Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Schumann Albumblatter Op. 99
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:16 am 

I've been busy with work, but now have some freetime. I've heard this piece on YouTube, but couldn't find it on here, so I wanted to record it.

I am somewhat confused how this piece should be categorized. Op. 99 shows up as Bunteblatter, and it's truly the fourth of the set, though the title above the music is "1. Albumblatter" so that settles it, I suppose. This was written in 1841, the same year Schumann wrote his Spring Symphony in B flat, his first if I have that right. I'm planning on playing the rest, but for now, here's no.1 of Albumblatter.

Bunte Blätter, Op. 99, no. 4, "Albumblätter"

Post subject: Re: Schumann Albumblatter Op. 99
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:05 am 

Hi Riley,

I hadn't heard this piece before. Your rendition sounds very well prepared and played. To me by its nature it seems very searching--perhaps like a meditation or a lament. Thanks for sharing it here.

David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:23 am 
Site Admin

Hi Riley,
The set is called, "Bunte Blätter op. 99". Your recording of Albumblatter 4 (op. 99, no 4) sounds nice, except for the phrasing on the second line..specifically bar 12 into bar 13. Also, on the second-to-last-bar...the rhythm was a little unstable. I don't hear the last 8th note in the RH - the f-sharp. And then also you don't take the repeat, which I think you should do, since the piece is so short. Is it possible for you to make another recording and take the repeat? You will have to correct the file name and tags, though. File name should be: schumann-99-4-tucker. Please also fill in the other tags....

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Admin

It's nicely done indeed. In addition to the suggestions already made, I think you should get a bit more flow into it (i.e. a bit faster, it's terribly slow) and make it sound more confident (i.e. a little more weight, louder as it were). It sounds just a tad apologetic. Also, take care about evenness of attack, some chords are not ideally together.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:28 pm 

Yes, good job.
Very good catch on Monica's part; I suspect "Albumblatter" is a generic term for "piece within a suite" or something like that, and is not meant to be the title of anything. Perhaps the German readers will enlighten us.
If there are to be no other pieces from this suite, I agree with Chris' comment about more movement and authority. But then I'm not acquainted with the rest of the work.
If the surrounding pieces are heard, the present interpretation may make more sense in addition to being well played.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:45 am 

Thanks all for the comments. I got a new digital, which is what I'm using here, and I wish I could say I was working with a well-modeled piano. The good of it is that it's a sample set from a Steinway, the bad is, their are only about 4 velocity layers, which is hardly as many as an acoustic piano. I notice that when I hit a triad, there are two notes that are emphasized, but the third just doesn't sound quite as clearly as the other two. Anyways, enough of my pouting. You know a man named Dale Carnegie wrote a book called "how to win friends and influence people" wherein he writes the worst thing you can have in life is self-pity! :lol:

I re-recorded the piece and fixed my tags. They should be perfect (I think) it's been a while since I've submitted anything here. Hope this redo is ok.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Riley,
Ok, this is better. Your tags were missing the genre and the title wasn't quite right. While Albumblatter is one word, Bunte Blatter is two words. Got that? :P

But suddenly my upload program is not working! I've tried uploading the file six or seven times, but it's doing something different than normal, like it thinks the .mp3 is a .jpg and when I check the link, I get the "404 file not found" message. Weird.... :? :?

Are you still able to upload onto the server? If so, please add the "classical" to the genre tag, and make the title: Bunte Blatter, Op. 99, no. 4, "Albumblatter"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

I notice that the suffix of Riley's attachment is .MP3 in capitals. That is why the upload program does not recognize it. Everything should be lowercase (recall the the server is Linux, a case-sensitive operating system).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

I can't change that on my end. Riley, please correct your suffix and re-upload. Don't forget to correct the other tags too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I can't change that on my end.

Sure you can. Just rename it.
But Windows may be too clever to consider renaming foo.MP3 to foo.mp3, reasoning that it makes no difference to self.
So we outsmart Windows, first rename foo.MP3 to foo.bar, then rename foo.bar to foo.mp3.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
I can't change that on my end.

Sure you can. Just rename it.
But Windows may be too clever to consider renaming foo.MP3 to foo.mp3, reasoning that it makes no difference to self.
So we outsmart Windows, first rename foo.MP3 to foo.bar, then rename foo.bar to foo.mp3.

I get that, but my problem is that I don't even see any suffix at the end of the file names, although they are all .mp3's. It must have something to do with how the details are displayed, but I tried clicking on the box for 'suffix', and it still does not display in the file name.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Windows is so immensely clever that by default it hides known suffixes, assuming you'd rather work it out from the icon. First thing I always do is turn that idiotic setting off. In Explorer, click Tools->Folder Options, then click the View tab, and un-check the box that says Hide extensions for known file types. Click Apply, then Apply to Folders to make suffixes be displayed everywhere (unless you want this only in your mp3 directory).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:36 am 

:shock: Wow, that's a strange error. I never thought about that that they take away the .whatever extension. I guess windows is trying to be like Mac... :roll: I can't upload from my laptop because the upload program I have isn't compatible with my OS, don't know why that is. I tried to download the mp3 on this computer (a cybercafe near my apartment) and was able to make mp3 lower case but it won't let me change the ID metadata :evil: . Odd, as I don't remember saving the file as write-protected.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:13 am 
Site Admin

Ok, this is on the site now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:57 am 

Thanks, Monica. Wonder how you were able to edit the ID tag info? It just gave me option to "remove properties and personal information" but didn't allow me to edit it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:13 am 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
I can't upload from my laptop because the upload program I have isn't compatible with my OS, don't know why that is. I tried to download the mp3 on this computer (a cybercafe near my apartment) and was able to make mp3 lower case but it won't let me change the ID metadata :evil: . Odd, as I don't remember saving the file as write-protected.
I'll put my tech support hat on for a moment :) You need to provide details about issues like this. Just saying "I can't" or "It won't let me" does not cut it. Exact error messages and screenshots are in order.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:26 am 
Site Admin

I think this certainly sounds more confident now. More could be made of it, but it's good as it is.

Not sure what your problem is with adding ID3 tags. Windows Media Player and iTunes can do it, and there are several free ID3 tag editors available on the web (just Google for free ID3 tag editors). If you have a specific issue, please post the details. The devil is in the details, is one of my favourite sayings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
Thanks, Monica. Wonder how you were able to edit the ID tag info? It just gave me option to "remove properties and personal information" but didn't allow me to edit it.

I am running Windows 7 on my home computer. In order to display my suffix's (which I could then edit), I did the following:

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Personalization, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following:

To hide file extensions, select the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

After I clicked the OK tab, the upper-case .MP3 that was showing in your file, automatically turned into a .mp3 (lower-case).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I am running Windows 7 on my home computer. In order to display my suffix's (which I could then edit), I did the following:

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Personalization, and then click Folder Options.

I use XP at home but have Windows 7 Professional here at work. In the control Panel there is no such item called "Appearance and Personalization". The settings must be made on your current folder in Windows Explorer, then (if you wish) apply it to all folders. Microsoft is great at putting things in different places depending on their current mood.

pianolady wrote:
After I clicked the OK tab, the upper-case .MP3 that was showing in your file, automatically turned into a .mp3 (lower-case).

Nice, but this would not convince me it has indeed changed the name on disk. To be sure, better to rename to another suffix, then rename back.

If I had not somehow lost the source code of my upload program, I could change it to convert uppercase to lowercase and avoid this once and for all. I'll see if maybe I had the good sense to put a backup copy on the server.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
If I had not somehow lost the source code of my upload program, I could change it to convert uppercase to lowercase and avoid this once and for all. I'll see if maybe I had the good sense to put a backup copy on the server.
It's not going to matter much soon... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:56 pm 

Quote:
I'll put my tech support hat on for a moment :) You need to provide details about issues like this. Just saying "I can't" or "It won't let me" does not cut it. Exact error messages and screenshots are in order.

Re: the changing the tags on a public computer, I downloaded the file first. Second I right clicked and got to the properties box. Third I scrolled to the details tab, and I tried to click on the Name, Subtitle, etc. I didn't budge, meaning highlight the field in blue allowing me to edit the text. I didn't try Windows Media Player.

Quote:
It's not going to matter much soon... :wink:

Are we upgrading to Pianosociety 2.0? :D