Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Manuel de Falla - Quatre Pieces Espagnoles
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

Among my many favorite Spanish composers, Manuel de Falla is perhaps my most favorite. And among his piano oeuvre, the Quatre Pieces Espagnoles, dating from 1908, are my most favorite, second only to the Fantasia Baetica. These works show Falla being under the spell of Albeniz, and they have something of the grandeur and exuberant pianism of Iberia, albeit on a smaller scale. These rather difficult pieces have been taunting me for many years, and I believe I finally got the better of them.

I would like to dedicate these humble amateur recordings to the memory of Alicia de Larrocha, who will forever reign supreme in this repertoire.

Falla - Quatre Pieces Espagnoles - 1: Aragonesa (3:34)
Falla - Quatre Pieces Espagnoles - 2: Cubana (4:35)
Falla - Quatre Pieces Espagnoles - 3: Montanesa (4:31)
Falla - Quatre Pieces Espagnoles - 4: Andaluza (4:05)

I've also created a Youtube video on these same sound tracks : http://youtu.be/i8JojAYf5C8

Post subject: Re: Manuel de Falla - Quatre Pieces Espagnoles
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:30 am 

Bravo! This complete set of Falla's "Quatre Pieces Espagnoles" is one of your finest achievements. Excellent playing, Chris!

David

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
Bravo! This complete set of Falla's "Quatre Pieces Espagnoles" is one of your finest achievements. Excellent playing, Chris!
Thanks David ! Yes I think these are my best recordings to date. I intended them to be, as these pieces are very special to me and I worked long and hard on them. Yet again, perfection would not come - when listening back I heard some tiny flaws that did not reach my brain while playing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:25 pm 

This comes across as being played with authority and conviction - it sounds as though you have very clear ideas about what you want to do. It's certainly one of the best recordings I've heard from you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Andrew ! If I know where to go with these pieces, I have Alicia the Larrocha to thank for it, to whom I've listened very carefully without wanting to emulate her recordings. There's no hope for an amateur (or even a professional) to get anywhere near these interpretations. But I gave it my best shot :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:25 pm 

Not a bad one, Chris ! I have listened the four pieces with pleasure (I did not know them). Maybe we could dream about a little more contrasts and dynamics, but the text is carefully reproduced with great honesty and respect. Congrats !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Francois. Dynamics is an ongoing concern. My grand with its unpredictable action does not help. Pianissimo is exceedingly hard to achieve without dropping notes, or using the u.c. pedal which I don't like to do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:50 pm 

As a matter of fact, lack of dynamics is the only recurrent problem of your recordings.
- why not using una corda? It is definitely an important tool for pianists. If you find the effect too strong, you can tune it so that only a minor displacement of the keyboard is obtained. You keep all the strings hit by the hammer, but the sound is more mellow;
- talking about the hammers, how old and marked are they? Changing them (or at least picking them to decompress the felt) may radically improve the dynamics;
- the quality of microphones also matters;
- finally, you can also take care of the panist :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

I have reasons for not using the u.c. pedal. It's almost impossible to do without it making noise, and it alters the sound quality so that I don't like it anymore. I only use it in very special cases.

Apart from that it's again mostly the piano action to blame. Although the no-too-sensitive microphone and pianist are also factors.

Ah well, there must always be something to wish for... I pick on your mistakes, you pick on my dynamics :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:41 pm 

Well, if we could have children together - this is quite fashionable nowadays - they could have your precision and my dynamics... But the opposite could also happen :P so I won't take the risk !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Lord no... I would not take the risk either ! Just imagine they might be speaking French ! :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:27 pm 

Bravo. I was so impressed by these that I read all of the other comments before commenting to be sure I was not imagining it.

You might well dedicate these to de Larrocha. You achieve a "crispness" in these that is very 'de falla-like'. One of the traits that I identified with her playing. I got to hear her play when she was in her 70's, and it was still there.

The rhythmic difficulty of these pieces must be a headache, but the recordings never sound belabored at all.

BTW: I listened to the MP3's through speakers. Did not hear any problems caused by the instrument (squeaks, etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Stu. Except for the apparently insufficient dynamics and one or two iffy notes in no.4, I think these recordings don't put me to shame. Yet I keep wondering if it's not slightly preposterous to dedicate them to AdL... But you see, that was mostly a sign of sheer admiration and gratitude - whatever I know and understand about Spanish music I've learned from her.
The difficulty of these pieces is indeed considerable. It took me a long time to get them right.