Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: new recording for chopin op64/1
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:22 am 

Hey folks,
I have re do my chopin op64 no1, with a proper digital recorder and better articulation.
This time, I think I have played every single note. I simutaneosly did a Video and separate sound track using a digital recorder. Here is the mp3 sound track only as I still try to work out how to sync video file /sound this week.
Enjoy....

Cheers

Attachments:
File comment: minute waltze
chopin op64-1 for video silence.mp3 [1.42 MiB]
Downloaded 123 times

Post subject: Re: new recording for chopin op64/1
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John,

You're almost there! I think you played this nice and musical, however, you are not quite right when you say that you played every note this time. Maybe you are listening to just your right-hand (which sounds good), but there are quite a few missing notes in your left hand. You're not always getting in the three beats in the left hand and it's sometimes making things not flow so well and sound sort of herky-jerky. The sound is fine - except you have a little too much silence in the beginning.

If you can now pay attention to your left-hand - smooth it out and get all the keys down, as well as keep your right hand trickling along nicely like you already are doing, then you'll have a good recording! :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

Addendum....

John, I noticed your compression rate is 128 kbps here. If you do 192 it will sound better (but no higher than that). Also, please name the file and tags properly. Instructions for that are at the top of the Audition room and a couple other places. Thank you!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

John,
I wonder if you ever practice at slow speed. It would be very interesting (and confronting) for you to download an evaluation copy of Amazing Slow Downer and listen back to this at half speed. Then ask yourself if you are playing everything as written. To my ears this does not sound much better than the previous version, still sloppy and uncontrolled with a lot of missing notes and fumbled rhythms. There is no point in trying to gauge the musical value of your performance before a degree of accuracy is reached. Sorry to be harsh yet again, but this seems a long way from being acceptable for the site. Please, practice slowly, like a metronome, considering every note. It really helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:54 am 

thanks for your critics pianolady and Chris. Ok, 192 comp-ression is the first thing. Next download software to listen half speed. Very interesting using 21 centry technology :P ....Talking about slow speed playing ..yes, I do, every one does it at there "own" speed at moderate level at beginning, but not every one played the same because we are not robot.

Anyway, for a long time I knew you guys must be using some "hack" tools to listen for missing notes or play exact like a metronome. But I think one may miss the point of playing the art of music of individuality.

Meanwhile, back to the drawing board. I have to say this is a very contradict to what other says(including my serveral former teachers at conservatorium and friends before submitting this recording.

. Well you set the rules and we follow.... :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:06 am 

Johnmar78,
I didn't comment on your recording before because I really didn't have much encouraging to say. I don't use any sw to listen, just my ears. All I will say is that this piece is not yet in your grasp. You're over-reaching to try to play it at the speed you are attempting. IMO, you need to do much metronomic work at slow-to-moderate speeds, and only when you can play it flawlessly, then slowly and systematically advance the speed. The metronome won't make you play it metronomically, rather it imposes discipline on your technique. I offer this now because you seem not to believe Monica and Chris when they tell you sincerely that your performance is flawed significantly and that you need to work hard to get this acceptably performed. Only you can tell if the work necessary is worth it to you.
Good luck.
Regards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:59 am 
Site Admin

johnmar78 wrote:
Anyway, for a long time I knew you guys must be using some "hack" tools to listen for missing notes or play exact like a metronome.
Haha good one. As if a pair of trained ears can not pick up all the errors here. I've never used Amazing Slow Downer to evaluate submissions, only applied it to some recordings by Kapustin and Hamelin to hear what exactly they were doing in some selected spots. I've only used it once on my own recording, and cringed in horror. It is the most confronting thing you can imagine. By all means do it, if only once, and eat humble pie.

johnmar78 wrote:
But I think one may miss the point of playing the art of music of individuality.
This one's good too. Is your recording so individual and musical that handfuls of misses are justified ? Is that not a privilege of only the greatest artist from the past ?

Maybe we need to discuss how many flaws (rhythmic errors, wrong/missed notes) are acceptable. I'd say, unless the going gets real tough, not more than one or perhaps two per page. If there's issues in almost every bar people are not going to enjoy it. You'll need to develop a lot more self-criticism, and really listen to yourself.

johnmar78 wrote:
Meanwhile, back to the drawing board. I have to say this is a very contradict to what other says(including my serveral former teachers at conservatorium and friends before submitting this recording.
I can understand how friends would think all you do is wonderful, but this does make me wonder about the level pf Australian conservatoria. I don't believe any serious professional musician should have told you this was ok. Perhaps they were just being polite. I'd once more advise to take a break from Chopin and dig into Bach and Mozart. I know it has helped me a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:56 pm 

Here is one for you and gives me another world of visoin of interpretation..
Mine is pretty slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PJqdkXD ... re=related

Enjoy......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Why are you so obsessed with speed ? My gripe is not with your speed per se, but about the fact you sacrifice accuracy to it. Friedman doesn't do that, he's on top of it. Once you have a comparable technique you can get away with such speeds, too, provided you have something special to say (which Friedman has, I have to admit even though I don't agree with it).
But speed is overrated... don't try any faster than your technique allows.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:44 am 

Hi Chris, I do not like to play fast, as matter of fact the latest recording s plays slower and softer than my 2008 take.
Speed is nothing but expression of indivual art that counts. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:56 pm 

johnmar78 wrote:
Here is one for you and gives me another world of visoin of interpretation..
Mine is pretty slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PJqdkXD ... re=related

Enjoy......

A perfect example of what one may do when there is no lack for technique!

Last edited by musical-md on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

johnmar78 wrote:
Hi Chris, I do not like to play fast, as matter of fact the latest recording s plays slower and softer than my 2008 take.

Well that is good. However you are still picking out the fast pieces and trying to play them faster than you actually can.