Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: The 3 B's
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:46 am 
Site Admin

RSPIll wrote:

Hate to be a Grinch, Monica, but Post Office is closed Monday. No Mompou until Tuesday.

Scott

Really? Rats!! I didn't know that. Darn it!! :x I was going to stay in my pajamas all day tomorrow and just play new music the whole time. I have to go back to work on Tuesday... :(

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:19 am 

Hello, Monica,

I do hope you have received your books from the post-office.

I am still learning Beethoven’s “La Marmotte” and I am very pleased about my progress.
Good thing is that the melody is so inspiring that I don’t mind trying again and again and again,
and an hour quickly passes and I have developed further.
I am very pleased, because my left hand coordinates very nicely with my right hand.

Best wishes for 2012 from Kristina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Kristina,

I'm glad you are making good progress on "La Marmotte". :)

Yes, I had one of my sons go to the post office yesterday to retrieve my package of Mompou books. So now I have a lot of new music to explore and I'm very happy about that! :D The only problem is that I have to get a few pieces off my piano first, plus I am working very hard on a couple big pieces for an upcoming amateur piano group gathering, and so I don't have much time to spend on other music. But many of these new Mompou pieces are short and not very difficult so the music will make a good diversion for when I need a break and want to play something else.

I just thought of something....since you like "La Marmotte" so much, you may also like Faure's "Pavane", and Paderewski's "Sarabande" from his Humoresques de Concert - Op.14. Both of these pieces have that beautiful and melancholy feel to them.

Happy New Year to you too, Kristina!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:01 am 

Hello, Monica,

Thanks for pointing out Faure’s “Pavane” and Paderewski’s “Sarabande”. I am "almost there" with my "La Marmotte" and I have just had a look
at the scores of "Pavane" and "Sarabande" on the Internet and I look forward to study them.

Faure’s “Pavane” should be interesting to study because one has to be careful not to play it “too sweetly” and I imagine it a challenge to “get it right”.

I was quite surprised about Paderewski’s “Sarabande” because I did not know he composed such sensitive melodies. I have a few records of him playing Liszt/Chopin and I only associated him with Liszt/Chopin-interpretations.

I have listened to your interpretation of Paderewski’s “Sarabande” and I like it very much

I am glad you have received your package of Mompou books and I wish you good luck with learning the “couple of big pieces” for the upcoming amateur group gathering.

Best wishes from Kristina.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:40 pm 

Hi Monica,

I had a listen to your various recordings by the three B's, I found something to enjoy in each piece--the playing!

nice "baroque" detached style of playing in the Bach in F Major and C major, while still maintaining legato voicing

Interesting the "marmotte" is a lieder. It sounds to me like it could be an arabesque by Bergmuller. I enjoyed the short staccato like feel you give the octaves, and the top octave note accent

I liked your control of dynamics in your Beethoven piece. Did you use a soft pedal the second time or did you just play softer?

Your interpretation of the Brahms waltz is sensitive and I can hear accents on the 2 and 3 beats which gives the piece the distinctive waltz feel!

I read you have acquired some mompou literature. I am jealous :lol: But am happy for you, I do enjoy his music. Look forward to more mompou from you! (alliteration and rhyming unintended :wink: )

Riley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Riley! I did use the soft pedal on both repeats of the Beethoven Ecossaise. I always try to somehow alter repeats to avoid monotony.
And yes, I'm so happy with my new Mompou music. It's never-before-published material - three whole books! :D :D :D :D :D :D