Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Granados - Danza lenta, and Schumann - Romance
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:35 am 
Site Admin

Here are two pretty pieces I wanted to submit on Valentine's Day since they fit the day so nicely. But the Universe was going against me or something, and things just didn't go well.

We already have a nice recording of "Danza lenta" by Chris on the site, but I love this piece! It's warm, lush, gorgeous, and makes me feel good when I play it, so here is another version. The Schumann Romance is simply a sweet and romantic piece, which is why I tried to submit it on V.Day. Oh well.... :)

Happy belated Valentine's Day!

Granados - Danza lenta

Schumann - Three Romances Op. 28, No. 2 "Einfach in F-sharp Major"

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Re: Granados - Danza lenta, and Schumann - Romance
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:20 pm 

Hi Monica,

I had a listen to your recordings here and thought you played both well. I don't recall ever hearing the Danza, before. I agree with your assessment, it is quite a lush piece. If I could only make one suggestion about the Danza Lenta, I would say play the left hand softer in comparison to the melody. The way you played it there was a difference, but personally I think there could be more. Granted, at the beggining I think Schumann intends for the accompianment to get confused with the melody, as both play in the lower register. As the registers go apart further later in the piece, I think I hear a greater difference, which is nice. Perhaps you hear a difference between in dynamic levels between hands more prominently the further they are apart... :shock:

The Schumann Romance is quite nice The ostinatos come across legato and your rendering of the phrases like simple sentences makes the allure all the more in the simplicity which I think is the strong point of this piece, not unlike the Danza (at least at the beginning) how fitting to play these pieces together! If I could make a criticism about your performance, I wish I heard more of a sfz at 1:17 as it seems to be the first time there is some conflict in the romance as it were. The ending is nice. I like the long fermata, it left me in a trance 8) Now maybe I should go listen to something from my Stemper collection.. :lol:

Quote:
No Hotlinking

Roger that. :wink:

Enjoyed these,

Riley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Riley, thank you for listening!
The Danza lenta (Slow dance) is from a two-piece set called Spanish Dances. It's a separate set from Granados' more popular 12-piece set of Spanish Dances. How you say that the Schumann piece put you in a trance at the end.....that's how I feel when I play Danza lenta. Actually, I have to sort of get into a trance when I start the piece, because it's supposed to be ppp and it's so hard to play all the chords so softly while trying to bring out the top note just a little bit more, and then all the trills in the RH. Hard stuff for me - I literally have to take some deep breaths and think calm thoughts before playing.

The Schumann piece - I like it because the melody is mostly on the lower register. And I think it's the only piece I've played where the thumbs play most of the melody. Isn't that strange? But it works! The marking at 1:17 is p, so you can't really get any louder that that. The whole piece never gets louder than p or mp

pianoman342 wrote:

Quote:
No Hotlinking

Roger that. :wink:

Now I'm confused.....where did that quote come from?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:56 pm 

Quote:
The whole piece never gets louder than p or mp.

That's sounds tricky to play that softly. There is a lovely Piano Concerto by Chopin and the second movement is "Romanza," that has the same effect. The strings play con sordino, (with mutes) and though it sounds kinda cheesy I think it is a good dynamic for the romantic character of the Mvt.

Now I'm confused.....where did that quote come from?

Not something u wrote but it said in a gif or something maybe its broken. Does Jan's Graphics mean anything to you? :lol:

Attachments:
jansgraphics.JPG
jansgraphics.JPG [ 13.42 KiB | Viewed 3188 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:56 pm 

They're both very nice, Monica. Especially the Schumann, where I think you've hit the tempo that keeps it romantic and contemplative without being too slow, either. By playing the melody with mostly thumbs you avoid too much "percussive" sound which one gets sometimes in recordings of this wonderful piece.

The graphic that Riley is pointing out is the way your graphic in the original post appears to the rest of us. It looks like you're hotlinking instead of uploading the graphic (after downloading to your PC first if it's not already there). Perhaps a Valentine graphic?

