In memoriam of Franz-Josef Streuff: Late Intermezzi I-III

Upload new recordings for evaluation and discussions. Acoustic instruments preferred, although digital is allowed. MIDI or other digitally rendered/manipulated recordings will not be admitted.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Re: In memoriam of Franz-Josef Streuff: Late Intermezzi I-III

Postby andrew » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:58 pm

These are interesting pieces. It strikes me that your teacher had an unusually acute harmonic sense. The music is always clearly tonal, but nonetheless the actual tonality often floats in a freely varying manner. It's not easy to be sure from just listening, but it seems to me that from a compositional perspective he frequently uses cells (rhythmic and melodic) to maintain structure and coherence. Your playing was sensitive and clear; thanks for posting these pieces which are worthy of wider public attention.

Re: In memoriam of Franz-Josef Streuff: Late Intermezzi I-III

Postby musicusblau » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi Andrew,
thank you very much for your interesting and kind comment and for your interest and praise of Franz´ music.
I´m so glad, that some people are interested in the works of Franz-Josef Streuff and I would be highly delighted, if the number of those would increase!
Yes, Franz´ had a very good and subtle feeling for the harmonic progessions and structures. I like your idea of the "cells" and I think, they describe aptly the structure of Franz´ thinking in composing music, but of course, there is also a lot of development and "motivic and thematic work". Their are some audacious and interesting modulations and harmonic progressions within these little nice works. I will record more of the work of Franz-Josef Streuff in future by and by.

Return to “Audition Room”