Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Another Chopin nouvelle etude Ab major
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:24 pm 

The numbering of the Chopin nouvelles etudes is apparently not completely universal. My edition (Paderewski) lists the Ab major etude as the last one, so I believed it to be no 3. For this reason I overlooked Monica's post of it, confusing it with her earlier post of the Db etude which is number 2 in my edition. Only recently did I discover the facts. I want to post this anyway, with apologies to Monica for crowding this piece. Monica articulates more clearly, I go for a more dreamy and blurred approach though the tempo and main ideas seem very similar. There are several quite different interesting interpretations on youtube, check for example the ones by Rosenthal (a pupil of a pupil of Chopin) and Cortot (who plays this as number 3).

This etude turned out much more difficult than it looks (and hopefully sounds). The main problem for me is not the polyrhythm but rather the voicing of the RH chords, one mishap there and much is ruined! It is also a test for the RH pinky who plays almost all of the melody.

Again apologies to Monica, and a promise that my next post will be something no one ever played before!

This recording is single take, there may be an occasional error but I hope not too many.

Joachim

Chopin - Trois Nouvells Etdues No. 2 in A-flat Major

Post subject: Re: Another Chopin nouvelle etude Ab major
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:43 am 

Hi Joachim,
I like your playing of it very much, though I think you have too much reverb on the recording.
Regards,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:58 am 

Nice job, your phrasing I think colors the music well. Having heard this played by another PS player a short while ago, I am somewhat familiar with it. I think the reverb is ok, though I wonder if you recorded this with the lid open, or applied reverb after the fact?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:47 am 
Site Admin

No need to apologize, Joachim. I don't mind at all that you have also recorded this piece. It's good for us to offer varying interpretations.
I think you play this nicely - I have nothing to criticize (maybe as Eddy says - there might be just a little too much added reverb, but it's not too bad). The notes are all there and you play smoothly and convincingly and yes, I can hear the hard work from your RH pinky. :wink:

And I know what you mean about being confused by the naming of the file. I was too. Anyway, I changed the tags a bit and have uploaded the file. I'll put it up on the main site tomorrow.
Along with my own recording of this piece....seems I forgot to do that! :lol:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm 

Many thanks for your comments!

About reverb: I recorded with lid open and then added some reverb in audacity. Opening the lid gives a less muffled sound but does not really do much about reverb since the room is very small. But I'm a complete newbie with this and don't really know what I am doing. Here I'm posting the original recording (same take but without the added reverb) and would greatly appreciate any suggestion on which you think is best, or if I should go for some middle ground.

Joachim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, this is on the main site now. I'll try to listen to your file with less reverb later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:35 pm 

Very nice, Joachim. I listened to the one in the original post, and found the reverb to be borderline. FYI, I listen to these through speakers, though I do not know if that makes the reverb more or less noticeable. (I would think less, but maybe others know better.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

An excellent performance, musical, convincing, and authoritative. I like your implacably stepping LH and the Rachmaninov-like grandeur the piece achieves around 1:00. For criticism (as Riley would say), I sometimes don't hear all the notes of the RH chords. That is something that could still be improved. Personally I prefer the no-reverb version, it sounds far less swimmy without being dry. If that is your natural sound, you don't really need any reverb.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:46 pm 

Many thanks!

After some consideration I would wish to replace it with the no-reverb version. I agree it sounds clearer. Thanks for pointing this out. I append it here with hopefully correct tags, sorry for the inconvenience.

Chris is completely right about some missing inner voices. I do think they are there - I practised this like mad - but agree they are practically inaudible, especially where I use pedal and the notes already sound in the harmonies. I did want the melody to stand out clearly which turned out quite difficult in the p sections, and erring on the other side would disrupt the melody considerably. The f section in the middle was much easier in this respect.

I could edit together something better but I'd like to have this as a single take. And it is good to know what to work on when I return to it - but now I want to move on!

Joachim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I will replace this over the weekend.

edit: it's replaced.