Thanks for the recordings, too, from the point of view of how slow things have been lately. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, thanks Riley and Stu. You're right, I didn't see that weird message on my desktop computer, but I just looked on my smartphone and saw it. I've removed it and put up a different heart. Hopefully it can be seen...?

Riley - I know that Chopin movement well. It's so pretty!

Stu - thank you for listening too. I also wonder where everybody has been lately...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:19 am 

Monica,
These were both very lovely. You did a nice job of phrasing and voicing the melodies. It was a soothing experience.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:01 am 

Quote:
Hopefully it can be seen...?

Yes. I see it now. I thought you put the no hotlinking sign up intentionally to say no hotlinking the recordings...

Quote:
I also wonder where everybody has been lately...

Hopefully somebody who hasn't been around for a while can answer that.. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:56 pm 

These are lovely pieces well played.

In the Danza, I don't think I agree with Riley's point about left hand competing with melody. The left hand seems to me to have its own embedded melodic interest which must not be entirely displaced by what the right hand does. If the left hand were mere accompaniment, it would be excessive of the composer to allow it to "vamp" for almost a full 10 bars (lasting half a minute) before the "real" interest floats in out of nowhere as a wispy descant which gradually grows in significance.

I have just two minor criticisms. First, in the opening bars, I think more could be done to convey the pulse of the dance to a listener unfamiliar with the piece, i.e. to make clearer that this is in 3/4, so the downbeats would benefit from more emphasis, and of course this isn't made easy by the fact that they are more lightly scored than the other beats. As it is, the listener is apt to misinterpret the downbeats as upbeats, and this is reinforced by the descending fifth (dominant to tonic) from beat 1 to 2 in bar 3. Once one becomes more familiar with the piece, and knows what's going on, one tends to feel the downbeats more; one thinks one hears emphasis here more than one actually does hear it.

Second, after the bar with the loud chord at 3:37 and before the soft distant melody appears at 3:44, there is an abrupt chasm of silence. I'm not convinced by this, it isn't written, and I wonder whether the distant voice should rather grow out of the embers of the decaying chord.

I'm no huge fan of Schumann, but this Romance I rather like. I side with Monica on Riley's point about 1:17. If you want to inject more passion, I don't think such an abrupt outburst is the best way to achieve it. If anything, perhaps there could be more exaggerated upwellings and downwellings (is that a word?) of dynamic (hardly any dims are actually written, but must surely be implied), and maybe even of tempo too. What? The rhythm police asking for more rubato? Has hell frozen over? OK, relax and pick yourself up off the floor; if you expect rhythm quibbles, I will offer but two: First, I suggest the liberty taken at 2:27, 11 bars back from the end, may be a bit too much. This is the 32nd-note leading to the sf note under the fermata; for my taste the unwritten rit here, to convey a sense of suspense, is over-egged, it makes this short note just too late and too long. Second, I reckon that two bars after the fermata, at the end of the bar, at 2:41, the three sixteeth-notes in the left hand (starting with B#) come a bit too soon, i.e. the A#-E chord isn't held on for long enough.

But what a coincidence that you should choose to combine Granados with Schumann for Valentine's week! I attended a piano recital just on Saturday, given by the Taiwanese piano professor Giselle Hsin, who had done the same. She paired the first four Goyescas with a selection of five Kreisleriana, finishing off with Chopin's Op 2 variations on "La ci darem la mano". And all from memory, it was pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
Monica,
These were both very lovely. You did a nice job of phrasing and voicing the melodies. It was a soothing experience.

Thank you for listening, Eddy! I'm so glad the recordings are soothing. That's what I was hoping for!

pianoman342 wrote:
Yes. I see it now. I thought you put the no hotlinking sign up intentionally to say no hotlinking the recordings...
No, but that's a nice idea :idea: :)

rainer wrote:
These are lovely pieces well played.

