Rameau - Les rappel des oiseaux

Upload new recordings for evaluation and discussions. Acoustic instruments preferred, although digital is allowed. MIDI or other digitally rendered/manipulated recordings will not be admitted.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Rameau - Les rappel des oiseaux

Postby Biggemski » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:09 am

I am here with another spam :P
Please, do not expect studio recording. Thank You! It is youthful and so full of mistakes:). Also little problem with recording machine occurred, but other versions I tried afterwards were worse and worse so I posted this:)
Every comment appreciated for study purposes.

Re: Rameau - Les rappel des oiseaux

Postby cmudave1125 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi Martin!
Just listened to this with the score and I have a few comments/thoughts.
1) I wonder how this would sound if you lightened up on the 2nd beat of each measure? The score that i am using does not indicate any accents on this beat and I think it might smooth things out a bit.
2) I might consider carefully using a bit of pedal for color in selected places.
3) For me, there are places which would benefit from more evenness of touch or rhythm. For example, the RH sixteenth notes beginning around measure 11 would benefit from a more even, legato touch.

It seems you are enjoying playing harpsichord repertoire! Thank you for sharing with us :)
David Harrison

On YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/cmudave

Postby Biggemski » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Dear David, thank You for Your kind comment. I will definitely consider the points You have brought forward. Yes, I would like to play harpsichord actually! I started as a pianist, now I play mostly organ, to have harpsichord would be great. Best wishes, M.

Postby pianoman342 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi Martin,

I had a listen to your recording. I enjoyed listening to your performance, but note the tag guidelines for uploading mp3s here:

If you are not serious about having this piece on the main site, in the future, you can post recordings on a blank thread at the repertoire chapter of the forum.

"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker

Francois de Larrard

Postby Francois de Larrard » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:14 pm

This is another nice and well-known piece of the French harpsichord repertoire, and again your interpretation is very good. With a slightly faster tempo, you would approach Marcelle Meyer's version, who remains I think THE reference for this music played on piano. Congratulations !
"Je préfère ce qui me touche que ce qui me surprend"
François Couperin (1668-1733)

Postby musical-md » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi Martin,
I enojoyed this very much. However, I agree with Francois in thinking that your performance would be a bit more songbird-like if it went just a bit faster. It is easy to see the programmatic progress from this work to one like Debussy's Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune.
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne

Postby Biggemski » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:28 pm

I forced myself to record another one, not at all perfect. I guess I need to practice little more to post some serious version. This is wild:). I think still have much unnecessary "pianistic" habits of useless movements of hands. My professor teaches technique to have almost still hand, focused on, just the fingers playing from the joints, its efficient organ (harpsichord) style. I think it would be good to employ it for this piece, not to be so excited, spaced out and... erroneous:).

Return to “Audition Room”