those.

I would be honored to be up on the site, but I think I'd like to wait until I have one or two more acceptable recordings. Don't want to look whimpy with just one short piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Thanks, Techneut. I joined the 'club' with one of the shorter, easier Mazurkas. My other mazurkas are doing what you talked about on another thread. They are getting worse, instead of better. :x

Once you really start work on them for recording, I am sure they will get better. As I eventually got over my 'regression bar' in the Bach fugue. It's fine again now.

pianolady wrote:
As to the sound, I had the recorder sitting on a glass table on the left of my piano. Maybe that's why the sound is funny? I found the reverb button on the Edirol, but when I connected the recorder to my computer with the USB cable, the reverb would not transmit. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is this why you use one of those editing programs? I'm going to check out one of those.

Mmm, glass table ! Doesn't sound like the optimal location. Perhaps it does not matter but try draping a cloth over it (the table I mean, not the edirol :) )

Reverb would not transmit ? That does not make sense. It is the mp3 file you transmit, with all the sound in it. What I found is that Edirol kept resetting the equalizer to 'Pop' every time I tried to
change the reverb setting. Also I did not like the sound quality of the reverbs, and hate fiddling around with knobs and dials when I can use a mouse and keyboard. Lastly, a program like Cooledit has so much more possibilities and especially the reverb settings are very good.

pianolady wrote:
I would be honored to be up on the site, but I think I'd like to wait until I have one or two more acceptable recordings. Don't want to look whimpy with just one short piece.

Whatever you want !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:

Reverb would not transmit ? That does not make sense. It is the mp3 file you transmit, with all the sound in it.

I don't think I'm doing it right. I have to read the instruction book again. I was under the impression that you can listen back to your recordings and push the reverb button to hear what it sounds like with different settings, but you can't record with the reverb already added. (push the reverb button before you start recording).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:11 am 
Site Admin

Recovered posts (from the crashed server):

pianolady wrote:
I found the reverb button on the Edirol, but when I connected the recorder to my computer with the USB cable, the reverb would not transmit. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is this why you use one of those editing programs? I'm going to check out one of those.

I believe that the reverb is internal only. I think Techy's verison of the edirol writes the reverb to the recording. But the r09, if I assume correctly, does not add the reverb to the file only when you play it back internally (i.e. hook up headphones to the recorder and press play)

But then again don't consider this bit of information as concrete fact. I'm proven wrong most of the time. That's how I learn (in fact thats how most learning occurs: bad experiences --being 3 miles off shore on Lake Michigan in a heavy fog and without a compass-- and being proven wrong) Wink

_the only juuf
robert
Site Admin

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2006 04:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Yes a very good start and the sound is not that funny. Pretty good I think but perhaps a bit too high record level. Not a single mistake from what I can hear and overall nice rubato playing. What I would like is a bit quicker performance but that is a matter of taste.

Juufa is right about the reverb. It is only meant for listening and will not be added to a recording and cannot be added afterwards. You need to do that with separate program. Handy little machine isn't it?
techneut
Site Admin

New postPosted: 17 Nov 2006 07:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
robert wrote:
Juufa is right about the reverb. It is only meant for listening and will not be added to a recording and cannot be added afterwards. You need to do that with separate program. Handy little machine isn't it?

This is then where the R9 differs from the R1. I read that it is considerable cheaper because they left out many of the special functions. Strange that it has reverb but won't write it to the file. It is of no use then, unless you use the machine as an mp3 player as well.