Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach: prelude and fugue f-major, WTC II, BWV 880
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 am 

I don´t know yet, if that will already be my final interpretation, but I think, that one contains some of the musical ideas of interpretation of details, which my final version surely will have.

I´m half away on the completion of WTC II, by the way (c-major until f-sharp-minor I already have done until now).

Come on, Chris and others, let´s have Bach-fun again. I have to admit I missed it a lot after this break of school-stress!

Here are the video-links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_FAeHs0 ... ideo_title (prelude f-major, WTC II, BWV 880)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dARaU-E ... ideo_title (fugue f-major, WTC II, BWV 880)

The mp3-file below is exact the sound-track of the videos above.

Attachment:
Bach, Prelude & Fugue f-major, BWV 880, WTC II.mp3

Post subject: Re: Bach: prelude and fugue f-major, WTC II, BWV 880
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:32 am 

Andreaus,

Beautiful performance of this prelude and fugue, as always.

I'm ready for some "Bach-fun". I have three P&Fs in the works from book 1. I'm sort of having a Bach summer between getting the music together for our local theater groups production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" and my church job.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:49 am 

Hi Andreas,

I watched both videos. You brought out the wonderful lyricism of the prelude. What a beautiful piece. I very much enjoyed the fugue too, as you gave every voice its due. Very fine playing, as always!

David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 am 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
Come on, Chris and others, let´s have Bach-fun again. I have to admit I missed it a lot after this break of school-stress!

Ah, Bach-fun, yes.... I have been distracted by other repertoire lately but should get ready to record my next WTC re-recordings as well as the second English Suite which has been germinating for what seems like an eternity.

These are exemplary played as always though personally I find them rather too slow. Especially the fugue misses the exuberance that I seek in it, culminating in some joyous acrobatics. The prelude seems overall a bit lacking in dynamics and phrasing (though not in some places). I like to play a bit more with these continuous gently lapping up-and-down phrases. All very personal and subjective of course.

I thought I heard a couple of read errors in the prelude. Will have to check with score tonight for some proper nitpicking :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:55 am 

RSPIII wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful performance of this prelude and fugue, as always.

Thanks for that, Scott!

Quote:
I'm ready for some "Bach-fun". I have three P&Fs in the works from book 1. I'm sort of having a Bach summer between getting the music together for our local theater groups production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" and my church job.

So, I´m curious on your recordings. Have you already posted them or will you still post them? Who is the author of that theatre piece? I don´t know it, sorry.

Rachfan wrote:
Quote:
I watched both videos. You brought out the wonderful lyricism of the prelude. What a beautiful piece. I very much enjoyed the fugue too, as you gave every voice its due. Very fine playing, as always!

Thank you very much for your interest and kind comment, David. I´m very happy you appreciate my voicing here! :D Also in your recordings you show us always a good sense for an elaborated and fine playing!

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
These are exemplary played as always

Thanks for that, Chris.

Quote:
though personally I find them rather too slow. Especially the fugue misses the exuberance that I seek in it, culminating in some joyous acrobatics.

I agree to that. I play this piece since a week only and I want to work out an interpretation, which has a bit more flow (tempo), mainly in the fugue. This recording was just the first attempt (to post it here helps me to play as decent as possible :) ).

Quote:
The prelude seems overall a bit lacking in dynamics and phrasing (though not in some places).

:o I thought I have done quite a lot of phrasing, but not so for you as it seems. I don´t want to make too much dynamics here, because I feel that prelude to be quite lyrical (as David wrote above). But I will think about this.

Quote:
I thought I heard a couple of read errors in the prelude. Will have to check with score tonight for some proper nitpicking

:D Since I play that piece only since a week, it can be, that there are read errors respecitve a not considered accidental or something like this. I think, you better shouldn´t put that recording on the main-site, because I will do another version after my journey to Holland.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the things I heard (or didn't hear) in the Prelude:

bar 20 I don't hear the first G in the RH
bar 39 The D in the RH comes too late
bar 45 The B flat in LH should be B natural
bar 60 (analogous to bar 20) I don't hear the first C in the RH
bar 68 I don't hear the A in the tenor

60% of these then could be due to my bad hearing :)
I did not hear anything wrong in the fugue - though the hesitation in bar 67 seems a bit too long
to be convincing.

