Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: How to make a Geyer gayer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:09 pm 

Following critiques of the recordings I submitted earlier on (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4671) I have been tinkering with the piano and made this recording. I was wondering if it is in your view an improvement. The piano needs tuning, of course, but that will come with time.

There was a bit of muffling behind the piano which I removed and the hiss apparently came from the computer, which I had omitted to turn off.

If it is not acceptable there will be no other solution than defenestrating the piano, which will be hard, because there is scaffolding in front of the shutters and they won't open.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

Last edited by richard66 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How to make a Geyer good
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:16 pm 

Richard,
I think you're on to something here. Except for the tuning and the fact that the louder high notes peaked (pegged the meter), I think it was fine. You may want to switch the microphone(s) closer to the bass side (away from the treble) and make sure you can't go "into the red zone" with your volume. Once you have the piano tuned it will sound inviting and beautiful. DISCLAIMER: I am no sound engineer. :wink:
Eddy.

Edit: Corrected spelling: swith -> switch (Ha Chris, you didn't get me on this one!)

Last edited by musical-md on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:10 am 
Site Admin

I too think that if you get your piano tuned, it will be okay and will actually sound like another one of our member's piano who records on an upright. I still hear a lot of hiss - I don't really know where it comes from. I may be 'hiss-sensitive' though, because I seem to hear more hiss than everybody else.

I do know that when I first started making recordings, I had a lot of hiss too. But now I use a different program where I can delete hiss and do all sorts of neat things. Also, if you want to see how much hiss you actually have in the recording, try burning your recording onto a CD and then playing that CD on various players, like your home stereo, and also your car. You will be surprised at how different your recording sounds on each machine :!:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:14 am 

Hi Richard,

I think this is a definite improvement and agree that once tuned, the piano should even sound better.

David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 pm 

Some gleam of hope here! Thank you for this!

Interesting about the peaks, because when I open the editing programme it in theory has not peaked, but as you say, Eddy, hat has.

I might try to take the hiss away, but my experience with Audacity is that one gets distirtion instead.

They have removed my cast today and the doctor said I need to do certain exercises, which are precisely the movements one uses to action the pedal. It is all very stiff today and there are workmen drilling outside, but hopefully tomorrow I will be able to use my other left foot. :D

Nowe, where is the tuner's telphone number? :?

Post subject: Re: How to make a Geyer gayer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

It certainly sounds a lot clearer than before. A shame some notes are really sour. But after a good tuning it will be quite acceptable, this doesn't seem to be a bad piano. The tuner's number is right there, in your Rolodex. Call him now :P
If there's any hiss it did not bother me. But I'm as hiss-insensitive as Monica is hiss-oversensitive.

I'm no Gershwin expert, but I'd say musically and technically there is still some work to be done here. Most important is to get a bit of freedom and lazy swing into it. Not at all easy...

Post subject: Re: How to make a Geyer gayer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:42 pm 

The tuner cometh. Next week it should be in the pink again. I mean the piano, not the tuner.

That was not really interpretation: it was a rather good practice session.