Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rachmaninoff, "Melodie", Op. 3, No. 3 (1940 revision)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:17 pm 

You would win hands down. :oops:

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:36 pm 

Here is the magnifying glass in Audacity:

Attachments:
Audacity.jpg
Audacity.jpg [ 108.26 KiB | Viewed 678 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:44 pm 

Hi Richard,

Nah, there's no winning or losing in posting recordings here, as it's not at all like a competition. It's just a sharing of on-going musical efforts, nothing more. So in that sense, everyone who participates here is a winner.

Also, thanks for putting up that screen view of Audacity. It cleared up the mystery for me, plus I was then able to spot a similar icon in AVS too.

David :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:18 am 

No, David, I meant to say I am sure you will do a very good job of Ljadov.

The magnifying glass lets you even se the wavelenghs going up and down. I had to use it when I was transferring my tapes to CD when there was mobile phone interference from the neighbour. It allowed me then to make such small cuts that the interferrence was gone but the music was whole.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:35 am 

Rachfan wrote:

Quote:
I always thought it would be interesting to study piano with a Russian pedagogue who spoke no English. Probably I'd learn a lot. :lol:

:lol: That´s funny, but has a "true marrow" (german: wahrer Kern, just a modest attempt to translate this metaphor), because music itself is something like an international worldwide language, isn´t it?!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:02 pm 

Hi Andreas,

Yes indeed, you're right about that. Plus no matter what country you're in, all the directions in the score are usually in Italian. :D

David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:10 pm 

Hi Richard,

I've started the first Liadov piece and am really pleased with it. So I think I'll enjoy playing some of this music.

I also was able to locate the magnifying glass icon on AVS as well. So I edited the edit and while not perfect, I think it's an improvement. I don't know if it'll be worthwhile replacing the archive file here though.

David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:41 pm 

Hello David

I only have two of his pieces: a prelude and a Sarabande.

Most of the works of Ljadov I know are for orchestra. Some you could attribute to the Stravinsky who wrote the Firebird, while others are quite conventional. It seems his longest work is an arrangement of 8 Russian folk-songs for orchestra, otherwise he was exclusively a miniaturalist.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 pm 

Hi Richard,

Liadov wrote extensively for piano as well, for example his preludes, etudes, and other character pieces. Some of it is light salon music, but he also wrote larger and a more extended set of variations. Liadov was Catoire's principal teacher of composition.

David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:59 pm 

Nice recording, David!
It's played in a "desperate", intense way. I'm more used to a more elegant Rachmaninov.

By the way... I could never use Audacity in both Windows or Linux. When I save a file in Audacity, it looses the quality (and it looses too much! It sounds like 16 kbps). :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm 

In what format do you save your files? I notice this if I import an MP3 and export it in the same format, but if I import and MP£ and export it as a WAV it sounds perfect, at least to my ears.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:22 pm 

It can be. I'd try it if I had not bought Nero Wave Editor yet. hehe

And there is another thing that annoys me: its equalizing is too... let me say... "straight"? I don't know how to say... but in Nero Wave Editor, the graph has a "curve", and I can tell the radio of the curve. In Audacity, it's linear.

I'm totally for open source programs. I quit MS Office for OpenOffice for over 10 years (when it was StarOffice). Nowadays I quit Finale for MuseScore. But I can't quit Nero Wave Editor (which is a very simple program) for Audacity. Not yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:38 pm 

Hi Felipe,

Except perhaps for a few moments when I have to contend with Rachmaninoff's difficult figuration, I don't detect any "desperation" in my performance, nor did I try to portray that quality in any way. This piece is constructed as a very complex duet. By its very nature, I interpret this ultra-romantic piece to be played with a full-blooded, intense passion and fervor. And I do believe I play numerous elegant nuances along the way. (Please don't refer me to the recordings of Rachmaninoff and Volodos--I've heard them a hundred times.) However, I do understand that everyone is different. If by way of elegance you prefer a more sedate, austere and reserved Victorian era sound, I believe that you would far more enjoy the original 1892 edition. This 1940 version is more "uptown".

I find Audacity to be less than optimal too, so I use AVS Audio Editor the few times I need to delete a page turn.

Thanks for listening!

David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:59 pm 

Rachfan wrote:
If by way of elegance you prefer a more sedate, austere and reserved Victorian era sound, I believe that you would far more enjoy the original 1892 edition. This 1940 version is more "uptown".

Hm... maybe I have only listened to the original version.
In fact, these lots of chords sounded new to me. I couldn't remember the Melodie being so busy for the fingers...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:28 pm 

Hi Felipe,

Yes there are far more notes in this 1940 revision. I would place the original 1892 version at an intermediate level, while this revision I play here is definitely advanced level. As I had mentioned in my introductory remarks, it's possible Rachmaninoff wanted a more complex piece to use as an encore on his tours.

David

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next