HTH...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:03 am 

Quote:
Thanks for that, Scott!

Quote:

So, I´m curious on your recordings. Have you already posted them or will you still post them? Who is the author of that theatre piece? I don´t know it, sorry.

Andreas,

I'm curious about my recordings too. :wink: No they are not done yet. I don't have an acoustic piano at home so I rely on the one at my church, but it is not always easy getting me, my recorder, and my brain there all at the same time. When I think I have a decent recording, when I get home to listen to it I realize that I have made some bonehead mistake or it otherwise didn't sound as fabulous as it seemed to at the time.

"Joseph...." was written by Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice in the late '60s, about the same time as "Jesus Christ Superstar." It was originally written as a cantata for a boys school in England. It was many years later when it was first professionally staged. The story is the last part of Genesis about Joseph being sold as a slave into Egypt and rising to the second in power just under Pharoah. It is primarily in a rock / pop idiom similar to "J.C. Superstar" and in fact some of the music seems interchangeable between the two. At least nothing sounds like it should be in "Phantom of the Opera" or "Cats"!! :roll: It is a fun show to play, but can wreak havoc on ones technique (as if I had any to start with.)

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:43 am 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
bar 20 I don't hear the first G in the RH

Yes, right, I have played it, but it´s too weak, so that it can´t be heard.

Quote:
bar 39 The D in the RH comes too late

That´s also right, also I do a very small hesitation in bar 23 on the first beat in the tenor voice, which was not intended, but a little slip of the finger.

Quote:
bar 45 The B flat in LH should be B natural

You mean the last B natural in the bar in the LH, right? Yes, you are right here. (The first B-natural I play correctly as such, strange, why I didn´t so with the last one. :evil: )

Quote:
bar 60 (analogous to bar 20) I don't hear the first C in the RH

I think, I hear that C, sorry. It´s played pp, but I play the whole reprise pp. (But I have marked that in notes and will pay attention to it when I do my re-recording.)

Quote:
bar 68 I don't hear the A in the tenor

I also hear that A, as I said the whole reprise is in pp (with a bit left pedal).

Quote:
60% of these then could be due to my bad hearing :)

No no, let´s say only 10-20%. :P :wink:

Quote:
I did not hear anything wrong in the fugue

Phew, what am I a lucky man. :)

Quote:
- though the hesitation in bar 67 seems a bit too long
to be convincing.

The small hesitation is in bar 68 and you are right with this point!

Quote:
HTH...

:?:

Thank you very much for your feedback, Chris! I have marked all points in my score and will have a good eye on them while re-recording that piece. (But first let´s have some surf- and Dvorak-fun. :!: )
It´s good to have someone here with ears as good as bats!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:49 am 

Scott wrote:
Quote:
When I think I have a decent recording, when I get home to listen to it I realize that I have made some bonehead mistake or it otherwise didn't sound as fabulous as it seemed to at the time.

I know that experience, too...

"
Quote:
Joseph...." was written by Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice in the late '60s, about the same time as "Jesus Christ Superstar." It was originally written as a cantata for a boys school in England. It was many years later when it was first professionally staged. The story is the last part of Genesis about Joseph being sold as a slave into Egypt and rising to the second in power just under Pharoah. It is primarily in a rock / pop idiom similar to "J.C. Superstar" and in fact some of the music seems interchangeable between the two. At least nothing sounds like it should be in "Phantom of the Opera" or "Cats"!! :roll: It is a fun show to play, but can wreak havoc on ones technique (as if I had any to start with.)

Oh, thanks for these information. It´s very interesting and so I have an imagination of what style this piece is. I already have seen (and heard) "Jesus Christ Superstar". We have a "Musical factory" (it´s the name of a group, which perform musicals) here, where some of my pupils take part.