Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Scriabin, Feuillet d'album, Op. 45, No. 1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:30 pm 

Hi Stu,

Thanks for your compliments on my playing. As to the phrasing, I don't think of that as a structural element as much as a musical intent to express the mood of the music while playing the long line of the piece. In the late romantic genre in particular, I believe that phrasing is the sine qua non.

I do think this piece could be played at a slower tempo yet, as long as still falls into andante. One thing I like about the one I chose here is that it suggests some impetuosity and ardor as the dalliance unfolds in this too brief vignette.

Thanks for listening!

David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Beautifully done ! The playing is both affectionate and authoritative. Nothing here to nag about, not even a page turn :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:25 am 

Hi Chris,

I'm so glad you liked my rendition. I play it with a bit more urgency and fervor than most, but just about everyone who has heard it gives it high marks. And no page turns! :lol: That's one of the reasons I love miniatures. Thanks for listening.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:05 am 

I've heard this piece before and even tried playing it once a few years ago, but I wouldn't have imagined it capable of being as seductive and passionate as you have played it here. As people have already said, the ebbs and flows of tempo are wonderful and entirely suitable. It swayed me from the very first note. Very beautifully played.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:23 pm 

Hi Affinity,

Thanks so much for your kind comments. The "seductive and passionate" sound is exactly what I was trying to achieve. So I'm delighted that I was able to put it across to the listeners that way. I'm glad that you thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for listening.

David

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:28 am 

Listened to this a couple of days ago but didn't have time to comment. Very nicely played, well phrased and full of colour and well-judged rubato. However, the file has now somehow disappeared (re-listened via the recording at pianostreet) and is showing up as 0.00 on the new recordings..?!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:42 am 

I tried to listen to your recording, David, but it doesn't work here, either.

Post subject: Re: Scriabin, Feuillet d'album, Op. 45, No. 1 HELP!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:16 am 

Hi Chris, Monica, or Riley

Andrew and Hye-Jin notified me that the original recording I posted here was not functioning. I tried to play it just now and all you get is a series of clicks. I reloaded it, but could not delete the original file. Can you please assist to restore this? Thanks!

Hye-Jin, in the meantime you can click on the second file showing the paperclip to hear the piece. Thanks for your patience!

David

Last edited by Rachfan on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Scriabin, Feuillet d'album, Op. 45, No. 1 HELP!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:09 am 

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad you were able to play the file a couple of days ago, but sorry to hear you had to go to another website to hear it again. I've left word with Monica about the problem, so hopefully it can be rectified.

Thanks you for your compliments on my playing of this album leaf. Coming from you it means a lot to me.

David

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:16 pm 

Hi Everyone,

Good news! Monica reloaded the music file, so it works fine now. Thanks again, Monica.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:45 am 

David, I finally could listen to it (and did it many times :D ). Just as Andrew wrote, your phrasing, rubato and the colors you put into this little piece must be highly praised! Just a little nag would be about the dynamic. To my ears, the process from the piano to the poco forte building a climax is admittedly very well executed through the agogic etc., but regarding the dynamic not so dramatic as I wished myself. I know it could be your artistic choice or it could be just the home-recording equipment, but I'm just pointing it out, since I know your devotion to the music and your capability.

I would like to add that at this occasion I searched the words "Album leaf" in internet (I was wondering what is the origin of this naming) and found a satisfactory answer based on the Grove Dictionary in the Wikipedia: "Originally, the term "Album leaf" was used for pieces written in dedication to a friend or admirer, to be inserted into their album or autograph book, and not intended for publication. It later lost any association with a particular dedicatee." :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:05 pm 

Hi Hye-Jin

Thanks so much for listening. On your suggestion, we think alike; however I was trying not to test my luck too much with the dynamic. What I mean by that is that most people play the piece at pp to p with the one f played more like mf. I purposely exceeded those boundaries, as I felt the music had more potential. I've been criticized elsewhere by one or two pianists as playing it too aggressively. Nonetheless I think my different interpretation stands out, and I'm glad of it.

I've always thought of an album leaf as an old picture or photo in an album that conjures memories for the observer which is then reflected in the music and playing.

I appreciate your feedback.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:01 pm 

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Hye-Jin

Thanks so much for listening. On your suggestion, we think alike; however I was trying not to test my luck too much with the dynamic. What I mean by that is that most people play the piece at pp to p with the one f played more like mf. I purposely exceeded those boundaries, as I felt the music had more potential. I've been criticized elsewhere by one or two pianists as playing it too aggressively. Nonetheless I think my different interpretation stands out, and I'm glad of it.

I've always thought of an album leaf as an old picture or photo in an album that conjures memories for the observer which is then reflected in the music and playing.

I appreciate your feedback.

David

Think of that most famous of album-leaves, though not called so: Fuer Elise! Not meant for publishing and found among the papers of this Elise. But it was called a "Bagatelle"!

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:25 pm 

Hi Richard,

Indeed. The descriptor is vague, thus begging that the music itself be heard in order to speak for itself. In the same way that a prelude, intermezzo, morceau, lyric piece, song without words, or moment musicaux, will not reveal their secrets by title alone, similarly the album leaf could hold a surprise or two. And if the album leaf suggests an image to the pianist, the image it conjures for a listener could be quite different owing to differing life experiences.

David