Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Scriabin Sonata no 2- Kazandzhidi
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:33 pm 

Here is a live recording from one of my concerts, I've been working on the sonata for a year, but still many musical ideas that I have contradict each other. Any feedback on how the first movement sounds as a whole? The second movement is musically simpler and based more on technical features and dramatic effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuaizHBArFQ
I have found with Scriabin's music, it is best to play it simple. The music speaks for itself, and too much rubato or "effects" would ruin the flow of the music. Agree, disagree?
Richard

Post subject: Re: Scriabin Sonata no 2- Kazandzhidi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:10 pm 

Beautiful playing. I admit to not being a fan of Scriabin as much as other composers of his period, but I quite enjoyed the piece and your rendition of it. Once in a while there are forte moments that are a bit jarring, but I am not familiar with the piece, perhaps those moments are meant to be a shock. And youtube doesn't transmit sound quality very faithfully.

You are right that too much rubato etc. would not be appropriate. In fact you use quite a bit of rubato and shaping but it comes directly from the music and it helps the music be understood. "Effects" as you put it, if added to the music from outside (and I sometimes hear students do this when they fear a piece or some moment of the piece will bore the audience) sound silly and distracting.

Welcome to the forum -- did you intend to submit this recording to the pianosociety.com archive for others to download? if so, an mp3 recording is necessary (and you may be happier with the sound quality of an mp3)

Post subject: Re: Scriabin Sonata no 2- Kazandzhidi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:07 pm 

Hi, thanks for your reply! I find that many people, especially young students at conservatories. Many of the student recitals/concerts at my school, Manhattan School Of Music, I rarely find Scriabin to be included in the program. And if he is, its only his more well known pieces, like the d sharp minor etude or c sharp minor etude. Although to be fair the 2nd sonata is one of his more played pieces. Yes, in the development section there are a few FF surprises with quick subito pianos. It can be quite a shock for people not too familiar with this piece. Back to the topic on Rubato, Scriabin writes the word Rubato in the sheet music at least 3 times throughout the piece which is admirable that he specifically tells you to play around and stretch with the rhythm.
Richard