Thank you for listening as well, Rainer! I carefully read your comments and checked the score in the places you mentioned and really I can only reply that I did experiment with dynamics, fermatas, etc. but these recordings are how I prefer to play and hear the pieces. But it's good to learn what others think, so thanks for that.

And now I've got Danza lenta in my head again. It will probably be there all day, which is fine with me! I love it!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Beautiful recordings especially of the Danza Lenta, a piece I much love. I like the trills to roll a bit longer, but this is ok too. My only real nag is the turn between the climax and the coda (at the rall. molto). You play g sharp which should be g natural (at least it is in my UME score which I assume authentic). The g sharp seems really out of character, un-Spanish as it were, and spoils the moment a bit for me. That silence just after is indeed a bit abrupt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:00 am 

techneut wrote:
Beautiful recordings especially of the Danza Lenta, a piece I much love. I like the trills to roll a bit longer, but this is ok too. My only real nag is the turn between the climax and the coda (at the rall. molto). You play g sharp which should be g natural (at least it is in my UME score which I assume authentic). The g sharp seems really out of character, un-Spanish as it were, and spoils the moment a bit for me. That silence just after is indeed a bit abrupt.

I thought I might investigate this with two Spanish references that I have. But I had trouble finding the work listed under the piano works of the composer. Then I realized I'm looking at books on Ginastera not Granados. How embarrassing. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:15 am 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:

Thank you for listening, Chris, but I think the G-sharp is correct. I don't have an actual book, I just used the score that's on ISMLP. I just checked it and it is also UME, but then it was reprinted in 2002 by Dover so I can't be sure of which edition I'm reading. But I listened to de Larrocha and she plays a g-sharp too, so.....

Also, I don't understand what is so 'un-Spanish' about the g-sharp anyway. It sounds fine like that to me. You are probably just used to hearing it 'your' way...That's how I feel with the E-natural/E-flat issue in Chopin's C-minor Prelude.

My trills....yes, I wish I could play them longer, but I can't. I run the risk of my fingers getting hung up when I try to trill longer and I don't want to ruin the line.

The break after the turn...I dunno...I just felt like there should one. To be honest, I never noticed themolto ten. above that last A. I wasn't planning on re-recording this piece, but now I think I will, because de Larrocha also holds onto the last A for a long time before she continues in the quiet part.

So, thanks again guys, I've learned something new and can hopefully make a better recording. :D

musical-md wrote:
Then I realized I'm looking at books on Ginastera not Granados. How embarrassing. :oops:

Nice try, Eddy! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Admin

That Dover edition is clearly a reprint of the original UME with some very minor editorial corrections. In my version printed in 1966, in that same turn there is a natural sign before the second A which makes no sense at all. These old UME editions can be a bit clumsy and confusing at times.

If Larrocha plays the G sharrp it's probably handed down via Frank Marshall and must be right. I'll stubbornly stick to the G natural though, as it may have been Granados's first thought, and second thoughts are not always better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Well now I am freaking out! Totally!! I can't believe this!!!
I just got into work, turned on my computer, got my radio station tuned in, and guess what the first piece I hear?
Danza lenta!!!! :shock: :shock: Really, this is so weird!!!! :shock: :shock: I listen to the same stations on Pandora radio every day and I've never heard Danza lenta come on before. :shock: :shock: :shock:

But here's the real kicker: It was played by D. Riva this time and he plays a G-natural! Aghhhh....what am I going to do? I have the house to myself tonight and planned to re-record this piece, but I don't know which note to go with now. :? :?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Go with the best, G natural. Never mind Larrocha :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:04 am 

pianolady wrote:
What an extraordinary thing to happen!
Quote:
It was played by D. Riva this time and he plays a G-natural! Aghhhh....what am I going to do?
Never heard of him, so I looked him up and apparently he is - horror of horrors - something of a Granados expert. But more so than Alicia? Who knows.
It says he was assistant director and she director of an edition of Granados's complete piano works. To think they might have actively disagreed about it is intriguing, but it's probably not that big a deal.
Quote:
I don't know which note to go with now.
Just do what your gut tells you. Given conflicting instructions, it falls to subjective interpretation.

