Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: van Hoorick - 24 Preludes Op.39 - Nos.1-7
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:19 pm 

That´s really good contemporary music, and in some points these pieces remember me of Franz´ style. (Of course, it´s not one to one the same.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Yes that thought occurred to me too. Both feel they don't have to be modern for the sake of it. Franz' style was both more classisistic and rhapsodic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 am 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
Both feel they don't have to be modern for the sake of it. Franz' style was both more classisistic and rhapsodic.

I agree, but Franz especially felt connected with the epoque of romantic, in the base of his heart he was a romantic!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:21 am 

What a nice music ! Thank you Chris for this discovery. Your piano sounds very good. Is it recorded by means of the Tascam ?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Didier wrote:
What a nice music ! Thank you Chris for this discovery. Your piano sounds very good. Is it recorded by means of the Tascam ?

Thanks Didier ! Yes it is the Tascam as usual.

I can't resist posting a translation of the composer's feedback here.

Quote:
After repeated listening I find your recordings better every time (I was only used to a digital recording: technically perfect and inhuman). I admire the expression that you oput into it, and also the technical skill (even if you miss a note, this is certainly not annoying). You have obviously devoted much time and this has paid off, because I think you really succeeded with this recording to make a case for my compositions, to introduce them the public. And if someone would not like your performance, it is perhaps the composer ...

From the video I see that sometimes I would have to have more consideration for the pianist: especially the huge leaps in the right hand...

Now my comments per prelude.

Overall, I find only 2 and 6 slightly less, and 4 and 7 are really great.

Prelude # 1. Very well done. Very expressive and that's the intention. The melodic lines (counterpoint) you have very aptly highlighted. Sometimes, the left hand could still be be less emphasized relative to the right hand.

Prelude # 2. Bars 7-8 and 29-30 are wrong. It is not D-C-H-A, but C-H-A-G here. The other notes should also be 1 tone lower. This is the only error (X 2), which is somewhat disturbing. Perhaps you have not properly read the score there. The final sprint is very good. You give the prelude the power it needs, so that's okay.

Prelude # 3. Very well done, this impressionistic prelude.

Prelude # 4. Beautiful. More beautiful than I ever thought to hear.

Prelude # 5. Also very good really.

Prelude # 6. Maybe it surprises you, but I think your performance too fast and too little expressive. The title "Bachiana" I have chosen, I have consciously chosen, but the fact remains that this music is non-Bachian. What do I mean? It does (including myself) remind one of Bach, but in fact almost everything is in the right hand (there is no counterpoint) and this music is romantic in character.

Prelude # 7. Very strongly performed. Sensitive and accurate. Beautiful. I see that romantic preludes such as 4 and 7 suit you exceptionally well.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. Despite composing is a hobby, it means very much to me that these preludes have been given such a beautiful performance.