Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Pierre Gallant-Six Variations on 'Land of the Silver Birch'.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:05 pm 
Hi all, I thought I'd share a recording that I made of a piece by a Canadian composer, Pierre Gallant. I would highly doubt if anyone has heard of the piece before (I'm not sure if the theme, Land of the Silver Birch, is known outside of Canada because my understanding is that it's a Native American song or something, let me know if I'm wrong!). This has been "my" piece for a while, I've done very well with it and since it is "new music" it doesn't get played often at all.

Comments very appreciated!

Jeff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

You're right. It sounds Native American.
I think you played it well, but I cannot comment on it much since I've never heard it before.
Also, my tastes run more to classic and romantic style music. I know that may sound funny, because you're probably thinking that this piece is full of romance in its pensive and then building to more turbulent variations. But this kind of music reminds me of something you hear when you're watching a travel show.
Again, you played well. These are just my crazy opinions. You will hear many opinions on this forum. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

An interesting novelty ! I'd never heard of Gallant before. Sounds like an Indian theme, very atmospheric. Not a theme with lots of potential for vatiation, and I don't feel Gallant does enough with it. It gets a bit monotonous even though the fast variations bring about plenty of excitement.

Great playing Jeff. You make a good case for this work. There seem to be a few frays here and there in the RH in the fast variations but nothing distracting and it coule even be an illusion. The final variation you dispatch with real gusto, the glissandi are vey well done, the last one particularly effective. Well done and thanks for recording it !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:28 am 
Site Admin

I can't find much on Pierre Gallant but it seems he was born in 1951 so I assume he is alive and kicking. This means that we can not put this up the site unless the composer gives his permission for it.

Any chance you could get in touch with him and ask ?

Seems he's written more piano music, do you (plan to) play any ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:08 am 
Thanks for the feedback all! This is probably my favorite of all the pieces that I have played.

Mr. Gallant is alive as far as I've ever heard, I did try e-mailing his publisher to see if I could get in contact with him. I think my teacher who first taught me the piece did the same thing and corresponded with him a bit. As far as other music of his I have not played anything else, I have not come across anything other than what he has written for early-years pianists. But I'd been meaning to see if I could ask him if he had more that I could play, so I inquired about that in my e-mail to him!

Jeff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:47 am 
Site Admin

I liked this recording as well and it would be nice to have less famous composers up as Pierre Gallant.

We already have a couple of living ones as Martinsson and Shere. We have gotten their specific acceptance to host their music so as long you can get that, it would be great (an email would do).