Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Couperin - Les Baricades M. and a little Granados
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Francois de Larrard wrote:
This is just perfect to me ! Now Monica you're ready to record the whole 6th Ordre ! At least you should have a look on the next piece in the Ordre (Les Bergeries) which is to me even more exquisite than Les Barricades.

Thank you very much, Francois!! :D And thank you for the tip about the next piece in the set. I will take a look at it.

Francois de Larrard wrote:
Have a good sunday (here in Lyon spring is coming 10 days in advance, and flowers are flourishing everywhere in the garden !)

I am so envious!! We had the most terrible winter and there is still a lot of snow on the ground. This upcoming week is supposed to be nicer, finally, but I think it will still be a while before I see flowers. I guess I will just have to close my eyes and imagine that I am in Lyon...

Hope you having a nice Sunday, and thank you again! :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:22 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Thank you, Rainer!
My Granados second version has a timing of 2:44 (only 7 seconds faster than the first version). The second version plays for me when I click on the link. But I noticed that my first version (timing 2:51) is still on the "new recordings" list and it shouldn't be. I may be stuck with it on the server because perhaps I uploaded the files with two separate names...I can't remember. Or maybe the list just needs to refresh over night. Can you please try clearing your cache and then click on the Granados link here in the thread again and see if the file that is 2:44 plays for you now?
I was getting the earlier 2:51 (4128810 byte) file, but clearing my browser cache fixed it for me and I got the newer 2:44 (3950760 byte) one. This surprises me a bit because I thought these files would be too big to cache.

The newer one flows a bit more, but I actually prefer the dreamy quality of the earlier one. This is interpretive, I guess, but I still don't like those inter-section breaks you put in, they seem to artificially disconnect the sections from each other in a way I just can't relate to, and almost make it sound as though the sections had been separately recorded and then spliced with scant regard for continuity.

The first of these hiatuses, before the triplets 3 bars before the Gallardo section, is all the more noticeable because there is no rit in the previous bar, which makes the gap appear out of nowhere.

The second one is at the start of the Gallardo itself. But this one is OK because here you do rit in the bar before. Although this rit isn't in the score, I think it works well.

The third is at the beginning of the 4-bar "meno" section that links Gallardo to reprise. It seems to me that the last pair of LH sixteenths D-E should lead without interruption to the F in the "meno" bar. Why else continue this timed trill right to the end of the bar line?

At the end of the "meno" section, you are cutting short the dotted half-note chord, jumping into the reprise a bit early. But this is only on the re-recording, the earlier one was fine in this respect.

Finally, in the penultimate bar of the piece, and bearing in mind that the rall marked in the previous bar should still be in progress, you are playing the 8th-note B-A too quickly (the A comes too soon), almost as quickly as a ralled version of the 16th-note B-A an octave higher in the previous beat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:30 am 
Site Admin

I feel like all I have been doing the past week is making re-recordings....Sheesh! :roll: :)

Ok, Rainer, I've just made a third recording of the Pastoral taking into account all the points you raised. Before, I was thinking that there should be a little gap between those sections, but now I think you were right.

So here is number 3 recording ---hopefully, also the charm!

Granados - Seis Estudios Expresivos, no. 4 "Pastoral"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:01 am 

pianolady wrote:
Indeed. Much better. Thanks for putting up with my going on about these little points so much. You're a hard one to persuade, but since you did agree in the end, I guess it was worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

rainer wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Indeed. Much better. Thanks for putting up with my going on about these little points so much. You're a hard one to persuade, but since you did agree in the end, I guess it was worth it.

Thank you, Rainer. Maybe I am not the easiest person to persuade, but I am glad you stuck it out with me. Having an objective ear is so helpful!! It forces me to reassess my playing and/or interpretation and in the end results in a better recording. This is why I am here on Piano Society. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:07 pm 

I just listened to your third take of the Baricades to compare the volume to another piece when I realized I had not commented on it:
Yes, it's easier to listen to. But mostly because of the held notes. I like either tempo for this piece. Each new tempo that I hear is like listening to a cover of an old favorite song. Still makes me smile.
But this one will please the Couperin fans more, and since it's the first recording of a "greatest hit", so much the better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:53 am 
Site Admin

Thank you, Stu!
I was wondering why you were checking out my volume, but now I know why because of what you said to Francois.

But may I ask you: do you think my recording is loud enough? I often wonder about this but never thought to question other members. I have seen other member's wave images, and their spikes are much larger than mine. They are all the way vertical and take up the whole space. I have not done this because I am always afraid I will peak, so I use a lower input setting on my recorder and then increase my amplification in the post-processing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:16 pm 

pianolady wrote:
But may I ask you: do you think my recording is loud enough?

Yes. I listen to your recordings on the same level as any that I download (of any genre) from Amazon, YouTube, whereever, and it's fine. (Whether there's enough contrast is too general a topic to tackle. If I don't think so on a particular recording, I'll say so.)

I've had problems with this myself, and am always reminding myself to turn up the volume, which is why I commented on it on Francois' Beethoven.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:17 am 
Site Admin

StuKautsch wrote:
pianolady wrote:
But may I ask you: do you think my recording is loud enough?

Yes. I listen to your recordings on the same level as any that I download (of any genre) from Amazon, YouTube, whereever, and it's fine. (Whether there's enough contrast is too general a topic to tackle. If I don't think so on a particular recording, I'll say so.)

I've had problems with this myself, and am always reminding myself to turn up the volume, which is why I commented on it on Francois' Beethoven.

What you are listening with has a lot to do with it too. Well, I guess I will just keep doing what I'm doing. Thank you for your reply, Stu! :)