Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Solvejg's Lullaby
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
Mind you, I paind 100 moneys for the one I have.

Wow, 100 moneys, that is a lot of buck :P

richard66 wrote:
Because the piece must be rewritten and not speeded up. Is that not what Liszt did with Alyabyev's Nightingale and Balakirev with Glinka's Lark?

Not sure those pieces are comparable with Grieg's lullaby, and Liszt's transcriptions go much further than this rather plain-faced and unpianistic setting of the lullaby. Nonetheless I am sure that something good can be made of this piece, and I am tempted to have a go at it, just for fun and to see if I am right. I am also a bit of a Grieg completist, still having vague plans (probably never to be realized), for a complete Grieg cycle, so this would sort of make sense. Is it the attached Russian score score you are playing from ? I wonder what that says on the left, if it's a dedication or
the name of a transcriber ? I have a feeling this may not be Grieg's own work, in which case I'll not bother with it.

Attachments:
's Lullaby.pdf [169.85 KiB]
Downloaded 130 times

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:14 pm 

Just as I say, Liszt adapted the pieces and made them into piano music, the same goes for the Balakirev.

You seem to have an extract from the vocal score and that must be the one that Bump used. The text on the left only says who translated it. I have an idea it might originate with Halvorsen, who published the complete incidental music in 1908, but I am not sure. The solo piano parts look like my version. I no longer have it scanned (it was one of those things that, according to the computer technician, I did not need), so I cannot send it to yu, as I have no scanner.

Otherwise by all means, have a go at it, if you so wish.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

I am pretty sure this score is what you are playing, I followed along with it. And I can read (c.q.Google translate) just enough Russian to see that this has been transcribed, but not by Halvorsen but by one E. Efremenkova (?). So I think I'll pass on it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:57 pm 

But it is not, because mine was transcribed by Walter Niemann, the German pianist and composer, and was published by Peters, together with one of the Grieg transciptions of Solvejg's Song (the one that is part of Peer Gynt Suite No. 2 and not the one that is part of his op 52 song transcriptions).

Perevod in Russian means translate (the "pere" suffix is equivalent to "trans") and refers to the Russian translation of the Text. Between Google and my wife, who is Russian, I take the latter any day!

To transcribe is Trascribirovat'.

Though Efremenkova could denote a Lady, the form being also the feminine of Efremenkov, in this case it is the genitive masculine singular of the surname. Easy, is it not?

While only the piano plays they are the same, but once the voice comes in, there are some differences. Might this not be meaningful?

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Ah right. Well either way it is not original Grieg so I am not interested in the piece anymore now.