Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: New to Piano
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:12 pm 
because of Chopin, my first piece is perlude No 4 in e minor when I was at age 21, I'm now 23 and I think I'm doing well but I need help from experts, because I work alone, and I teach myself.
shall I post it here or not to give me notices about my playing?

I think it is a very easy piece I don't know if I should post it or not??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:16 am 
Site Admin

Yes you can post it into this forum and even into this topic if you want comments on your interpretation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:58 pm 
I record one by sound forge and it was nice but when I save it, it was very bad

so I go back and record tow version one without the mice boost in the sound recorder by windows but the sound was very trouble

I'm realy sorry, I'll try to record another one for you some times later

but here is the files

I'm realy sorry for this bad recordings, bad mic and piano

but tell me please about the performance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

I believe the left hand should play the repeating chords in a much more steady fashion. Like the left hand is your metronome. I thought I heard a metronome in the background, but you weren't following it. Maybe it was just static. Anyway, I think your dynamics are good. I just like a steadier pulse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:01 pm 
I agree with pianolady that it is way too much rubato so it is not flowing forward as this piace usually does. Meaning that it doesn't sound good if you speed up so gradually and then slow down very fastly. I also guess there is a wrong voice in 1:05 but it is not so important.

The main thing was that it is possible to get into the music and keep the rythm at the same time. If the rythm doesn't work the piece becomes restless.

I liked your left hand chords because all notes came at the same time and it is good that there was some musicality in your playing!

PS. Might be good for you to play just the left hand (or why not both hands) with metrone really carefully. Only after you can keep the tempo very well you can rubato but still only a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:56 pm 
thanks so much
because I do it alone all my fiends and family told me that I have a lot of feelings but I think because of chopin not me
by the way I record this very fast and I didn't do it as the first one, and it was very hot and noisy and I was in herry and didn't get in the mood so plz forgive me

about the constant in left hand I think it well remove the feelings

any way mu second piece I played was moonlight sonata for Beet movment 1 I'm going to post both the E minor and moonlight later thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:08 pm 
you are right about 1:05 mistake, thank you saori for noticing this thanks a lot, I weren't aware of it

one thing I don't have a metronome

one thing I forgot to say, that I tuned the paino by myself from one year I think, so it is in a very bad tuning

here is the moon light sonata

I don't know why each time I record I mistake a lot

give me your opinon please, but remeber that I've learned alone

[Admin edit: Attachments deleted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:51 pm 
where are you pianolady and saori
what do you thin of MoonLight
I think there is a lot of mistakes and I played a lot of forte and there were no piano as it should be

I record my next piece raindrop Prelude No 15 for Chopin but I'm waiting for your comments I realy loved it

ps: :shock: why there is no much download for the pieces I played

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:42 pm 
Good job!
You have improved really much since your last recordings, or at least you play moonlight much better than Chopin prelude no. 4. The rythm keeps it in shape. Good work!

As you noticed your self, just few wrong notes so it is not too bad. And try to get more dynamics so then the piece will become more alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Rami, why are you posting multiple versions of the same pieces ? I understand you have multiple takes of a piece, but please only post the take that you think is the best.

The sound is rather horrible, partly due the to the honky-tonky piano, partly due to the recording. As for your interpretations, the Mondschein is not bad (expect from the mistake in the beginning) but really you should not apply so much rubato in Beethoven. Remember that rubato was not invented yet by then. Very subtle ritenuti are ok but you seem have a problem keeping a steady tempo. Some practice with a metronome could do wonders.

The Chopin prelude comes off rather badly I'm afraid. The tempo is wobbly, there are a couple of glaring wrong notes in the climax, and I think you play the RH in the last bar an octave too high ?
Rubato should only really be applied - and then very consciously - after you have learned to play in time. The concept of rubato in Chopin is not an excuse to pull the tempo about every few notes and rush along at every opportunity. I recommend practising Bach along with Chopin.

If you can improve on your tempo steadiness and recording quality (and have that darned piano tuned :wink: ) it will be a lot better !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:30 pm 
thanks a lot
but does rubato mean?

and one thing, I've learned alone, and I am just playing fot only 2 years and I began from age 21 so please forgive me

as I said I've tuned the piano myself, so forgive me. and there is bad recording too.

and about the tempo I can keep the same tempo but I think there will be no feelings at all

thanks so much I'll take this notes in consideration

I'll post raidrop later and after Sonata for Chopin No2 in Bb minor movment 3 funeral march.

about bach I played avi maria prlude, but as I said I played the piano because of Chopin and I'll keep doing Chopin for now, so if you can advice me about some Chopin or Liszt

and I have a very big problem taht I have a very small hand I can hardly get from C to the next D, I'm realy doing my best but I dont' have a lot of times, I'm still student at Damascus Unversity-Eonomy College- the forth year and I'm working at day in iron; I think it is bad for the piano, and at night I work in computers, so I can play only at noon for an hour this what i can do for now, and with no teacher only my feelings, I thnink it's great to do what I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:00 pm 
ok

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:03 pm 
hi again and sorry for the late

I don't know why only when I try to record I mistake alot

any way here is the tow peices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, that damned piano again.... It is really no fun to listen to. So let's concentrate on the playing.

