Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Leschetizky - Andante finale de Lucia di Lammermoor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:26 am 

... pour la main gauche seule.

Which is where the problems lie ;)

This is a very fresh piece in my repertoire and there are a few smudges, so I certainly won't mind if it's not considered up to scratch. I'll be revisiting it later. Of course I could play it with two hands and no-one would be any the wiser.. but here it is for your consideration..

along with video proof that I did play it with the left hand, as the title states :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=205kPgHFLQU

In any case, I'll be interested to know what people think.

Leschetizky - Andante finale de Lucia di Lammermoor pour la main gauche seule, Op. 13

Post subject: Re: Leschetizky - Andante finale de Lucia di Lammermoor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:36 am 
Site Admin

Very nice, Andrew. I'm not surprised that your LH can play those arpeggios so nicely! :wink:
Ok, this is up. And I think you may have just won the award for the longest title... :lol:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:34 am 

Nice Andrew! Clear and sparkling.
I enjoy watching your videos.

On YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/cmudave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:01 am 

pianolady wrote:
Ok, this is up. And I think you may have just won the award for the longest title... :lol:

Protest! I tried once to win that award but my title was considere too long! Not fair!!! :x

I realise it is all old school fair play to use one hand when one hand is called for, but, in my humble opinion, what matters is what one hears, not what one sees.

I shall listen later and comment later: at present those around me (aged four) are listening to Hansel and Gretel (the opera!) and somehow I do not think this will blend well with Donizetti)

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:19 am 

Monica and David, thank you. I'm a bit embarrassed about missing a couple of notes in those arpeggios, I think it just shouldn't happen!

richard66 wrote:
I realise it is all old school fair play to use one hand when one hand is called for, but, in my humble opinion, what matters is what one hears, not what one sees.

I'm enough of a pragmatist to agree - especially when you consider how much "cheating" can be present on recordings, why not go the whole hog and use two hands? However, in this particular case, the piece was being performed and recorded in front of a small audience, so I couldn't really do that!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:07 pm 

Andrew,
I found this piece very entertaining. I'm not familiar with the opera, and so have no idea how much arranging was required by Leschetizky, but it's a very smooth piece.
IMHO, a few flubs in a live recording are just part of life. You played this really well - and I think you've carved a bit of a 'niche' for yourself with these transcriptions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:11 am 

Bravo, Andrew!

I watched the video and thought your playing to be superb. Regarding the two wayward notes you mention: In the context of a difficult piece for one hand, they are unimportant and did not distract. You played the piece with true artistry which is important. Marvelous!

Over the years I've read a lot about Leschetizsky but never knew that he wrote an operatic transcription.

David

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:30 pm 

Thanks, Stuart and David.

StuKautsch wrote:
Andrew,
I found this piece very entertaining. I'm not familiar with the opera, and so have no idea how much arranging was required by Leschetizky, but it's a very smooth piece.
IMHO, a few flubs in a live recording are just part of life. You played this really well - and I think you've carved a bit of a 'niche' for yourself with these transcriptions.

I'm not familiar with the original either, but I have played Liszt's setting of the same scene a long time ago (albeit having made a few textual alterations of my own) - the Leschetizky is not that dissimilar to the Liszt apart from being for just one hand! I agree the flubs are part of life, I just didn't expect them to be where they were.

Rachfan wrote:
Bravo, Andrew!

I watched the video and thought your playing to be superb. Regarding the two wayward notes you mention: In the context of a difficult piece for one hand, they are unimportant and did not distract. You played the piece with true artistry which is important. Marvelous!

Over the years I've read a lot about Leschetizsky but never knew that he wrote an operatic transcription.

The wrong notes do nag me. I don't think the piece is exceptionally hard - not trivial of course, before I started on it I was looking at the Godowsky "Tristesse" Etude (i.e. Chopin 10/3 for l.h. only) and I thought it was significantly harder. On the other hand, I am quite pleased with managing to incorporate expression, phrasing and voicing into it - for the short period of time I've had to work on it, that aspect went gratifyingly well and I only really lost the melody a couple of times.

Re a "niche" with these transcriptions, indeed I have managed to make a "fully professional" (my teacher's words, not mine) CD of them :) , and in a sense I'm now in the early stages of trying out material for a potential second recording.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:46 pm 

Hi Andrew,

Yes, the very first thing I noticed in your playing was the voicing--wonderful clarity in maintaining the melodic line! Whenever melody and accompaniment are to be played in the same hand, it takes a lot of technical and artistic ability to distinguish foreground from background and to strike just the right balance. And everything you play, including this Leschetizky transcription, is always expressive too. That's the sine qua non in communicating your interpretation to the audience--another strength.

David