Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Frietas Branco Sonatina
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:27 pm 

I have been studying the first sonatina in the set of three by Luiz de Freitas Branco since yesterday. I first heard these pieces here and was lucky enough to find a score on the internet (I'm using the Lisboa: Sassetti & Ca. Edition published in 1927)

I noticed one little discrepancy between the version already on the site, Chris's, and mine. In measure 22 there is a c sharp in the left hand in the first beat and fourth. It's on the top of the two note chord during the first beat. During the second beat it's on the bottom of the two note chord (not marked but because it is not marked as an accidental I take it as a sharp).

I will probably record the second sometime in the next week. The third, after what Chris has said, I do not think I have at this point what it takes to play that piece well... Maybe someday :roll: :P

~Riley

Post subject: Re: Frietas Branco Sonatina
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Nice work Riley. It's good when people say 'I heard this first on PS' ;-)

You could work a bit more on phrasing and dynamics, and let the piece grow on you a little longer. I did not record this one the next day either even though technically this is so easy as to be a sit-down-and-record job.

I think I play bar 22 as written but dammit, I do miss the second D# in bar 21 :x
I should learn to read notes before I record something.

You should at least try the 3rd movement, it is an excellent etude. But yes there are some real tricky bars which will give you grief.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:47 am 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, hopefully PS is the source for music not available on naxos classiccat or wherever :)

Now that I listen back I do feel my interpretation doesn't "hold together" quite as well as yours.

And it was the D#, you play everything else as I have it written in my score. I listened to your recording when I was saving my recording and I detected a difference :o

I may try the "RONDO," as the 3rd mvt. is marked, at least I have some advice fingering wise about how to handle the one challenging measure in your OP.

~Riley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
Now that I listen back I do feel my interpretation doesn't "hold together" quite as well as yours.

I would not say that, but it sounds a bit too much like you've just learned it. Simply allowing more time to mature would (should) fix that.

pianoman342 wrote:
I may try the "RONDO," as the 3rd mvt. is marked, at least I have some advice fingering wise about how to handle the one challenging measure in your OP.
The entire movement will be a challenge, but I feel it is worth the effort. I'll be interested to hear how this particular passage feels to you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:52 pm 

I have rehearsed the second sonatina in the set about 20 times and this is after about 5 takes. I tried to take the piece at a slower andante. I still think the ritardando at the end could be made even more, (it is marked molto rit.)

Hope you can enjoy, maybe a while before I finished the third piece :)

Attachment:
freitasbranco-sonatina-2-tucker.mp3 [1.29 MiB]
Downloaded 115 times

Riley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Good work. I could imagine a bit more fantasy and variation, the contrast between the legato LH and staccato/portato RH more pronounced (not that I've been wholly successful there). Also I think it's a little on the slow side. But I'm glad my recording inspired someone else to take up this endearing piece too :D

For the record, this is not the "second sonatina", just the second movement of "the sonatina" :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:21 am 

Thanks for the feedback Chris. I agree there could be more fantasy and also listening back again I noticed at measure nine (including the pickup) there is not enough cohesion between the and of 3 in the left hand and the last double note chord in the right hand. Arghh. Maybe I'll try it again, I finished my exams so now I am on break.

Riley

Edit: revision for clarity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:45 pm 

guess what, i quite like this kind of music another new dimension from old sonatinas... good work