Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: The Nightingale and the Rose
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
Ok, Richard, I just replaced your file with a link. Check to see that it plays ok.

Hi Riley, There is no link. :?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:29 pm 

pianolady wrote:
I'm going to be an american in Paris pretty soon! :D Also I'll be in your city but only for one day.

Anyway, I like this version better..although I can't look at the score from where I am right now. Still, I'm willing to put this one up. Your tags are fine but the file name is wrong. It's 2, not 12. Riley, if you read this maybe you can process the file and cchange it to 2-2-Willmer and then I'll do the rest.

I am happy, because it is better: even I can hear that! Thank you. I am sorry about the error on the tag: I am an atrocious typer!

When are you coming exactly? I would be very happy to entertain you for that day.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:30 pm 

pianolady wrote:
pianoman342 wrote:
Ok, Richard, I just replaced your file with a link. Check to see that it plays ok.

Hi Riley, There is no link. :?

Do I need to upload it again?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:36 pm 

Quote:

No. It is up now, sorry about that. I thought I hit submit, but I must have just hit preview. Then I thought it was up. :oops:

and a note about this rerecording -- I like the slower tempo, it seems more meditative and pensive this way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:42 am 
Site Admin

Ok, it's on the site.

All I know now is that I'll be there sometime between Sept. 11 - 16th. I will let you know when I have a more definitive view; it would be nice to 'see' you - even if to just meet up for a cup of coffee or something. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:23 pm 

pianoman342 wrote:
Quote:

No. It is up now, sorry about that. I thought I hit submit, but I must have just hit preview. Then I thought it was up. :oops:

and a note about this rerecording -- I like the slower tempo, it seems more meditative and pensive this way.

I agree with you there, but I wonder what its real tempo is? It is marked "moderato" and to my mind this is anything but, though the introcduction comes out so much better at this tempo and this is the sort of way it is played, as Andrew noted.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:24 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Ok, it's on the site.

All I know now is that I'll be there sometime between Sept. 11 - 16th. I will let you know when I have a more definitive view; it would be nice to 'see' you - even if to just meet up for a cup of coffee or something. :)

Good.

Why only a day?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

It will probably be a day-trip out of Rome; by bus or train...we're still finalizing plans. I'll contact you privately when it's getting closer to the day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:46 am 

Richard,

Sorry to enter the discussion so late, but you have played this with much more nuance than I have heard before. Cudos! This is a cohesive performance.

I know that for quite a while you were getting frustrated because the lot of us had this criticism and that criticism. But you have listened and found the things that work for you and incorporated them. BTW, I'm not listening with score in hand. I'm the type that I only get the score out when something sounds odd. Even on unfamiliar pieces, if it seems to make sense aurally, I am willing to enjoy it, regardless of errors.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:58 am 

RSPIll wrote:
Richard,

Sorry to enter the discussion so late, but you have played this with much more nuance than I have heard before. Cudos! This is a cohesive performance.

I know that for quite a while you were getting frustrated because the lot of us had this criticism and that criticism. But you have listened and found the things that work for you and incorporated them. BTW, I'm not listening with score in hand. I'm the type that I only get the score out when something sounds odd. Even on unfamiliar pieces, if it seems to make sense aurally, I am willing to enjoy it, regardless of errors.

Scott

Thank you, Scott! I believe we all learn. I agree with you: I have one version of this piece for voice and piano and... I prefer my version. The left hand issue I have mastered by not trying to play more lighlty, but simply by knowing how it should sound and trying to achieve that sound.

Even in thisp piece I noticed after that there was one interval (not chord) that could have beed softer, but then I was following the score when it said that the interval should have been accented.

I agree with the score idea: I do the same as you.

Also I changed the microphone position: this seems to produce a fuller sound, while at the same time not being as loud.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:33 am 

Hello Richard,

A very interesting piece. You are able express the melodic line when it is standing alone and when it is richly accompanied. There is no change in intensity throughout save a few dynamic shadings and yet your presentation is interesting. Your expression is very appropriate. This piece has both the East and the West in it and you bring out both quite well.  Thank you for sharing.

Kaila Rochelle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:21 am 

musicrecovery wrote:
Hello Richard,

A very interesting piece. You are able express the melodic line when it is standing alone and when it is richly accompanied. There is no change in intensity throughout save a few dynamic shadings and yet your presentation is interesting. Your expression is very appropriate. This piece has both the East and the West in it and you bring out both quite well.  Thank you for sharing.

Kaila Rochelle

Thank you, Kaila!