Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: New Classical Work
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:55 pm 

I hope you will enjoy this new piece I have written for a great child prodigy pianist.
Heard that she was playing with Lang Lang last week, and thought you might appreciate this link here.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving, all!

There is a "click to listen" button that opens an audio player, and a score to follow along with:
http://www.jeremiahbornfield.com/?p=67

Jeremiah

Post subject: Re: New Classical Work
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:14 am 

But the last page is not playable (at the tempo that you have it sounding at).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:05 am 

I can play it at that tempo. But that is also why my indication is "fast as you can"!. What did you think, generally?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Maybe we should comment once your child prodigy has recorded it ?
Judge from the score alone, it looks a bit contrived, designed to show off outsize virtuosity more than anything else.
But it's hard to say without hearing what it sounds like.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:03 pm 

Jeremiah,
I would like to hear your (or anyone's, not a SW program) performance of that last page. Anyway, in general, I'm having difficulty categorizing this work. It is certainly not popular or easy-listening, but it doesn't make me think "classical" (the general term) either. Perhaps "classical-light"? Formaly, I think it's mostly through-composed, which is the way of writing music without the discipline of formal structure. Have you written a Rondo or Sonata form? Though the harmonies are certainly acceptable, do you think about tonality and shifts (modulation) of same? This is a higher-order structure that seems to often be beyond the reach/craft of many younger composers (I don't remember/know if you are one of our younger members or older ones like me). When you set this up as a work written expressly for a young prodigy, actually I expected much more mechanical difficulty - but perhaps your referring to a "relative" prodigy for their age (?): e.g. a 7 year old playing like a 15 year old, but not like a 20 year old. Anyway, I guess I'm ambivalent on this one.

Respectfully,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:48 pm 

Thanks for the criticisms. I realize that the leaps aren't easy, but with much work they are possible at that tempo. As to the structure, this is a rondo, but the "a" sections have been varied. I will gladly play this piece at some point, along with another hour of my solo piano music. For now, I am lucky to have a few great pianists to write for. The little girl, really 13 year old, just played duets with Lang Lang last week, and with the Montreal Symphony last month, so needless to say, she has a bit of momentum on all of us! I'm in my 30's now, and am impressed with Annie's playing, after being in close contact with many great pianists.

Eddy, I think you have an excellent question, as to genre. I'm rather enjoying the umbrella of "new music", but it is a bit more like romantic music. My friends that don't know a lot about music like to call it classical, and oddly enough, I don't mind that either. Then again, classical music is rather contrived, even in the best case.

So glad you could have a listen, all.

JB