Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin Polonaise Op.53 No.6
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:48 pm 

Hi,

Here is my recent recording of the Chopin Polonaise Op53 No.6 in Ab major.
Also available as a performance video at youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSIW7TuPWmo

-Kaila

Chopin - Polonaise in A-flat Major, Op. 53

Post subject: Re: Chopin Polonaise Op.53 No.6
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:40 am 

Hi Kaila, I much enjoyed your spirited account of "Heroic," I like your tempo and phrasing. You just can't get this energy and sound from someone who hasn't practiced this a whole lot, so kudos to you. Out of curiousity how long did it take you to learn this?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:12 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kaila,

I think you did a nice job and like Riley, I give you lots of credit for making it all the way through to the end. I don't think I could do it. However, I just like the whole piece to go faster so that it has power and excitement that builds as it goes. Also, I like a little more pedal throughout. But this is one of those well-known pieces that everybody seems to have an opinion about, so you'll probably get some varying opinions. The piano sounds great!!

This is on the site.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:13 pm 

Thanks for a courageous and personal interpretation of a piece that is normally a virtuoso showcase. You bring out many fine details (and some stunning display of fast scales). I think the middle section works best, as Monica says the outer sections suffer a bit from low speed and appear a bit heavy handed - but I guess this piece is incredibly hard to articulate properly at speed.

Joachim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:21 am 

Hi Riley,

This Polonaise is one of the pieces in my repertoire that I have relearned at least three times.
The first time I played it was probably twenty five years ago.

Thank you for your kind words.
Kaila

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:24 am 

Hi Monica,
The piano sounded really rich. It reminded me of the piano I played at Carnegie Weill Hall.
In terms of the tempo, I played it according to my conception of Maestoso.

Joachem,
I was very physically focused on the tone and the richness of the piano. As I wrote to Monica,
I feel the tempo was Maestoso.

Just a bit of news. I just retired from 30 years of public school teaching to have surgery. I will not
be playing the piano much for about three months, but I do look forward to really listening and
participating at the Piano Society and learning a lot from everyone.

Best to you all,
Kaila

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:33 pm 

To the Society: I listened to both as a sanity check and they're the same. No problems with the MP3 (although I admit I did not check the labels.)

Kaila,
I usually listen to the mp3 only but this time also the YouTube, and enjoyed the "live" feel of the video. The piano is really good and I know from your past recordings that one of the tradeoffs must be a limited number of 'takes'. The tradeoff is worth it, IMHO, because of the instrument's quality.

'Maestoso'! It's been so long since I looked at that score (I'm a coward by trade!) that I did not remember that instruction! In addition to being generally enjoyable, it was maestoso. One of the plusses for the tempo is that the trills actually work, and they so often do not. As with your other recordings, there was a depth of honesty to the rendition that makes it enjoyable for other pianists.

OTOH, I agree with Monica about using more pedal. A good example is the last 8 bars, where some more resonance could jack up the applause meter.

Congratulations (I guess) on your retirement. Is this from NYC schools? If so, I mourn the loss; my son-in-law is a HS principal in the system so I feel some attachment even though I live in NJ. All the best with your operation, too. I hope to hear more recordings before 2014 ends!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:27 am 

Hi Stu,

Thank you for your comments. The bass sixteenth notes in the repeated pattern were also of
a concern re: how to set the tempo. I am glad you enjoyed the Maestoso.

And yes, I was a music teacher for special needs students in the NYC Public Schools for 30 years.
My students' abilities and love and appreciation of learning music was definitely inspiring.
That is why I created specialneedsinmusic.com

Kaila

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:09 pm 

An interesting and individual performance. I'm not totally convinced by your Maestoso, probably not because of the tempo, but more because the sound, whilst rich, seems to die away too rapidly in some of the sections, leaving a slighly brittle, disconnected sound. There's also a tendency for the turns at the bottom of some trills in the A section(s) to be rather vague, which reduces their expressive quality. That's my quibbles out of the way! What did impress me was the way in which you managed to create a kaleidoscope of moods, and in particular it is rare to hear the treacherous octave section played with the lh so quiet. Lots of good things about your playing, not perfect, but more thought-provoking than a lot of performances.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:35 pm 

Hi Andrew,

I am glad you enjoyed the mood changes and the octave section.
You make some interesting points overall. Thank you for listening and your comments.

Best,
Kaila

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:22 am 

Hi Kaila,

Congratulations on your fine performance of this difficult Polonaise! I believe you most often produced that majestic sound that has come to characterize this music. You had a very good sense of timing in order to create necessary emphases while maintaining the grand sweep of the piece. There were some instances where you were very conservative with the pedaling, but maybe too cautious, as it would sound a bit dry in a few places. But that's subjective. Overall your playing was convincing and beautiful. Anyone could tell that you put a lot of work into preparing this work. The results tell. I would give you high marks. Thanks for posting it.

David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:32 pm 

Hi David,

Thank you for your comments and kind words. Sorry for the brief reply, I'm preparing for my surgery today.
Look forward to getting back to the PianoSociety forum very soon.

-Kaila

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:13 am 

Hi Kaila,

Best of luck with the surgery and hopefully a fast recovery. You'll be missed here pending your return.

David

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:02 pm 

Hello Kaila,
I am joining the chorus to present my congratulations for this great piece ! I found some prudence in the beginning, which is wise when you start such a journey, but then you gain strength and depth and you catch the listener in your vision. I imagine the work you spent to reach such a beautiful rendition. Maybe a little more reverberation would increase the Maestoso feeling ?
Otherwise I hope your surgery will go well and fast, and you will come back soon with new recordings of this quality. All the best, Kaila,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:09 am 

Hi Francois,

Your comments are very encouraging.
I am looking forward to playing the piano again in a few weeks. There
are certain pieces I would like to revisit, including the Chopin
Polonaise Fantaisie.

My recovery is progressing quite nicely.

Much appreciation,
Kaila