The Raindrop prelude is really too slow I think, there are a couple of reading errors, and you are very unsure in the ornaments and passagework. In the middle section, the LH melody should be more in the foreground, not the RH drone - we know about that by then. In the climax of the middle section, you make some ugly rushes, best to keep that in strict tempo, and create the drama using dynamics, not 'rubato' (have you looked that term up yet ? :wink: )
Overall you need to take care with chords, make sure you play them evenly (that is, press all the keys at the same time).

The funeral march... now that was hard listening. Good that you started over, as it was beyond repair the first and second time, but why on earth did you not cut out the two wrong parts ? It's also very slow, not so much the march as the trio - which should really bring some light and contrast. The march itself should be more desperate and grim. There is a persistent wrong note in one of the chords where the theme gets transformed into major. I suggest that you listen to a recording, and listen to your own recording, score in hand, and try to find the errors.

Apart from a couple of nasty mistakes, these are technically not too bad. But both these pieces are not the most exciting and varied, and a pianist must really do a lot to make them interesting and to keep up the listener's attention. Just going through the notes is not enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

I only had time to listen to the Raindrop prelude. Overall, I thought it was okay. The thing that bothered me the most was what Techneut said; the tempo. The first and last parts dragged, and you should not randomly rush some of the measures in the middle section. Watch your counting too. I think I heard a couple extra “raindrops” in one place, and not enough in another place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:23 pm 
thanks a lot I'll try to work with your notice thanks a lot

one thing I realy only do this bad only when recording I don't why, the mistakes in reading notes is only when recording, I record almost all the pieces in hurry so it was very bad

I'll try to tune my paino or go to my friend studio and record all them again maybe better

I realy loved your notice you are right in these recording but I'm not realy like this sp please frogive me and rememver that I work alone and I'm very new ( only one year and a half or more) and began from a late age so please frogive and wait to listen som Liszt I did you will see the bad playing.

anyway my next pieces are Prlude No6, Noctrun C sharp minor and Nocturne op 27 no 1 it is also C sharp minor.

thanks again, thank you very much for giving me the notes I'll try to consider it when I finish my work, may be this weak, when the college start I'll have more time for the piano and the recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:10 pm 
saori
where are you, I missed some possitive comment from you, what do you think of my last raindrop and funeralmarch.
I record the pieces I promised you about but my flash disk has broken, so it will be some late.

any way I'm recording the pieces in the order I learned them but I forgot to post (Fur elise and rondo alla turca and hyngarian dance no5) I'll post them after the chopins but they where before the chopins.

I noticed that I mistake a lot because of all the negative comment from :evil: :twisted: :evil: .... maybe I began to be afraid from these comment, because my firend listen to the raindrop I record and said it's not my playing, it was a kid not me, so I may need to commnet from saori.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Paradis, you will not always get responses from the same people all the time. That's the nature of a forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:30 pm 

paradis wrote:
saori
where are you, I missed some possitive comment from you, what do you think of my last raindrop and funeralmarch.
I record the pieces I promised you about but my flash disk has broken, so it will be some late.

any way I'm recording the pieces in the order I learned them but I forgot to post (Fur elise and rondo alla turca and hyngarian dance no5) I'll post them after the chopins but they where before the chopins.

I noticed that I mistake a lot because of all the negative comment from :evil: :twisted: :evil: .... maybe I began to be afraid from these comment, because my firend listen to the raindrop I record and said it's not my playing, it was a kid not me, so I may need to commnet from saori.

Getting a negative comment is not a bad thing. One of the best ways to improve is to listen to the criticisms and apply the suggestions of fellow pianists. Don't fear critics; we all start at the beginning; we all make mistakes; we all must own our shortcomings. Incidentally, the first two pieces I learned were "Moonlight Sonata" and the "Raindrop Prelude". Two years would pass before I showed significant improvement and ten years passed before I was able to play advanced pieces. It's a gradual process, like the mighty oak growing from the acorn. At first, it seems impossibly slow. This is where patience and a teacher pay dividends.

Don't get frustrated, your problems are common to beginners and can be fixed.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:04 am 
paradis wrote:
saori

Heh, I post rarely but is is nice to hear someone missing me.

In my opinion, Funeral March was much better than the prelude.
I felt the prelude boring, maybe because of extraordinary slow tempo. I'm sure it will get better and better if you still keep playing it.
The Funeral March, I'm glad to hear there a large ammounts of dynamics. That tells that you can play quietly and loud. I don't have the sheet in front of me so I can't say anything were the dynamics as Mr. Chopin planed. I like your steady trills. But the midle part of F.M wasn't too good to my ears. Left hand arpegios didn't (can't pull up any word :D )... Keep working on so you keep improving alot.

BTW, do you remember theese pieces by heart or you play from scores?

Edit:
The reason why I don't give so crtitcal feedback is because I don't wan't anybody to get frustrated and I try to courage them to play more. I also try to pick up the good sides up. But I usually never say anything about other people playing.
I also really think you need critic to notice where you are doing wrong.

PS.I suck at putting my ideas into words. :roll: