Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Rachmaninoff Concert No. 3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:18 pm 
Hi, Robert, Chris and friends from the Painosociety:

I would like to join this amazing society and here is my recording of the Rachmaninoff Concert No. 3 in D minor, which I recorded in 2004 with Fort Worth Symphony, conducted by Geoffrey Simon.
Hope you will like it.

All the best,
Lei

PS, Sorry I put the movements in a backward order in the attachment, 3rd-2nd-1st. :oops:

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Rach 3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:49 pm 
Bravo to you, Lei.

I am listening to the third movement of the concerto as I am writing this to you. Wonderful playing, with a tremendous amount of stamina -- a musical tour de force for performer, orcherstra, conductor and composer.

Welcome to the Piano Society, and I look forward to hearing more about your background and listen to more of your piano work.

Cheers,

Joe <jcfeli>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Lei,

Thank you so much for submitting these to our site. I would assume these are free of copyright and that we can publish them on the site ? Please be aware that they will be freely downloadable to everybody in the world !

Great performance of this elephant concerto. You have all the technique it requires, and then some. A shame the sound quality is't optimal, there is a, awful amount of background hiss and and hum and the piano tone is unflattering. For a live recording, not bad though. The orchestra is not world-class either (though Geoffrey Simon I have always admired - his London recordings for Chandos are marvelllous).

You play it very free and capricious which is perhaps a good thing, though it also makes this huge concerto sound a bit episodic, rather than the broad sweeping canvas I think it is. In some places I found your accents a bit too ferocious, like in the 1st mvt. cadenza. I always feel a bit disappointed when a pianist chooses the 'lighter' cadenza ... Yes I know the composer did so too, but I believe the 'heavy' one is so much better and more effective. Ah well, to each his preference. It is very well done, and as Joe remarked you show great stamina in the finale, leading to a rablle-rousing conclusion. Well done !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:23 am 

Good lord, man! A very Kapellesque performance.

Pete

Post subject: Re: Rach 3
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:16 am 
Joe:
Thank you for your kind words and warm regards. I will certainly upload my playing more and would like to exchange ideas with you guys.

It is only my first day in piano society, and I am already liking it.

cheers.
Lei

[quote="jcfeli"]Bravo to you, Lei.

I am listening to the third movement of the concerto as I am writing this to you. Wonderful playing, with a tremendous amount of stamina -- a musical [i]tour de force[/i] for performer, orcherstra, conductor and composer.

Welcome to the Piano Society, and I look forward to hearing more about your background and listen to more of your piano work.

Cheers,

Joe <jcfeli>[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:32 am 
Hello:
Thank you for reminding me of the copyright. I submit this because Robert told me to post my recording for audition for Pianosociety. Since I am new here, I didn't know it will be completely free for downloading.

I am not quite sure if the copyright will be a problem from the orchestra, they normally don't want their recording/performance to be downloaded for free. Maybe I should take out the recording?

Thank you for your kind words and comments. I liked the "smaller" cadenza when I learned this concert. But nowadays, I start to like the "bigger" one more and more, probablly I will play it in the fure.

I am glad you know and like Geoffrey. I performed with him a couple of times. He is so funny and has endless energy, and of course a great conductor!

cheers,
Lei

[quote="techneut"]Hello Lei,

Thank you so much for submitting these to our site. I would assume these are free of copyright and that we can publish them on the site ? Please be aware that they will be freely downloadable to everybody in the world !

Great performance of this elephant concerto. You have all the technique it requires, and then some. A shame the sound quality is't optimal, there is a, awful amount of background hiss and and hum and the piano tone is unflattering. For a live recording, not bad though. The orchestra is not world-class either (though Geoffrey Simon I have always admired - his London recordings for Chandos are marvelllous).

You play it very free and capricious which is perhaps a good thing, though it also makes this huge concerto sound a bit episodic, rather than the broad sweeping canvas I think it is. In some places I found your accents a bit too ferocious, like in the 1st mvt. cadenza. I always feel a bit disappointed when a pianist chooses the 'lighter' cadenza ... Yes I know the composer did so too, but I believe the 'heavy' one is so much better and more effective. Ah well, to each his preference. It is very well done, and as Joe remarked you show great stamina in the finale, leading to a rablle-rousing conclusion. Well done ![/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:39 am 
hi, Pete:
what does Kapellesque mean?

Actually, when I first played this concerto, I had the same feeling as pianist David Helfgott had in the movie Shine, when he played this concerto. I had a second of mental blackout! I watched my fingers running, but my mind was not. Luckily, I picked it up and didn't faint! :-p

[quote="PJF"]Good lord, man! A very Kapellesque performance.

Pete[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:18 am 
Site Admin

Download the recordings as I write this post and it will be extremely interesting to listen to them. The famous Rach 3:rd is something that I have been missing on the site since the start so I would be vert happy if we could host the recordings.

This forum is not visible for non-members so the recordings do not go really public here. But on the site they will. I hope it is possible to work something out with the orchestra and Geoffrey Simon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:45 am 

Or you can just record yourself playing without the orchestra...sure there will be a few moments of silence every now and then but it will still be as impressive. :P

On a serious note. I am awstruck. How long have you been playing? How long did it take you to learn this? *Applause*

-JG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Splendid!

I am sure we can work something out as this is a non-profitable site (=we do not earn money).

About the recording quality. There is a bit hiss but at least when not listening to the recording in head-phones, I do not find it disturbing.

It is admirable to have the guts to tackle this giant masterpiece. It is 45 minutes of music that needs to be memorized and the technical issues involved more or less summarizes everything in Rachmaninov's compositions. It is a bit slower that the "avarge" recording of it but if you compare it to Horowitz's recording from 1951 (which is world wide accepted as his best and among the best interpretations ever) the tempo is about the same. Rach himself played it considerable faster but lets not forget that he is among the best pianists ever stepped on this planet and this more thoughtful tempo work very well.

I think both you and the orchestra do a wonderful job. A little out of sync in some spots (as for example in the end of movement 2) but for anyone who have played along with an orchestra, this is understandable. There are just a few slips and nothing terrible at all so overall, I think this is a very good recording that I would be extremely proud to host on the site! A masterpiece that I have felt been missing since day one so if there is anything I can do to help you convincing Geoffrey and the orchestra to have this recording up, I am here to serve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:59 pm 

leiweng wrote:
hi, Pete:
what does Kapellesque mean?

Actually, when I first played this concerto, I had the same feeling as pianist David Helfgott had in the movie Shine, when he played this concerto. I had a second of mental blackout! I watched my fingers running, but my mind was not. Luckily, I picked it up and didn't faint! :-p

PJF wrote:
Good lord, man! A very Kapellesque performance.

Pete

I was referring to the volatile playing style of the American pianist William Kapell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:16 am 

Hey Lei
Welcome in the Piano Society
Very nice playing.I am listening to the last movement as I am writing.
You have a very good technic.Very good musically.
A few comments.Please don't get offended.

1.Make sure that the melody is always heard.Sometimes the melody is kinda hard to hear
2.The middle part of the 3rd movement,in my opinion needs a little more calm and contrast in the touch and the sound.That way the return of A will be even more effective.
3.Sometimes you get really soft to let the orchestra being heard(especially in the middle section).This is very good,however in my opinion you are doing it sometimes too much.
4.The most important thing,the cadence:

a)in my opinion,not enough bass.In my opinion,more bass is needed.It is(for me)the fight between evil and good,David and Goliath.You are David,you are the good.Win it!!!!

b)the melody is probably the most important thing.I think there is not enough rubato and to quote Stanislav Ioudenitch "in Rachmaninoff,there is never too much rubato"(more or less his words.a few years back he said that)

c)Whatever you are doing at the last page or so,however fast you are going don't forget that the orchestra and you, are forming one.Especially be careful to be together with the percussions.
For me,percussions and piano have to be together at all costs in the end,especially in the last page.

Again,please don't get offended.If you get offended,please accept my apologies.
I am known to be direct and say what i feel and think.
Where are you studying?Who is your teacher?