For my two cents, I would note that Spanish editions are notorious for typographical errors. A natural sign (as Chris points out) makes no logical sense because there is neither a G# in the key signature nor has there been one earlier in the same bar which would need to be cancelled; there hasn't even been a G# anywhere previously in the whole piece, so it can't even be a reminder. So if Granados wanted a G natural, one would think he would have just written a plain G, without a natural sign. This suggests the original UME edition's natural sign is simply a misprint for a sharp sign which is probably present in the manuscript, a misprint which has been corrected in the Dover edition.

While there is merit in Chris's statement that second thoughts are not always better, and while it is his prerogative to "cling stubbornly" to what he is used to, there is no reason in this case to assume that a second thought of the composer himself was involved. Sight of the manuscript would probably resolve the question, but in the absence of that, I would intuitively plump for the G#.

That said, one might like to undertake a musicological dissection of the piece, and ask which version makes more musical sense. A G# suggests a temporary tonality shift into A major, but that doesn't seem to fit too well into the context. I give up. :?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:09 am 
Site Admin

rainer wrote:
pianolady wrote:
What an extraordinary thing to happen!

It gets better. Later in the day, Danza lenta came on again - this time played by Thomas Rajna, so I had more freaking out time! :lol: (Seriously, I still can't believe this - like it was Danza lenta Day or something.) I've listened to a lot of Rajna's Granados over the years and he's very good too. His technique is unbelievable, however I prefer Douglas Riva because I think he plays with more depth and sensitivity. And fyi - Riva is the most preeminent Granados expert there is!! He worked closely with de Larrocha and the two of them recently put out a complete set of Granados' works - I have several volumes already and plan to purchase more.

Anyway, although Riva plays a G-natural, Rajna plays a G-sharp and probably it is merely a difference in the score, whether it was the original version, or if Granados changed it later on. I just re-recorded my version of the piece tonight; some of the trills are better, some are worse--I'll never get it perfect! I also stuck with the G-sharp because that's what I'm used to.

So that's it.... now I'm listening to the piece once again while sipping some red wine and dreaming about a tropical paradise. Life is good! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:29 am 
Site Admin

rainer wrote:
For my two cents, I would note that Spanish editions are notorious for typographical errors. A natural sign (as Chris points out) makes no logical sense because there is neither a G# in the key signature nor has there been one earlier in the same bar which would need to be cancelled; there hasn't even been a G# anywhere previously in the whole piece, so it can't even be a reminder.

As I wrote, that natural sign is in front of the following A, where it makes even less sense than had it been on the G.
In any case I keep believing the G nat sounds much more idiomatic. It anticipates on the temporary shift to minor. I am pretty convinced that this was what Granados meant (and that Riva and Larrocha thought so when preparing the scholarly edition).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:59 am 

pianolady wrote:
probably it is merely a difference in the score, whether it was the original version, or if Granados changed it later on.
Yes, probably. But since the original UME edition is from "ca. 1915", he would not have had terribly much opportunity to change it before he died in 1916.
techneut wrote:
As I wrote, that natural sign is in front of the following A, where it makes even less sense than had it been on the G.
Ah, so you did. Sorry, I sloppily misread that, and thought you had said it was on the G. Still, these hamfisted Spanish typesetters are as likely to stick symbols in the wrong place as to use the wrong ones, so I wouldn't dismiss altogether the possibility of them doing both at the same time when preparing your 1966 edition.
Quote:
In any case I keep believing the G nat sounds much more idiomatic. It anticipates on the temporary shift to minor.
Perhaps, but for X to "anticipate" Y, one would have thought X should involve actually changing something, which sticking in a pointless natural sign, wherever it goes, does not do. Perhaps :idea: it should have been a flat sign instead, and on the B. OK, while this isn't really a serious suggestion, you've got to admit that it would sound nicely idiomatic too, and really would anticipate the minor, specifically the B-flats which do actually occur two bars later. 8)
Quote:
I am pretty convinced that this was what Granados meant (and that Riva and Larrocha thought so when preparing the scholarly edition).
That the two of them discussed this difference and that Riva persuaded Larrocha to change her mind is an interesting thought. If Monica is planning to purchase more volumes of this new edition, perhaps the one containing this piece should move up to the top of her shopping list, if it isn't there already. Do you think they would have been able to consult the original manuscripts, or are they likely to be lost/destroyed?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

rainer wrote:
In any case I keep believing the G nat sounds much more idiomatic. It anticipates on the temporary shift to minor.
Perhaps, but for X to "anticipate" Y, one would have thought X should involve actually changing something, which sticking in a pointless natural sign, wherever it goes, does not do. Perhaps :idea: it should have been a flat sign instead, and on the B. OK, while this isn't really a serious suggestion, you've got to admit that it would sound nicely idiomatic too, and really would anticipate the minor, specifically the B-flats which do actually occur two bars later. 8)

A B-flat would make sense too. Maybe a G-sharp AND a B-flat. I'm sure Granados tried all kinds of possibilities. Isn't it funny how one little half-step can matter so much? Just like the Chopin Prelude....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Well, my expert friend just told me that it is supposed to be a G-natural. That's the way Granados himself played it shortly before his death.
A. de Larrocha is the one who changed the note to a G-sharp.
I've now changed my recording to reflect this issue.

(grrr...I hate when I'm wrong.... :x :) )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 pm 

Well, perhaps your friend is right, but AdL was an expert too. On what basis can we choose whose expertise to respect more than the other's, and how does your friend know how Granados played it, and why didn't AdL?

Anyway, I've been starting to play this piece, and the more I play it, the more I like it. I'm sure you know the feeling. But the more I get to know it, the more I notice when things are not quite as I expect them to be. Where passages recur, they are sometimes identical, sometimes not. When they're different, sometimes the differences are obvious mistakes, sometimes they are almost certainly intentional, and at other times one just can't tell, and when that happens, given the unreliability of some of these editions, I'll perhaps too quickly jump to the conclusion that what's in the score is wrong.

OK, so I'm looking at the version from imslp. There are little things which are obvious mistakes, quite apart from the grammatical error in the title (españoles should be españolas).

Take bars 54 and 55 (top line of 3rd page). It seems pretty clear that these two bars which are almost identical should really be completely identical, specifically the 6 groups of 4 grace notes should all be D-F#-A-B, but the second group has a G instead of the F#.

Look at the four "molto ad lib" sections ending in a 2/4 bar. All four of these 2/4 bars (28, 35, 53, and 61) are completely identical. Now focus on the 3/4 bars immediately in front of each of the 2/4 bars (i.e. bars 27, 34, 52, and 60); they are identical except for two differences: One is that in 27 and 52 there is a trill while in 34 and 60 there is not. I'd say this difference is likely to be deliberate. The other is that 27, unlike the other three, omits the tie on the LH high G, and I suggest this is a misprint. Next, focus on the upbeats to these 3/4 bars (i.e. the last beats of bars 26, 33, 51, and 59). In bar 51 the legend "molto ad lib" is missing, presumably unintentionally. The last 8th-note chord is identical on all four occasions (in 33 there is a reminder sharp sign on the F# because there were F naturals in 31 and 32, and the lowest 3 notes aren't always printed in the same staves, but the actual notes are all identical). In the penultimate 8th-note chord it gets complicated: it's different every time, and I'm not sure what to make of this. The first instance (bar 26) has a C# in the RH where all the others have a B. Mistake? The last instance(bar 59) omits the lower G. Mistake? Apart from the differences already mentioned, the basic notes in this chord are (bottom to top) C#-G-A-B-G, but in 33 there is an extra lower-staff chord G-B-C#-E (the C# duplicating one in the higher-staff), and I'm wondering whether this may also be a mistake.

Here's more: See how the passage from (the 2nd beat of) bar 10 to (the end of) bar 20 is note for note identical to the passage from bar 36 to bar 46? Well, it isn't. One difference is that high E and D are added across the 44/45 bar line (presumably deliberately). Another is on the last RH 8th notes of 14 (B-E) and 15 (E) which differ from how they are in 40 (F#) and 41 (B-E). My suspicion is that 14/15 and 40/41 should be alike, and that 40/41 are correct, and therefore 15 should have the B added and 14 should have F# instead of B-E. With this in mind, I listened to a few YT recordings, and found that two of them do in fact play an F# in bar 14, one of them being AdL! It really made me feel good to find my humble intuition confirmed by someone like that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 am 

Hi, Monica!

This is a nice romanze!
The danza is very interesting also!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:41 am 
Site Admin

luissarro wrote:
Hi, Monica!

This is a nice romanze!
The danza is very interesting also!

Thank you, Luis! :)

rainer wrote:
Well, perhaps your friend is right, but AdL was an expert too. On what basis can we choose whose expertise to respect more than the other's, and how does your friend know how Granados played it, and why didn't AdL?

I chose 'my' expert, because he really is THE Granados expert! His expertise is equal to that of AdL (or maybe even higher). He is the same man I mentioned earlier, the one who worked closely with AdL for years on the new Boiler edition books. He knows everything about Granados - something even Granados' daughter claims is true.

I'm not going to repeat my conversation with him, but basically AdL changed that note to make the passage sound more conventional. It is a G-natural in the original manuscript. Regarding 'knowing' what Granados played - my friend mentioned the piano rolls that Granados recorded in New York just before his death. And just a moment ago, I light bulb went off in my head and I remembered that I actually have that recording on my computer! The whole "Masters of the Roll" album. I forgot all about it!!! Wow!!! Now I just listened to Granados himself play Danza lenta and it is just the neatest and nicest thing ever!!!! You should hear his trills...OMG, they are so fast and clean. And yes, he plays a G-natural!

Regarding the other issues you mentioned -- you are correct that it should be an F-sharp on the last top note of bar 14. Those chords before the molto ad lib. -- don't worry about them. What you see in the IMSLP score is correct and how Granados plays them. However, he does trill ALL spots right before the 2/4 bars. The 4 little grace note runs, you are correct that they should be identical - I had already caught that one myself too.

Well, now I will have to re-re-record myself playing this piece so as to make those corrections. But it's still okay because I still love "Danza lenta". And you know...it's been a while since I've been so immersed in one piece like this. It's fun! Especially a piece like "Danza lenta" - it's only three pages and sounds so beautiful and makes you feel so good, etc.... :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up, Monica, it's always interesting to get a bit of the background associated with such little details. What luck to have such an expert among your friends!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:54 pm 

I love the Schumann Romance and you play it beautifully. It is quite difficult to bring out and requires lots of concentration. I recall when I was young my teacher assigned this to me and warned me that it is more difficult than it appears. I didn't think so and promptly played it for her after a few weeks. Her reaction was unexpected: she declared this piece obviously too difficult for me right now. Instead we proceeded to the Waldstein sonata! This is just to show there are different kinds of difficulties. But you play it as if there are none!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:41 am 
Site Admin

troglodyte wrote:
I love the Schumann Romance and you play it beautifully. It is quite difficult to bring out and requires lots of concentration. I recall when I was young my teacher assigned this to me and warned me that it is more difficult than it appears. I didn't think so and promptly played it for her after a few weeks. Her reaction was unexpected: she declared this piece obviously too difficult for me right now. Instead we proceeded to the Waldstein sonata! This is just to show there are different kinds of difficulties. But you play it as if there are none!

Cute story, Joachim. And thank you! :)

Maybe this recording came out okay because I had the music memorized. I actually tried to make a video-recording, but everything went wrong. I got frustrated, gave up, and settled for just the audio recording.